“Magnificent location”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #85 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed at The Drake the first weekend in May. It was a beautiful weekend on the lake. This hotel has a great location with a short walk to the lakeshore and a short walk to many popular attractions in the Windy City. The Drake is close to the Hancock building, American Girl and Water Tower area of the Mag Mile. Inside the lobby, there is a very elegant hotel. This is a great hotel for anyone who appreciates the opulence of older hotels. We had a great view of the lakeshore and we can't wait to stay at this property again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,101)

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent nine nights in a lovely suite. The luxury of two bathrooms is fabulous. The bed was very comfortable, and the buffet breakfast is great.

The maid service could be improved - no turn down service; one day, the room wasn't made up; and another, the maid ignored the do not disturb sign.

This is an historic hotel that has kept up with the times.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Beautiful hotel, that I went to because I couldn't acquire a room closer to the Convention Centre. The price was very competitive and the hotel was worth every extra little hassle to get to McCormick Convention Centre given distance, access to convention buses etc..

I have been to Chicago often, but never gave it much thought as a place to visit for a holiday. The Drake changed that and my view of Chicago. The weather was good so I walked to most places I had to go. The location at the north end of Michigan Avenue can't be beat for shopping, sightseeing and general proximity to most of the great things Chicago has to offer. I walked a lot and came to appreciate shopping on N. Michigan Ave. I'd say perhaps better than 5th Ave. given the quality of stores and how tightly clustered they are along the Miracle Mile.

One of the great, classic old hotels...The Drake reminded me me of the Classic Fairmont Properties in Canada like the Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise and even the Royal York with The Drake having a very intimate, personal and classy feel to it.

I was very, very pleased with my room, my travel agent had indicated that the room was an average or not a standard type of room so I was expecting something less than one might find in an older hotel.... My room was gorgeous. Big, beautifully appointed very comfortable and a wonderful, quiet escape after long noisy days at a conference.

There was no view from my room but that did not matter to me on a business trip... The room more than met my expectations and needs, for any trip let alone a business trip.

On Friday before I left, I needed to finish some work and also have lunch. So I took my laptop and Blackberry to the the Coq d'Or, just off the lobby.The afternoon is for 'tea' although a small but solid menu is available for people like me who needed a little more. What an absolute treat to stop and take a break there! Beautifully appointed, quiet, excellent service, excellent food and an atmosphere you simply don't find in rush, rush over the top, over-designed and flashy restaurants and lounges you find everywhere today! And for such a classy and elegant hotel, no arrogant or snobby airs at all to the room. I got a lot of work done in a wonderful atmosphere, with great food, great service and a lot of uninterrupted yet attentive consideration.

This was a great stay! I can't say enough about how every aspect of the visit to The Drake was perfect! Give this hotel very serious thought as a place to stay in Chicago. Give it every bit as much consideration as a destination for something special or as a reason to make Chicago a vacation of choice. It is definitely worth it!

Room Tip: I am confident you will get a good room regardless. I think all you need to ask is for a view shoul...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had a very nice stay at the Drake on a Saturday night for our anniversary. The Park Hyatt has been our go-to hotel for weekend celebrations the past few years, but decided to give the Drake a try with HHonors points, and we enjoyed it.

The Drake has a classic 1920s feel and a very professional staff; the Coq d'Or is a great spot for an old-school cocktail. The location at the north end of Michigan Avenue can't be beat, and we enjoyed our view of the lake, as we were upgraded to a lakeview king room on the 4th floor. The room was large (and very quiet), the bed was comfortable and the furnishings were updated but in keeping with the classic style of the hotel. They had a nice LG HDTV with a lot of HD channels. The bathroom was the only weak spot and could use updating in the next round of renovations. The bathroom was large enough to have a tub and a separate shower, but just had an older tub.

While the Peninsula, Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton and Park Hyatt have arguably surpassed the Drake in Chicago in recent years, the Drake holds its own right next to those hotels and offers a classic elegance that those newer hotels cannot. It also gets high marks from my business associates who have stayed there in recent years. I'm sure we will be back for other anniversaries and weekend getaways.

Room Tip: The lake views of north-facing rooms are the best.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RussellMenkes, Hotel Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. I sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. I am happy to see you enjoyed the old historic feel of the drake as well as complimenting our professional staff members. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope you will feel free to contact me whenever we can be of assistance to you.

Stefan Gruvberger
Hotel Manager
Stefan.gruvberger@hilton.com

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed at the Drake for a second time and during some of the worst weather recently experienced in Chicago. The hotel has a quaint charm and is something of a "grande dame" like the Del in San Diego. The overall impression is of slightly ageing grandeur but it still retains a homeliness and welcome that is special. Very friendly staff, especially in the executive lounge which is a little oasis of calm and a welcome change form the usual overpriced breakfast buffet bun fight. Loved the couches in the lifts! Keep up the tradition, along with tea in the Palm Court, but it should be made with freshly boiled water.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a classic hotel which offers stunning views of the lake shore. The rooms are a decent size considering the age of this hotel as many older hotels like this one have tiny rooms. Not to say this hotel and the rooms look old but it is a classic hotel with a history but the rooms have been updated and maintained. The offerings on the main level including bars and restaurants are top notch as well and worth visiting whether you're staying here or not. I've stayed here a couple times when attending Bears Games and have had a great time and a pleasant stay both times.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor facing north for a beautiful view of Lake Shore Drive
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in April. Booked through a third-party internet booking. Got a good rate for 2 (my mother and I).

My brother was graduating from Navy boot camp north of Chicago. We did not expect that he would be able to spend the night so we only reserved a room for 2. We then later found out that he might be able to stay with us one of the nights, so we were very excited. I contacted the hotel manager (Steven G.) via email letting him know the circumstance and they (Melissa N.) contacted me a few days before our arrival to let us know that they had upgraded us to accomodate our circumstance!

Wow - when we arrived and checked in, the front desk was very polite and asked if my young graduate was here with us. He was and she was very kind, congradulating him and thanking him for his service. She told us we were in room #16_. My brother thought I had planned this all out because that was the number of his division in boot camp. Crazy coincedence?!!

The lobby is grand and takes you back to a luxurious old-Chicago feel. We walked up the grand staircase to the elevators and straight to the room. The room itself was huge and nicely appointed in a classy way. We were all impressed and grateful for the big comfortable beds.

All in all, a beautiful hotel, in a nice (quiet) location, at a good rate with great customer service experience. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a real Chicago getaway!

-B

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback regarding your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and are delighted to hear that our staff could help enhance your Chicago experience. Guest feedback such as yours motivates our team to provide our guests with a very memorable experience, and your acknowledgements help sustain the tradition of The Drake. We look forward to welcoming you, your mother, and your son back soon!