“Great Hotel Close to Shopping”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #85 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a great old hotel close to great shopping. Very clean and elegant. View of the lake from my room on the 7th floor looking north was fabulous. I recommend a drink and a dance in the Palm Court on Friday or Saturday night. Classic 1940s Chicago style bar with jazz.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Write a ReviewReviews (4,101)

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I love The Drake and always stay there when I go to Chicago and my recent trip was no exception. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel comfortable and they promptly attend to your requests. The lobby is the most elegant in Chicago. On my most recent visit I noticed a few things in my room that indicated the hotel is showing its age - some chipped paint on the trim in the room, dated wallpaper, and some scratched up furniture - that's the only reason I didn't rate it higher. I'll still go back to The Drake the next time I go to Chicago.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you for your loyalty to The Drake Hotel. I truly appreciate customers like you who understand that we are a national historic landmark and that we will never try to be something we are not. As a team we are always looking for anything we can improve to make sure your stay is as perfect as humanly possible. Your feedback will be used to better our establishment and for that, I thank you.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Went for 3 day weekend with the family. We stayed in a family room, lots of room and TWO bathrooms. Every staff member we encountered was very friendly and very helpful. Hotel is beautiful, location is great. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Greg S
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I was in town for a wedding and the Drake had a good deal. So I decided to try it. I was disappointed. For a famous Chicago hotel, everything was just okay. The bed was very uncomfortable. And the hallways and my room had sort of an old smell. I also don't like being that far north on Michigan Ave. Everything feels so far away.

The breakfast offerings in the Executive Lounge were good. And the view from my room was amazing. But I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations on TripAdvisor. I have to say, I'm deeply saddened that you did not experience The Drake Standard of hospitality. We pride ourselves on making sure our guests have an impressively unique Chicago experience. We were built north of the river by the lake to ensure a relaxing resort feel-- and you're right, the view is amazing because of it. I would like to speak with you further regarding your stay. If you'd be so kind to email me your TripAdvisor name and contact information I will reach out at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

My significant other and I decided to treat ourselves to dinner and drinks and wanted to stay somewhere close to the restaurant we were going to for Valentine's day for a short romantic getaway. I wish this hotel had more to offer in the way of a pool or perhaps a bar (the hotel restaurant and lounge was booked for Valentine's day reservations). The room was nice, but the hotel itself had little to offer.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

What a fantastic tradition to start-- Valentine's Day at The Drake Hotel! It's unfortunate you weren't able to experience any of our restaurants (Cape Cod, Coq d'Or, Palm Court, Drake Bros') during your stay, they all provide a different atmosphere for whatever you're looking for. We hope to see you back next year to celebrate with us again!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The minute you walk through the door at the Drake you know you are going to enjoy your stay.

The reception is opulent and the reception staff are first class.

The rooms are spacious and always clean, the beds are really comfortable and for an older hotel the showers are really efficient.

Breakfast is good slightly overpriced.

The bar areas are a joy and the service is great.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Truly a charming, old world experience that you must experience over and over again. High Tea, the fine dining at the famous Cape Cod Room, a cozy leisurely lunch at the Coq, how about some shopping too right in the hotel.. I could go on and on.. I will be back with the grandchildren so that they can experience the finest!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Put it on your monthly bucket list! Thank you for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor. I truly enjoy reading the reviews from guests who take in everything our landmark property has to offer. It was deemed a "city within a city" for a reason: four famed restaurants, shopping, entertainment, and lovely accommodations. I appreciate the fact that you were able to enjoy The Drake to the fullest. Come see us again soon!