“No longer a top hotel”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #83 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed at The Drake for one night with friends last Saturday. It's been a few years since we last stayed here and I'm sad to say we probably won't return. We feel like The Drake is in a very slow decline. The public areas still have that wow factor but the rooms and corridors are showing their age. Our friends' room was not ready at the check-in time of 3pm so they were offered complimentary breakfast. The front desk service was just ok. The doormen were generally ok, although upon leaving one doorman who asked if we had bags, but then did not help us load them in our car, yet still he hustled for a tip by holding open one door of the car. He did not get a tip. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was accessible so it had a lot of bars that had been retrofitted into a standard sized bathroom leaving little space in the shower/tub. The cost for the room was not excessive by Chicago standards and probably reflects the hotel category.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
RussellMenkes, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Nick M,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you were caused and regret that we did not provide you with our normal very high standards of service. I am sorry that we did not have your room ready by the check in time. I also apologize for the poor service you received from our staff. Please be assured that I will speak with all relevant departments regarding your experience. We appreciate your advising us of your experience in order that we may correct any lapses in our service. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our very high level of service, and if you will contact me directly the next time you plan a trip to Chicago, I will make certain you have a most enjoyable stay.
Hotel Manager The Drake

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at The Drake and have no great complaints, but depending on the cost of the room, you might find a better hotel. I've heard it's quite expensive if you book direct. We got it through Priceline at an acceptable rate and we had a Kind Deluxe room which was HUGE! The bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean, so I was content. However, we had to switch rooms after the 1st night because of a continuous banging noise (every 10-15 minutes). We never figured out the source of the noise, but it was very loud which prevented some sleep. The front desk was very accomodating the following morning and moved us to another room. I'm guessing they were already aware of this issue and hoped it would somehow go unnoticed - which was impossible! Despite the fabulous location - close to the very nice Oak Street Beach, the John Hancock Center and lots of high end shopping, neither of our rooms offered any view at all. Our original room allowed us to see a lower roof and equipment on it and our second room allowed us to stare directly into another building across the street. That was a little disappointing as it was our 1st visit to Chicago. We also found the cost of room service and hotel restaurants to be outrageous! I also find it a little upsetting that they charge for the internet. I think it's awful for any hotel (especially the more expensive ones) to charge for this when most restaurants and cafes offer it for free. Overall, it was a relatively nice hotel considering how old it is - the size of the room is remarkable compared to some of the more modern 4 star hotels - we'd stay again if the price were reasonnable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor iluvspence,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you were caused and regret that we did not provide you with our normal very high standards of service. I am sorry that we were unable to find you a room with a better view. I also apologize for the noise disturbance you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that I will speak with all relevant departments regarding your experience. We appreciate your advising us of your experience in order that we may correct any lapses in our service. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our very high level of service, and if you will contact me directly the next time you plan a trip to Chicago, I will make certain you have a most enjoyable stay.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed in king suite facing Oak St. Beach. Gorgeous view from all windows of the lake and Lake Shore Dr. Spotlessly clean, comfortable bed, marble bath. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Drake Bros. restaurant was fine for breakfast. High tea served in beautiful Palm Court was delightful! Cape Cod Room Restaurant was our only disappointment. Service and food only fair and lacking ambience. Plenty of great dining within walking distance however. This grand, historic Michigan Ave. hotel is a gem!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher level due to street noise from Lake Shore Dr. Suites facing the lake have...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor Gramyjo,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. thank you for all of your delightful comments regarding the staff, cleanliness, and service you experienced at The Drake. I do sincerely apologize for the lack of quality in The Cape Cod. Comments such as this help me to carry on the tradition of excellent service that the Drake is so well known for. Thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope you will feel free to contact us whenever we can be of assistance to you.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Very nice hotel with storied history. Some challenges for those with limited mobility.

Room and bed were great as was our upgraded view. Bathroom on the small side (especially considering the adjacent but no-longer-utilized "bar" annex) but ample closet space overall.

Executive floor lounge is also on the small side, but great breakfast and happy hour choices.

Location is right next to the Gold Coast and at the end of Miracle Mile.

Overall a great, great choice for a get away weekend to the Windy City!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor Sideshow2,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. I do sincerely apologize for the lack of space in regard to the Executive Lounge and guest bathrooms. Comments such as this help me to carry on the tradition of excellent service that the Drake is so well known for. Thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope you will feel free to contact us whenever we can be of assistance to you.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I grew up in Chicago and was there for business and always wanted to stay at The Drake. The Lobby and Lobby bar are just as beautiful as I remember as a kid. The put me in a suite (thanks to Hilton Honors paying off) that made me feel like a princess. THe only problem is that the bathrooms should be updated. Other than that - it was a great experience.
Oh - but should warn you - parking is $50 a night!

Room Tip: Highly recommend the Hilton Honors program as you will get better rooms here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Trip Advisor Heatherk,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. thank you for all of your delightful comments regarding the staff, cleanliness, and service you experienced at The Drake. I do sincerely apologize for the lack of quality in The guest restrooms and high prices of Chicago parking. Comments such as this help me to carry on the tradition of excellent service that the Drake is so well known for. Thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope you will feel free to contact us whenever we can be of assistance to you.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed four nights,got a cheap deal and got an ok room for the price. The Drake is in great spot and is very traditional,which is very likeable. Other,younger,members of our family stayed downtown in a modern hotel which was a bit more hip. We ate out but the bar is very nice,Carl is font of all wisdom,and this helps with the comfortable feel of the place. There are regulars in the bar which is unusual(but nice)for a city centre hotel.So for us older end,slower folk who want to potter about,do a bit of shopping the Drake is fine.

Room Tip: You need the upper floors.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
RussellMenkes, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Colin R,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Drake. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you were caused and regret that we did not provide you with our normal very high standards of service. I will speak to all relevant departments regarding your experience. We appreciate your advising us of your experience in order that we may correct any lapses in our service. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our very high level of service, and if you will contact me directly the next time you plan a trip to Chicago, I will make certain you have a most enjoyable stay.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Very good with a combination of a great hotel, great room, and service. I stayed at this hotel one night after a nearby conference. I'm diamond elite and I was upgraded to a large 2 room suite - I believe a Jr. Suite. I also had access to the Exec Lounge for afternoon appetizers and breakfast. Typical offerings there. Free wifi (for elites) with a good strong signal, too. What I was most impressed with was the "space" for an older hotel. Service was outstanding, everyone was friendly. Finally, you can't beat the area for getting to a variety of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business