“Something different”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #83 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I love (actually prefer) the highrise hotels in Chicago. They are modern and beautiful. HOWEVER, it you want a change of pace with charm and personality- The Drake is the place. The location is fabulous and the executive lounge provides some great views of Lake Michigan. Rooms are very spacious. Historic and Iconic. A must stay at least once.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
StefanGruvberger, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations on TripAdvisor. You're correct in saying The Drake is a change of pace for Chicago hotels. We pride ourselves on the history and iconic status of our fine establishment. I hope that, while you prefer highrise hotels, you come back to The Drake to create lasting memories.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel approximately once per year for the last ten years or so and love it. First of all, the location is great. It is right on Michigan Avenue at the far north end of the Magnificent Mile, prime shopping and dining territory. Second of all, it is a classic grand hotel kept in tip-top shape, with great doormen, and efficient and respectful front desk staff. Even the housekeeping staff is friendly and courteous. It features, in the lower level, the Coq d’Or. This is a very upscale bar with upscale drinks and Scotch, and great accompanying food--the oysters Rockefeller are so good we ordered a second helping. On the main level is the elegant Palm Court, which often features live big-band music and dancing on weekend nights. We have not eaten at their high-end restaurant, Drake Brothers, although that same dining room is used for the breakfast buffet, and we have eaten there--it is great! The only drawback to staying at this restaurant is the cost of parking in downtown Chicago--ouch! In that regard, check the hotel's website and call them about special packages. There are always several, and one usually includes parking at a rate lower than parking on your own. We are well-traveled, and love this place.

Room Tip: A room overlooking Lake Michigan is a beautiful thing!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Drake on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased that The Drake ranks as "one of your favorite hotels in the whole-wide world!" We truly strive to leave a lasting impression on our guests, where a simple stay becomes a tradition. We look forward to welcoming you back for years to come.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The room was very spacious. The view of Michigan avenue was nice. It is very close to lots of stuff on Rush street etc. The shopping close to the Drake is a bit upscale for me, but hey so is the cost of the Drake. March is a very cold time to go to Chicago, brrrr. I thought the noise from Michigan avenue would be a problem, it was not. The room was rather warm, and we had the heat off, so we did find out the window will open, let the fresh air in. The room we had was clean, comfortable. Stay here at least once. It's history is very interesting.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Positives: 1)*nice, helpful staff (except for one) 2) nice view of the lake from my room 3) clean room 4) plenty of hot water. *The concierge, valet attendants and bellmen were extremely courteous and helpful - I felt pampered by them. I also had one particularly nice housekeeping lady who went to another floor and brought me a bucket of ice because the machine on my floor was broken. She then placed an out of order sign on the machine which was needed. Negatives: 1) initially brought wrong bags to room (while this was corrected, I was in an extreme hurry to change for a meeting and was very inconvenienced by this mistake) 2) refrigerator was barely cool (not cold at all) and had some mold and rusty spots in it - very tacky) 3) mattress was very uncomfortable (dip in the middle) 4) pillows extremely uncomfortable (too soft and flat) 5) a/c and/or heater blower was very loud 6) ice machine on my floor was not working (very nice housekeeping staff person went and got me ice) 7) outlet in bathroom - prongs very loose, wouldn't hold my hair curling or drying appliances 8) make up mirror in bathroom is fastened to wall way too high! I'm 5' tall and it was at least 1 foot over my head 9) was told by a staff person to enjoy the seafood at the Cape Cod restaurant - walked all over looking for it (very hard to find) and IT WAS CLOSED because it was a Monday...staff should have known this! 10) Food and drinks in Brothers Drake restaurant much too expensive 11) was denied my 5% AARP discount for the stay because I didn't indicate it when I made my reservation 12) did not feel my issues were taken seriously or with any real consideration when I discussed at checkout. For $219 a night with $65 for parking, I definitely expected better conditions and customer service. Very, very disappointing stay for a Hilton. Will not stay here again and will not recommend it to anyone.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
StefanGruvberger, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

It was very disappointing to read that you did not experience The Drake Standard of hospitality during your stay with us. I would like nothing more than the opportunity to discuss the specifics of your stay further. In no way would I ever want a guest leaving our landmark hotel with such an impression. I appreciate your observations and, if you would, please email me your TripAdvisor name and the best time to contact you and I will reach out at your earliest convenience to speak with you directly.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I loved the ambience of The Drake. I stayed because of HH but really wanted my neice who is in UIC for Architecture, to see the Hotel. She noted the inlaid ceilings, the elevators with couches, the mail shoot, the powder room, etc. I felt Marilyn Monroe had just checked out~!

1  Thank Liz S
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Stayed here with my husband and two grown up children. Was a wonderful experience from start to finish. Did not dine in the hotel but consider it to be a well positioned historical hotel full of character. Would stay there again on a heartbeat.

Room Tip: View of lake .... Amazing!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Peacefield123
StefanGruvberger, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

On behalf of the entire Drake Hotel Team, thank you for your truly gracious review of our National Historic Landmark hotel. I enjoy reading about families who appreciate the background story of our hotel: almost a century of famed Chicago corruption, passion and scandal have passed through our doors. We welcome you back and hope you have the opportunity to try one of our internationally renowned restaurants.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Drake. It was such a nice hotel. the Lobby is amazing, the rooms so couzy and the whole impression is just excellent. its location was just perfect to go for a stroll and discover some local highlights. I cannot wait to return to the Drake!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Dennis B

We can't wait to have you back! Thank you for taking the time to share your observations of our historic property. Perhaps, when you come back, the REAL CHICAGO history tour will be open so that you can get an in depth look at how The Drake has remained the fulcrum of controversy, scandal and romance for almost 100 years! We appreciate your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.