“Historic Grandeur remains relevant”
Review of The Drake Hotel

The Drake Hotel
Ranked #81 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Atlanta, United States
“Historic Grandeur remains relevant”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I was rarely in the hotel room, but upon arrival, it was clear the level of service was high. The hotel from entry to the room was clean and quiet. The restaurant was undergoing renovations, but there are restaurants nearby this location and a coffee shop was on the lower level next to the flower shop. There is a large dining area which appears to be more of a meeting space for guests. It was quite grand and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for your delightful review of The Drake Hotel. I appreciate your observations in reference to our atmosphere being clean and comfortable. It's unfortunate you didn't have the opportunity to visit the Cape Cod restaurant because of the floor renovation. The good news is, Cape Cod has been in The Drake for over 80 years so perhaps next time you're in town you can grab a bite in the nation's first themed seafood restaurant.

russell.menkes@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
  • Turkish first
Bull Valley
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I called to upgrade a room to a suite for friends that were a taking there. I filled out a credit card authorization form and was charged for the room upgrade. My friends were excited about our little anniversary gift surprise for them. I find out later on that even though I paid for the room upgrade (and was charged) that they were charged as well and that the front desk would not let them leave until they were charged for the room upgrade. I called and was able to get it corrected, but they ruined a nice surprise for their anniversary by making them worry about covering charges they did not expect to pay for. I have asked three times for a receipt to be mailed to me for the charges I incurred. I guess I will now have to ask a fourth time. They took a surprise gesture for our friends and ruined it. I handle a lot of corporate events and the request I had was very simple and straight forward.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kim t
Giving the gift of an upgrade was a truly thoughtful present and I know that when it comes to a less than perfect hospitality experience it is difficult to enjoy your stay. That being said, I hope your gift did not go unnoticed and more than anything, I hope they were able to have a romantic anniversary at The Drake. If it is possible, I'd like to discuss your experience with you directly. If you would be so kind as to email me your TripAdvisor name and the best way to contact you, I will reach out at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We went in early Dec. for a weekend of shopping, dining, and seeing a Christmas Carol. The Drake had beautiful holiday decorations up. We were able to purchase tickets to the Shed Aquarium from the concierge, thus by-passing the line. We enjoyed our entire stay. Love the location.

Room Tip: We up graded to a premium room. More space and right on Michigan Ave.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank John P
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My fiance and I made a trip downtown for NYE to go to dinner in the Signature Room of the John Hancock and then staying at the Drake that night. Overall, the service and accommodations at the Drake are fantastic! The historic beauty of the place has a great feel. In addition, the lake view was wonderful and we were treated very nicely by the staff. I highly recommend the Drake as a getaway for a weekend or for your stay in Chicago.

Room Tip: The lake view rooms are what make the Drake special.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for choosing The Drake Hotel as your New Year's Eve destination. While our historic charm tends to get people in the door, it's the memories created inside that keeps people coming back. I'm so pleased you and your fiance enjoyed yourselves and I appreciate your comments about the service and accommodations. I hope to see you back at The Drake soon!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Arrived early on very cold day, but room was ready.Check in was quick & hassell free. All staff were pleasant and quick to help. Luggage arrived at room within 5 minutes. Great view of lake and shore line. We were celabrating wife's birthday and Hotel had cake waiting in room. As this turned out to be record breaking cold weekend we spent much time in bar staying warm. Will return to Drake next trip to Chicago and have told friends of wonderful time.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for not only sharing your story on TripAdvisor but also advising your friends to visit our landmark property. This has been a brutal winter but you have to appreciate The Drake's "City within a City" atmosphere: five restaurants, shops and entertainment-- you never have to venture out into the cold. I'm pleased you'd choose The Drake for your wife's birthday and we hope we'll see you again for another happy occasion.

Marion, Iowa
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We spent time this weekend with family and had. A wonderful time! We stayed at the Drake 20+ years ago, and it was nice! but not like this time. Rooms were well appointed (we had a king and a family double room). Maybe they view could have been better, but the design and ambiance of the lobby area was spectacular. I hope. To return next December to see Christmas decor. Everyone we met from the hotel were soooo nice. Especially the desk help and Carlos the doorman. He was so informative. Curios to Hilton.

Room Tip: We did overlook walls in our rooms.... ask for the best view available.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank IowanTraveler
Your observations about The Drake Hotel are greatly appreciated. I've passed your compliments on to Carlos who has been with The Drake for 40 years! While I'm pleased you enjoyed the service and accommodations, 20 years is just too long! We hope you do indeed join us again this year for Christmas, if not sooner - Iowa is just around the corner from us!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our group of 5 all had lovely rooms with great beds and sitting space. We did not try any hotel restaurants but did enjoy a cocktail in the bar. The hotel location is a stand out, the Palm Court is beautiful, a must see. Even though we had requested early check in our rooms were not available until 3, a disappointment.

We would all stay at The Drake again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank emptynesteralmost
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to read you enjoyed yourselves in our well appointed suites and made it out to enjoy a cocktail in Coq d'Or. It is unfortunate that your request for early check-in wasn't honored. If you would like to speak further about your experience at The Drake, I'd appreciate the opportunity to hear more. Please, email your TripAdvisor name and best time/way to contact you and I'll reach out at your earliest convenience.