“Top Quality hotel in prime location”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #84 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel during our first visit to Chicago. Location was perfect and the suite with views over the lake was very comfortable. there are 2 restaurants in the hotel. The one with the bar was more casual but good quality food. The fish restaurant was excellent although the waiter forgot about our main courses that resulted in my wife's sole being a little over cooked. Only a small point. Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio carved their initials on the bar counter and everybody likes to look at them. My only gripe with this hotel is that they charge paying guests for wi fi but if you walk in off the street you get free connection

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,105)

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Chicago's Drake Hotel, a historic landmark property, has most certainly seen better days. It's heartbreaking to see how this once glorious hotel now suffers from genuine neglect and mismanagement . Hilton hotels should be ashamed the hotel's condition and their apparent lack of interest in the customer experience. It was depressing stay and we will not return until the Drake is renovated and then, properly managed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank VeronicaJ500
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for reviewing The Drake and sharing your observations regarding our historic hotel. We have made great strides in the past several years and are continuing in our efforts to upgrade every aspect of the hotel—ensuring satisfaction to our guests. The customer’s experience, your time at The Drake, is of the utmost importance to us. I would truly like to communicate with you directly to better understand and address your concerns—please email me directly at russell.menkes@hilton.com.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

When traveling to Chicago I knew the only hotel I wanted to stay in was The Drake. It has a fine hotel reputation. However, NEVER AGAIN! This is the most pretentious and un-welcoming hotel I have ever stayed in. The front desk was rude upon check in, the hotel staff in the lobby was rude and the service we had in the restaurant/bar OMG - we were chased out of there like rats in the basement! I am a loyal Hilton brand customer. I will stay at a Hilton Property before anywhere else. But The Drake will not be my next destination. I have called the general manager of the property but he/she has not or maybe will not call me back. Be advised!

1  Thank Mary Jean M
Stefan G, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

The Drake Hotel has held a reputation of excellence and opulence for over 90 years. It is extremely regrettable you did not receive the experience that The Drake is known for. I can assure you that this is an anomaly within The Drake’s world famous hospitality. I know that given the chance, your Drake experience will never disappoint you again.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel is close enough to everything but far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle. The hotel is very vintage but still nice and holds a lot of memories. Very nice views if you get a lake side. Stay on floors with executive suite to get access to the lounge. Visit the Coq bar, very cool and also visit the flower shop.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I think it was a good hotel with a good service. We stayed here for 4 nights with my wife and my parents. Rooms were clean. Location was also very good. Staff were friendly and helpful.
Beautiful flowers in the lobby!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The Drake has been the only place that we stay in Chicago for many years. It is a classic; however, it certainly feels like it is on the decline. Reasons:
1. We like to have the windows open. When I went to open the one window in the room, it came crashing down, smashing my finger. Two minutes later, the bell person came with our luggage. He said he would call engineering who came promptly. The repair person said he could not fix it for at least two days and offered to call the manager who promptly relocated us to a different room.
2. The food in the Executive Lounge has gone from very good to awful. Breakfast is now reduced to scrambled "eggs" from a carton and prepackaged pastries from Sam's Club.
3. Housekeeping is in need of serious improvement. They did not touch our room one of the four days of our stay. There was a cocktail toothpick on the landing of the stair to the Executive Lounge that remained each of the four days of our stay.
4. As we left, I called the bell desk. The phone rang for over a minute. I hung up and tried again in a couple of minutes and finally got through.
5. I understand the classic hotel look, but the finishes and furnishings are starting to look like my grandparent's house rather than a fine hotel.

These problems are not worthy of the Drake and are disappointing to us because it can be the best place to stay in Chicago. Nevertheless, On our next trip to Chicago, I believe we will look at other options to the Drake.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your honest input and it’s disheartening to hear that you felt slighted by our service. As a frequent guest at The Drake I'm sure you understand that your five points fall outside of The Drake's standard hospitality. If possible, I would like to discuss your stay with us further, please email me directly: russell.menkes@hilton.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife of 60 years and I had never had much of a chance to enjoy down-town Chicago. After celebrating our 60Th High School Reunion in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, we decided to really celebrate our 60Th Wedding Anniversary in a big way. Therefore we booked a night at THE DRAKE Hotel in Chicago. Well, when signing in, the nice lady said that we have up-graded your room. WOW!! TWO KING SIZED beds; a bath-and-a-half; a kitchen; a very large living room with the most beautiful view of Lake Michigan and Shoreline Drive. We were also treated to a bottle of Champagne surrounded by Chocolate Covered Strawberries!!! In the morning we were also treated to a complimentary breakfast!!! I hope for another 60 years of Marriage in order to come back to THE DRAKE hotel in Chcago. Paul G. Larish

Room Tip: Do not forget this is a Hilton Hotel.