“Great location and opulent setting”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #87 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I spent 5 nights at the Drake for a conference (acting as host). The hotel is located at the top of Michigan Ave, with close proximity to high end shopping and other sites in the city.

The hotel is very extravagant, which speaks to the era that it was built in. It wasn't over the top, and they have updated the hotel to include modern technology.

My room was quite unique, which seems to be a common theme at the Drake. My room was in a "T" shape, with the bed being in a elcove of the room, which made it very appealing. The room was for the most part comfortable and well maintained. I was on the second floor of the hotel, and my view was of the roof of the conference area. I did have a small view of the beach and the lake. Overall the room was good.

Some issues that I had with my room: the toilet was difficult to flush at times, but not a major problem. The sofa had a small rip in it.

The service was relatively good. When I required some items, the staff were quick to attend to them. I did have used glasses pile up in my room and were not cleared until the end of the week. But I was able to request clean ones to use.

Overall, the hotel was very nice and would I stay there again, if the price was right.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
RussellMenkes, Hotel Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. I sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and I am delighted to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay. I do apologize that your used glass wear was not cleared away in a timely manner. Please rest assured I will be communicating your experience directly to our room service team. I do hope that you will return to The Drake and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please feel free to contact us whenever we can be of assistance to you.
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,129)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I travel often for work. I’ve been very fortunate to stay at some incredible hotels. This is my 6th trip to Chicago this year and it never occurred to me to stay at the Drake Hotel. I was pleasantly surprised when my itinerary arrived and saw that I would be staying here. I’ve heard great things about the Drake including its history, fabulous service and quaint rooms.

From the moment I arrived at the Drake I was treated with 5 star service. Not only the front desk who thanked me immediately for being an HHonors member but the gentleman who escorted me into the elevator and selected my floor. The room had an amazing view of the lake. I also enjoyed a very large bathroom with a soaking tub. The bed was one of the most comfy hotel beds I’ve ever experienced. I slept like a baby in this quiet downtown hotel.

I ordered room-service for dinner. The meal was excellent and quick.

All in all I highly recommend this hotel. It was a real treat to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
RussellMenkes, Hotel Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Drake on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.
I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable stay and received the 5 star treatment The Drake is known for

Thank you for all of your compliments including our front desk staff. I am happy to read that they provided you with a warm welcome and the wonderful guest service you deserve.

I truly hope you will return to The Drake in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us whenever we may be of assistance.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Charming old hotel, well maintained.
Great: location - Michigan avenue shopping, Lake, restaurants all walkable. Best location in Chicago!
Food was terrific as well.
Well maintained and clean.
Not: only issue was that my room was a little stuffy.

Great hotel!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
RussellMenkes, Hotel Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review us on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Drake. I sincerely appreciate your kind remarks. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and loved the location and our food. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope you will feel free to contact us whenever we can be of assistance to you.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My fiance surprised me with a proposal and a room here! Loved it!

The hotel is historical and gorgeous, as expected. The staff is impeccable. The room was old school, but had an amazing view, great amenities, and obviously was perfectly clean.

Perfect location to walk on Mich Ave, or shop in the gold coast and feel like a million bucks. Had the breakfast buffet-was good but I'm a brunch fanatic and have had much better in Chicago. The bar downstairs has really cool historical drinks, but the crowd was really eclectic, so not so romantic for a date night. Also, I think they have 1 waitress working the entire thing. Overall, loved the hotel and the restaurant/bar were okay.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Congratulations to you and your fiancé! We feel honored that you chose the drake for such a special evening.
I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay and loved the hotel and our service. Thank you for all of your wonderful compliments.
I look forward to welcoming both of you back to The Drake in the future. Please contact my office the next time you are planning a trip to Chicago we would love to welcome you back as you are now a part of The Drake History.
All the best wishes to you.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I come to Chicago often, but this is my first stay at the Drake. My suite is quite nice, very quiet and has a lovely view of the lake. The bed is extremely comfortable and the bathroom is adequate (small shower, large whirlpool tub). For some reason, extra tp is not availabe, despite my requests - hard to fathom.
On the negative side, I have had two unsatisfactory telephone interactions with housekeeping (I believe I spoke to the same woman both yesterday and today), She is clueless as to how to respond to ordinary requests. She is defensive and not service oriented, When a reasonable request is made, the answer should not be a remonstration or an excuse; a gracious "of course" or "right away" is in order.
Otherwise, I have been enjoying my stay and find the property quite comfortable. Unlike other commenters' remarks, my rooms are bright, clean and up-to-date. I prefer smaller properties, but this is an interesting historic hotel and I'm glad to have the opportunity to be a guest at the Drake.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, an executive suite overlooking the lake (8th floor is good) is the way to go.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review us on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at The Drake. I sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay.

Please allow me to apologize for the lack of guest service you experience with housekeeping. I agree completely with you in regard to the way a call should be handled. Please rest assured I will be following up with our housekeeping department in regard to your experience.

Despite this disappointing interaction I am happy to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and loved your suite. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Conveniently located in the midst of Chicago, this is a gracious old, well maintained hotel of a long bygone era with huge crystal chandeliers, period furniture, lots of dark wood, thick carpets, heavily decorated, ballrooms, shopping galleries and very decent restaurants; it even has a sofa equipped elevator. These types of hotels are not just built anymore.
The check-in process was pleasant and efficient. The room assigned was spacious, with big windows facing Lake Michigan; it was well appointed and even though the furniture was in good shape it is showing its age. A king size bed was dressed with excellent linen and good pillows. The electrical outlets were scare and inconveniently located at the base of the night table lamps.
The bathroom was a bit dark with old fixtures, a fissured hand basin and old style bathtub surrounded by shower curtains which did not cling to your body while showering.
The breakfast buffet had generous choices and well served by friendly and courteous attendants.
The rest of the staff was likewise courteous and very pleasant.
An enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Request upper floor rooms facing Lake Michigan.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

I sincerely appreciate your kind remarks about our guest service and the history of the building. I agree that hotels are just not built like this anymore and it certainly is wonderful that a piece of history still lives on. I am delighted to hear overall that you had an enjoyable stay.

Please allow me to apologize for the lighting fixers and the inconvenient location of the wall outlets.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

My family spent four nights at the Drake Hotel over Memorial Day weekend. The family room for four of us (daughters are 15 and 13) was a good size. With two girls, the second bathroom was a big plus. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating. Our first family room on the first floor was very stuffy. There wasn't any way to open the windows either. The hotel moved us to room 656, explaining that the air conditioning was not operational yet due to the cold temperatures outside. This new room was perfect as we were able to open the widows a bit. We tend to like it cooler when we sleep. We appreciated the honesty about the air conditioning and the willingness (without being asked) to move us. This is also a great location for teenage girls-close to all the great shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Room 656 was a very quiet family room. If you looked down the alley you had a peek-a-boo view of th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
RussellMenkes, Hotel Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. I sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. I am happy to see you we were able to find you a family room that was at a good temperature and adequate ventilation. I do apologize for the inconvenience of moving guest rooms. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Thank you once again for all of your comments and taking the time to review us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope you will feel free to contact me whenever we can be of assistance to you.

Stefan.gruvberger@hilton.com