“Elegant nicely Located but poor rooms”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #85 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Elegant historical hotel, magnificent lobby and nice restaurants. Excellent location at the very beginning of the Michigan Av., conveniently Located for shopping.
But rooms are really poor, they deserve an hard renovation, no drawers in the room to store shirts!
Staff is professional and kind.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
RussellMenkes, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you were caused and regret that we did not provide you with our normal very high standards of service. I apologize that there was not a dresser in your guest room to store shirts. I would also like to apologize for the lack of quality in your guest room. We appreciate your advising us of your experience in order that we may correct any lapses in our service. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our very high level of service, and if you will contact me directly the next time you plan a trip to Chicago, I will make certain you have a most enjoyable stay.
Best reguards,
Stefan Gruvberger
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,101)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We've gone to The Drake for several years, mainly for our anniversary. When we're in Chicago, The Drake is an icon, and the location is superior. Such class and elegance. Our last stay in Nov. was to have our daughter's bridal shower, and it was so beautiful. The event manager was so helpful, the room was beautiful and it was wonderful.
When I arrived, in true Drake fashion, my room was not ready, so they upgraded me to a lakefront view room - which was amazing! I didn't want to leave the room!!! It was spaceous, clean and wonderful. The staff was accomodating and very professional and our stay, as always, was great! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at the Drake for 2 nights in the middle of Nov.
The good...
Location excellent. Can walk everywhere. I stayed at the Trump a month ago, also good location, but I prefer the location of the Drake. Bloomingdales is across the street.
I also loved the old charm of this hotel. You don't get there just anywhere. Service good. No problems.
The not so good...
My room could have been a lot cleaner. The bathtub had a couple of hairs on it... not the variety that you care to see. It generally could have been a lot cleaner. All of the pillows had feathers. I am allergic, and its kind of a pain to call late at night when you realize all the pillows are feathered...I did without the first night.
Generally, I liked it and would go back. I was there for business, and thought those facilities were good also.

Room Tip: I actually liked my room with 2 twin beds... they are oversized, and the room was a lot bigger than...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank orchickie
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We've just returned from a 3 night stay at this classic stylish hotel. The Drake is everything it claims to be, elegant, comfortable, friendly and in a great location for shopping, dining, and nightlife. Some reviews have made comments of the rooms being 'tired', or having 'too much old world charm', but thats the point of this historic hotel. If you want modern chic, stay somewhere else. Our executive room was very quite, clean and had an extremely comfortable very large bed with luxurious pillows. We had a really great stay and would highly recommend this hotel. The staff were all discreet but friendly and Mary the concierge was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. The palm court is a great atmospheric lounge to relax in with a cocktail after a busy day sightseeing and shopping on the magnificent mile. Go on treat yourself and stay here!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn F
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I recently stayed at the Drake during a trip to Chicago for a conference. Its at the north end of Michigan Ave, but still a very good location near Watertower place, shopping, eating, etc. Remember that the Drake is a Hilton Honors property. They put me in a huge corner room that was fantastic. Service was great, hotel staff very helpful. No complaints at all.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the lake!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel is located at the end of Michigan Ave. near many shops an restaurants on one hand and facing the lake on the other hand. Just the perfect Chicago location. It's an old style hotel, with a tiny bit feeling of "need remodeling" and a few very little maintenance issues. Yet, the rooms are huge and very comfortable, the beds are great, and I had everything I needed. The executive lounge with breakfast and afternoon cocktails is very nice, but I think the real nice thing about this hotel besides the location is the history, If I could I'd rate it 4.5 stars, because it really needs a little remodeling, but all in all, I had a great experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The charm of The Drake has not lost her appeal. We just returned from a long weekend's stay. The Executive Lounge offers what would be shyly called a continental breakfast complete with salmon and capers and fresh fruits and steaming coffees. You really must upgrade-totally worth it! Breakfast overlooking Lakeshore Drive and Lake Michigan each morning is just a delight. The revolving entry leads to the seasonally adorned lobby complete with tree and train. The Palm Court is still it own destination for dancing, tea, and live music. I would say because of the age of the building the temperature control of the guest rooms and lack of storage is a minus. This time of year the only way to gain room comfort is either by opening the windows (brrrrr) or requesting an oscillating fan (shortages!) The Coq D'or Grill on the lower level is happenin' with music, specialty cocktails, and great food. If you love beautiful architecture, a 1/4 block walk to Michigan Ave, genuinely helpful staff, and the feel of the days of old, call The Drake.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple