“Grand Old Hotel”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #84 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We have stayed at The Drake several times now, most recently Dec. 2013. It is a great location with wonderful views. It is a little "weary" - some things don't work like new but they aren't new! Part of the charm I think. Priced well as far as Chicago hotels. We did not eat here (except breakfast which we had on the executive floor and it was very nice).

Room Tip: Mixed bag - a room with water view is awesome - but along with that comes a fair amount of traffic n...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Can't say enough about a girl's trip at The Drake. Our oversized room overlooked the river, the service and dining was outstanding and we were in walking distance of everywhere we wanted to go. Even enjoyed a jazz band playing in the lobby bar.

• Stayed: November 2013
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Drake on TripAdvisor. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the entertainment in Palm Court. Jazz and The Drake have gone hand-in-hand for almost a century, your review of the entertainment is appreciated and will help to keep jazz alive at The Drake!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Visit the Miracle Mile in a grand style. A touch of class in a hurry up world. The Drake feels like home when returning to my city of birth. Fairly priced for the level of service, great location, and a trained staff that cares.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I enjoyed the view of the lake. The location is great. The bed was excellent. The room was spacious. I wanted to try this historic hotel. It was a bit run down--chipped bathroom sink vanity and scuffed up floor boards, which I don't enjoy looking at. There was no hotel guide book in the room to show where things in the hotel are located, such as ice, etc. When I would call using housekeeping or other lines, there would be no answer. When I would call the operator, I would finally get a response and then good assistance. There was no guide to how to operate the TV and no schedule of any programming--just a list on the screen of what channel was at what number. (No TV guide channel on the TV screen) Coffee packets were not routinely replaced by housekeeping in the morning--another call to get those. The amenities listed terry cloth robes and since I was traveling lightly, I counted on using this. Not in closet. When I called, I was told it was by request (so I did get one). I would have liked a bit more heat. All in all, my stay was okay but I would go someplace else next time.

Room Tip: The lake view is worth paying extra for. I had a lower floor (4th) and liked the view of both the l...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

We appreciate your honest review on TripAdvisor, it is crucial to understand our guests’ impressions to further enhance their stay. Please, during your next REAL CHICAGO experience, be sure to alert management to any disappointments you come across as we want every guest leaving The Drake with nothing but the best view of our landmark property. It's regrettable your room did not have our standard room guide and I recognize how frustrating it must have been to have issues reaching members of our staff. I'd like to speak with you in detail about your time at The Drake. Please, email me your TripAdvisor name, contact information and the best time to reach you and I will gladly be in touch.

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

As with most businesses, the Drake is only as good as it's people and it's systems. We were given a room with the window open that we could not close and waited and waited for someone to come close it so we could unpack and meet our friends for dinner. (Did I mention it was 20 degrees?). Then somehow we were checked out after two nights although our reservation was made for three. When I was able to get the same room, it was at a price that was twice our reservation price since the price had dropped for Sunday night. I had to stand there and log in to Hilton's website and make a new reservation because they "did not have access to those rates." This is a great hotel but there are plenty of properties in Chicago that treat their guests far better.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

We take your TripAdvisor response very seriously. The staff at The Drake Hotel is here to serve you, the guest, and make sure that while you're with us you are treated in a manner that speaks to elegance and luxury. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you directly. If you could please email me your TripAdvisor name and the best way and time to contact you it would be my pleasure to reach out.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

A friend and I did a girls weekend in Chicago and stayed at the Drake. Perfect location, by Water tower, with terrific restaurants and bars right in the hotel. The rooms are very quaint, with old-school bathtubs and such. All very clean and well-maintained!

• Stayed: November 2013

Girls time during the holidays sounds like the perfect mini-vacation to decompress around this hectic time of year. Your review is truly appreciated and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

This hotel is located at the end of the Miracle Mile and is convenient to all the shops and restaurants that you could want. My room was lovely, and their meeting facilities were nice as well. My only complaint has to do with the staff. There was loud construction (with a jackhammer) outside of my room at 5am on a Saturday morning - the staff could have cared less.

Room Tip: There is a lot of variation in room sizes. Be sure to ask for a larger room in the room class that y...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business