“A Little Disappointed this time.”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #82 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I want to start by saying, I was staying at the Drake on business and my room was booked for me by my company. Well, They must have booked me in the single occupant small room because it was nothing like the other rooms I have stayed in before (and I have stayed here before). It was tiny and minimal. I had a queen bed, a desk, a night stand, TV, TV stand and a tiny coffee maker. No refrigerator, no microwave, no dresser to unpack my weeks worth of clothes in, nothing. I had to be careful walking to one side of the bed because if I wasn't I would have banged my knee or foot on the TV stand. I did not receive all the toiletries I normally receive at other Hilton hotels either.

The other thing that bothered me was half of the channels on my tv were scrambled out. I called the front desk and they sent someone up to check on it. He then told me he would be right back. He never came back. So i called the front desk again and they said it must be an issue with the cable company and they would get it fixed. They didn't fix it the entire week.

I am a hilton honors member and have never had a problem at any of their hotels I have ever stayed in. I always have great service and a nice room, even at the drake. This time was different. The moral of the story is don't book the tiny single occupancy room. Pay the extra $10 a night for a regular room. They are much nicer, especially if you are going to be there a week. Honestly, the Drake shouldn't even offer these rooms!

Room Tip: Anything but the single occupancy room! We had and executive room last time (i think) and it was gre...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank amyzmailbox

Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Old world charm. Check. Full of character. Check. Views of the lake. Check. Breakfast was included with the room, however, if one would have to pay for it I would have considered it overpriced. Rooms were spacious. The bed was just O.K. After all that is important. Cable in room had a large selection of channels. Bathroom was clean and updated. There were no noticeable sounds from any adjoining rooms. SELF parking was about 1 1/2 blocks away. Valet was available without much wait OVERALL a pleasant stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I brought my son to Chicago to visit the University of Chicago, and we had to stay someplace on the Magnificent Mile. The doormen were very friendly and helpful in directing us to the parking garage about a block down the street (we did not choose valet parking). When you enter through the street level doors, you walk up a flight of wide stairs with velvet covered handrails. At the top, the dining room is in view, and it is glamorous and gorgeous...breathtaking, really. Our room didn't have a lake view, but it had 2 queen beds and 2 large bathrooms...very nice! I can't remember our room number, but it was quiet. The hotel's address is Walton Place, but it is steps from Michigan Avenue. Would stay here again! Nice mini-bar, but we were charged $18 for one chocolate candy bar. They obviously charged us for something we didn't have.

Room Tip: There are rooms with 2 large bathrooms (we had a room with 2 queen beds.) I don't know if you wo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Holly C
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our family traveled to Chicago to visit with relatives. We stayed at the classic Drake Hotel, conviently located in the heart of downtown Chicago. We had a wonderful suite, which had ample room for the four of us (2 adults and 2 kids). There was also an executive lounge where we could have terrific breakfasts and snacks before heading out for a day of sightseeing. Our room was large and modern with a separate (huge) living room/sleeping area for the kids. The hotel was located within walking distance of all the shops, restaurants and attractions of downtown. The service was very good, the hotel was full of energy and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for posting your great review. We are absolutely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your night at The Drake Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another terrific breakfast and day of shopping downtown!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Drake still reigns as a premier address for travelers in the Windy City. Located at the north end of the Magnificent Mile it is in walking distance of world class shopping, entertainment and culture. An older hotel, it is well maintained and has a friendly and efficient staff. We especially enjoyed Le Coq d'Orr, the hotel's cozy bar. The elegant Palm Room serves afternoon tea and the Cape Cod room is the place for seafood. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was clean but somewhat dated. We are already thinking of returning in the near future.

Room Tip: The north side of the hotel overlooks the beach and Lake Michigan. The west side overlooks Michigan...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback regarding your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and are delighted to hear that you had a great experience. Guest feedback such as yours motivates our team to provide our guests with a very memorable experience, and your acknowledgements help sustain the tradition of The Drake!

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit to Chicago and my mother's 4th trip in 6 months. She always stays at The Drake. We got a very nice 2 double bed room that actually had 2 separate bathrooms. It was a very nice spacious room. Not much of a view but nice room. We ordered room service every morning & it was delicious!!! They were very professional & polite. Such a nice hotel to stay & visit!! Thank you Drake staff

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Drake Hotel has a great history about , culture is every where in the hotel, some might say Dated but when you have the history this Hotel has it tells a story. Location is excellent to Restaurants and shopping bus's , the L. People were very helpful with anything you ask.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business