“First Class”

Ranked #78 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“First Class”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Drake Hotel is a lovely hotel. From the moment our taxi arrived, we were so well treated by all the staff (especially Ben!). The lobby is beautiful and the Palm Court gorgeous. Breakfast in the Drake Bros. is excellent...as is dinner in the Cape Cod. And High Tea was most enjoyable! I hope to stay at The Drake again in the future. My only complaint is that the pillows were too soft. Otherwise, everything met or exceeded my expectations. The location is perfect for visiting Chicago!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelinQueen
RussellMenkes, Hotel Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to review The Drake.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a fantastic stay and found the service to be wonderful, (especially Ben).

I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back during your next trip to Chicago. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance

Stefan Gruvberger
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at The Drake over a weekend, and the facility, although older, was very nice. I was given a water view room that overlooked Lake Michigan. The hotel is located at the north end of the Miracle Mile shopping district, and it is easy to catch a bus or subway near the hotel to reach other parts of the city. A bicycle rental stand is located across from the hotel, too. Because the hotel is near the beach, it is easy to walk along the beach or go swimming in the lake. A good selection of restaurants is also within walking distance along Rush Street. On Sunday, the breakfast buffet included an omelet station, and tea was served in the afternoon. The breakfast buffet was excellent, but I did not have tea at the hotel. I would definitely recommend staying at The Drake while visiting Chicago.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MMHouston
Dear MMHouston,

Thank you for reviewing The Drake on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay over the weekend. I am also happy that you loved your Lakeview room and breakfast in The Drake Brothers' restaurant as well.

I agree that the location is perfect and conveniently located across from the beach as well as many of the shops on the magnificent mile.

The bicycle dispenser across the street is a new addition and is pretty neat. It is very convenient and perfect for riding along the lake.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Drake in the future.

Stefan Gruvberger
Hotel Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had booked on our Hilton Honors card but this hotel cannot meet Hilton standards. On check in we were told they had no executive level room available and hence we could not have access to the Executive Lounge, which we have never been refused in any other Hilton property. They offered us free breakfast buffet which was mediocre ( bad coffee and pastries which tasted a day old!)
Our room was large in size but the drapes and carpet were old, on entering the bathroom we noticed mold on the ceiling covering a large area. We complained to the manager who acted shocked but did not even bother to arrange for maintenance to spray the area! Thankfully we only stayed 2 nights on a hectic trip and were out of the hotel for long periods. I was really looking forward to staying at this landmark hotel but never again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 13sm
New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have stayed and returned to The Drake on several occasions. Entering the lobby, the Palm Court, the elevators and the rooms is like stepping back in time. The Coq d'Or bar downstairs is one of my favorites. THe barman and the staff are fantastic. A must visit place if you want to experience a different class of hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Tauranga New Zealand
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Drake would rate one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Being a Hilton Honors member does assist. Arrived at checkin and upgraded to a Junior Suite. Free water on a very hot day. Rooms serviced very early in day which is a big plus. Staff very friendly and helpful. Ideal location .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank McLeodnz
usa
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the Drake while on official company business during the NRA show. Much to my dismay, they had overbooked and I was told that I was unable to check into my room until after 8 pm. I was extremely disappointed after looking at the rate I had paid and seeing a colleague ahead of me in line situated in a suite instantaneously.I did not complain but I requested that I speak with the manger. Sharon understood my concerns immediately and explained the situation thoroughly and to my satisfaction. In addition to free Internet and breakfast for the night I was there, she made me feel like a valued customer and made me understand the situation better. I travel quite a bit and must admit that I am not used to such exceptional customer service while in the US. Thank you Sharon!

Room Tip: If there are issues, ask to speak to Sharon W.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank rickc2651
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Location was perfect, gorgeous hotel especially the lobby but when we checked in, we were left alone to deal with our bags - no bell service nothing and the night staff was just efficient but unfriendly. Even the concierge didn't help us to find somewhere to eat so we ate at a truly awful restaurant around the corner (and expensive to boot) and then discovered later that we could have gone to a dozen other places close by! Thankfully we met the "good staff" the next day- friendly reception staff, fantastic concierge - Maria is a gem and the Drake/Hilton should pay her above and beyond for what she offers the guests! We discovered that something must happen to the night staff in this hotel *(and not in a good way) as opposed to the day staff who are terrific. So a mixed bag of a stay and a little disappointed. Not sure if we'll stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends