The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
$725
$530
$519
  • Restaurant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$329
  • Breakfast included
Best Western River North Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$330
Hilton.com
$1,300
$975
  • Pool
Hotel Versey - Days Inn Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$330
$288
Hotwire.com
$492
getaroom.com
4,214 results
All reviewsthe palm courtcape cod roomcoq d'orclassic hotelfamily roomthe executive loungeoak street beachlake michiganthe magnificent milethe north endhistorical hotelold chicagoa lake view rooman older hotelthe gold coastjunior suiterush street
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My husband and I just enjoyed 4 fabulous nights at The Drake in Chicago. It's true that she may be a bit tired around the edges, but regardless, what a wonderful, elegant, historical property. The glorious view from our (Lakeview) room window, the comfortable bed, the clean, neat surroundings - we slept very well indeed (and enjoyed our waking moments too, staring at that gorgeous lake).

I do wish that internet was available gratis in the rooms (why is it the cheap little hotels and motels always have free internet, but not the "grand" hotels?). Also, maybe it's just me, but it's 2012, and I think all hotel rooms should have Ipod docks, so we don't have to listen to static on cheap little radio alarm clock things....but I digress.

The staff were fabulous overall, with the exception being one VERY grumpy bartender. I won't even count him in my rating! Rather than let one ornery old guy ruin any part of our trip, we just laughed him off and switched bars. The concierge were fantastic, simply fantastic, helping us with restaurant choices and tours. Always friendly and happy, terrific staff.

I won't hesitate to stay at The Drake again, and in fact, I hope to do that very thing in short order. I'll bite the bullet and pack my own Ipod dock and swallow the extra $$$ for internet access.

What a marvellous City Chicago is, I can't wait to get back there!

Room Tip: The Lakeview Rooms are worth it. You might want a room away from the ice machine, if you plan to retire early!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
RMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you so much for the review of your recent stay at The Drake. It is our mission to provide the best and most professional service to our guests as possible and I am happy to hear that most of our team members met your expectations. With regards to the one that did not, please accept my apologies. When someone is on holiday the last thing we want them to experience is negativity, so be assured I will follow up accordingly. Thank you again and we to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Drake is in a perfect location. It's right at the top of the Mile and close to incredible shopping and many great restaurants. For a surprisingly low cost, you can get a really nice room at the hotel.

The hotel is about a five minute walk from the nearest subway stop. The room has a good supply of tea and coffee and has an alarm clock radio which can connect to a device with audio output, such as a laptop or an iPod, though the sound quality is like you're listening to poor quality alarm clock radio. The rooms are large and there is pleanty of storage space.

The views (from the third floor at least) are nice, but not spectacular. There's a rooftop immediately to the north of the hotel which you get to see a lot of. The cleaning staff did an ok job in the room, not always restocking bath supplies and coffee/tea.

The lounge bar at the Drake, the Coq d'Or, is very expensive. I enjoy a glass of scotch and at this bar you can get a two ounce scotch for a little less than just buying a bottle at the liquor store. However, if you bought your own at the liquor store you wouldn't be enjoying it at such a famous bar.

All-in-all staying at the Drake was a great experience that I enjoyed doing one time, but in the future I'll probalby look to spend my money elsewhere.

Room Tip: If looking for a lake view, try to request a higher room to maximize your enjoyment of the view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated. The information you provided about our location is hopefully very helpful to readers of this review who are considering staying with us, as it is very accurate. We apologize your view was a bit obstructed by the roof of our Gold Coast Ballroom. The H shape of the hotel causes some of our rooms to be exposed to this roof, while still being able to see the lake, of course. We sincerely hope you reconsider staying with us, and if you need anything please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Recently, I attended a wedding at another highly-rated and very elegant Chicago hotel that is nearly brand new. It was fine. But nothing can beat the Drake. For a former Chicagoan, stayng at the Drake is like coming home. Wonderful memories of teas with Mom and Grandmother. Beautiful charity balls and weddings in the gorgeous ballroom. Dates at the Cape Cod Room. Cocktails and dancing in the lobby with friends with great drinks and music. So many wonderful memories. In the future, regardless of where an event is held, I will stay at the Drake.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Trip Advisor,

We are so delighted you returned to The Drake to pay us another visit! My favorite reviews are the ones when guests share experiences they have had at The Drake, and where the memories made are the reason they have returned, and will return yet again. We are excited to hear of all the memories made, and hope there are many more to come. Thank you again!

Reviewed April 7, 2012

This was our first time staying at this well known Chicago landmark. Sometimes a visit to Chicago is shaped by the location of your hotel - the Drake is the perfect place to stay when you want to be on the north side of downtown. Walking distance to so many attractions, shopping and the Oak St. beach. In fact, with all the establishments on site, you could spend a lot of time in the hotel if you were so inclined. Public areas exude old-time Chicago charm, and the rooms are elegant as well as updated. During our stay the weather was very nice so we were gone all day. Walked to Lincoln Park Zoo and back, although there is a bus. We did not pay extra for the lake views, and we enjoyed our 4th floor view looking down at N. Michigan Ave. All in all, a wonderful time, and we will choose this hotel again for sure.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review of The Drake. More importantly, thank you for visiting us all the way from Alaska! It seems your stay was delightful and we are glad you were able to visit us during that fantastic warm spell we had a few weeks back. Should you return , we hope you choose The Drake. Thank you again.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

I love the older style hotels so the Drake was a great choice. The second you walk in through the lobby, you can see the history of the hotel. Staff was very friendly and the rooms were very nice. Being an older hotel, some things are going to be dated but if you look past that, this is a great place to stay in a great part of Chicago.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends