“Chillcation”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #85 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 2, 2014

absolutely wonderful two nights in superb accomadations. within walking distance to Del Frisco's and Gibson's two of my most wonderful restaurants in Chicago. Love the Coq 'dOr and the history of the bar and hotel. Very clean and NICE. Wonderful staff. Looking forward to my next trip there.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Write a ReviewReviews (4,101)

Reviewed February 28, 2014

My stay this time was much better than my prior stay aided in part by the nice welcome present by Stefan and his team. My room had a great view of Lake Michigan and the beach, the hotel is in a great location if the temps are warm enought to walk up and down Michigan Ave, and the gym is quite new and big. I didn't get to experience the Executive Lounge this time around since it's closed for the next few months, which is disappointing since it has great views and since the desk did not highlight this closure at the time of my checking into the hotel, which screwed up my plans for breakfast one morning. There is breakfast comp'd at the hotel restaurant though for anyone that would have previously had breakfast in the lounge. All in a very nice stay.

1  Thank CLEShawn
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you for your kind words on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased that we were able to change your mind about The Drake. It's unfortunate that the executive lounge was closed during your latest visit but we're just preparing the room for your next to enhance the overall stay. Chicago in February is brutal, thank you for seeking shelter at The Drake and, on behalf of Stefan and the entire Drake team, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I have stayed at the Drake 3 or 4 times in the past 5 years. I like it but will say it's weird in it's it's layout. Rooms are all very different. I have seen rooms where the door actually hits the bed it's so small, to suites where I decided to sleep on the couch to cut the travel distance to the bathroom in half. This last time my standard sized room with King sized bed actually had two full bathrooms. The hotel bar is also an interesting place to hang out. I have tilted many beers here with coworkers while watching hookers work the crowd. Good people watching experience. In all, it's a beautiful old Hotel right on the lake close to nice restaurants and high end shopping. I will gladly stay here again. I just hope I don't get one of the closet sized rooms again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations on TripAdvisor. You are correct, we are a very unique hotel in that regard. When The Drake opened in 1920 we had 900 guest rooms, we now have 535. The smaller rooms you see were actually the suites and the larger rooms are combinations of the tinier accommodations. In the early 20th century, a luxury hotel placed emphasis on entertainment and cuisine-- today I think we've reached a happy medium. If you are ever displeased with your room, please contact a member of management and we'll be happy to assist. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Loved the grand, old feel of this place. However, the service was a little cold and impersonal. Everything else was good enough though for our 1 night stay. Clean, large and comfortable rooms. Location is great, would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

"Impressive" and "grand" are definitely two adjectives that I enjoy reading in reviews of our national historic hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share. I was disappointed to read that you felt our service was cold and impersonal, as that is obviously not The Drake Standard of Hospitality. If you have a moment and would like to discuss your stay further, please email me with you TripAdvisor name and contact info and I will reach out at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

The minute you walk into the hotel you feel the overall elegance of a world past. We did early check in and it is well worth it. We also had High Tea in the Palm Court. It was incredible...the food was fabulous..the service was fabulous..and of course the tea was great!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sherry W

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I'm so pleased you were able to feel The Drake's Standard of hospitality. Deerfield is not so far, you should make tea monthly tradition!

Did you know that we will be launching a "Real Chicago" tour and lunch in April? It is the only way to really take in the historical nature of The Drake. Thanks so much for your kind words and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a great old hotel close to great shopping. Very clean and elegant. View of the lake from my room on the 7th floor looking north was fabulous. I recommend a drink and a dance in the Palm Court on Friday or Saturday night. Classic 1940s Chicago style bar with jazz.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I love The Drake and always stay there when I go to Chicago and my recent trip was no exception. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel comfortable and they promptly attend to your requests. The lobby is the most elegant in Chicago. On my most recent visit I noticed a few things in my room that indicated the hotel is showing its age - some chipped paint on the trim in the room, dated wallpaper, and some scratched up furniture - that's the only reason I didn't rate it higher. I'll still go back to The Drake the next time I go to Chicago.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your loyalty to The Drake Hotel. I truly appreciate customers like you who understand that we are a national historic landmark and that we will never try to be something we are not. As a team we are always looking for anything we can improve to make sure your stay is as perfect as humanly possible. Your feedback will be used to better our establishment and for that, I thank you.