“Nice hotel...shame about the bathtubs.”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #84 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My husband and I spent our wedding night in this hotel, which had a special meaning for us as it was where my grandparents spent their wedding night in 1946. That said, The Drake has been lavishly restored and all its beautiful original designs and architectural highlights preserved. We had a stunning view of Lake Michigan and the staff spared no expense looking after us and ensuring that our stay was special. We were upgraded from a lake view room to the Senator's Suite! The suite consisted of a very cozy and comfortable bedroom with a truly amazing bed, a standard bathroom and a ridiculously large open plan living room/dining room. Bizarrely we were in one of the most luxurious rooms in the hotel and it didn't feel that...comfortable. Although it was spacious beyond belief it was sparsely furnished and a bit soulless, and the bathroom was nothing to write home about. I believe that all the bathtubs in the hotel are the originals, which means they are small and shallow; I would have expected the Senator's Suite to come with a sumptuous bathtub large enough for two, and it was beyond disappointing that it didn't.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MegaraMcT
Write a ReviewReviews (4,055)

Reviewed August 18, 2011

We recently stayed at The Drake from July 17th to July 22nd on the Great Getaway Package to celebrate our 45th Anniversary and were upgraded to a Beautiful Suite with a Lakeview.

What a great staff at The Drake. Everyone was so gracious and friendly from the Doorman ( Ben ) who greeted us with a smile when we arrived at 930am Sunday morning to the front desk and housekeeping. Mary made sure we had extra towels and our room was always perfect, thank you Mary.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding and the waiters (Tomas and Guillermo) were top notch.

A Special Thank You to Russell Menkes & Christine Folz for the champagne, the chocolate covered strawberries, early check in and the upgraded room. WOW, what a nice touch for a Special Occasion. We LOVED our stay at The Drake. You have dedicated employees and it shows. They obviously enjoy working for you. Kudos to your team! We hope to see all of you again when we visit Chicago.

Room Tip: Junior Suite / Lakeview Rooms are excellent with a great view of the beach & Lake Michigan
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Situated in a great location at the north end of Chicago's Magnificent Mile, The Drake remains a classic gem of a hotel, and surprisingly affordable for such a renowned name. Rooms were clean and comfortable, with good lighting throughout. The layout of the room did leave some to be desired, with television and small couch on opposite ends (I assume this is a product of the older design of the building). Still, a lovely and well-maintained property, and definitely worth a visit.

Other notes:

Hotel is located along Michigan Ave., so catching a city bus generally means only a few minutes' wait, if you opt not to walk. Subway is a couple blocks west.

Don't bother paying extra for "City View" rooms - more often than not, your view will be of the rooftop A/C machinery.

Hotel places a $100 hold (per day reserved) on credit card upon check-in, to cover incidentals. Maybe a deal-breaker on a long stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jonathan G
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

Dear Jonathan,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Drake. We certainly make every effort to ensure this wonderful hotel is maintained as absolutely best possible and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. It is common practice for hotels to place a hold on credit cards to cover incidental charges. We appreciate your mentioning this so other travelers will be aware, as this is especially important for travelers using a debit card. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Drake. Sincerely, Russell Menkes, General Manager, russell.menkes@hilton.com.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Just returned for the windy city of Chicago. Now mind you, I always do my homework before I travel. I google every hotel, attraction and restaurant to get the best deal. I always read the reviews as well. First I have to say that this hotel ranks as one of my all time favorite luxury hotels. I travel often and believe that we all deserve to get what we pay for. If we pay a large amount for a hotel then we should get luxury. This hotel was amazing. It was absolutely beautiful. It was built in the 1920's and believe me you can feel the historical ora upon walking into the hotel. The rooms even though old were updated yet still had the wonderful historical feeling, almost haunting. The rooms are clean ansd lavish. We were able to get the bed and breakfast which was worth every cent. The food and service, simply remarkable! The staff was wonderful, professional and accomadating. The only problem was the cost of the parking. We paid $100.00 for two nights of parking, valet that is. The parking rates all over Chicago are really outragious but it just was not at this hotel. I would love to go back to the Drake. The bed was oh so comfy as well.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Frequent Flyer 2010
I am delighted to know that you enjoyed staying with us at The Drake. Our team members are very much a part of the success and appeal of this hotel and make every effort to ensure every guest stay is special. Parking in Chicago is unfortunately very expensive and hopefully we provided all parking options to you. We look forard to welcoming you back, and I hope you will contact me directly if there is ever anything I can do to be of assistance to you. Sincerely, Russell Menkes, General Manager, russell.menkes@hilton.com.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Just returning home, from what maybe our best vacation EVER!!!! My husband and I decided to share our 20th anniversary vacay with friends!!...We all decided to take the Executive Suite option, allowing us a central and relaxed meeting spot, and the most spectacular view each and every morning for breakfast!! The staff, the rooms, the location, everything was amazing about this hotel!! We loved the nostalgia and the elegance!! and it was the foundation of a fantastic time!!!...we will be returning to Chicago...and the ONLY hotel we'll even consider will be the Drake!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank stephaniefromcanada
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor,
Thank you for your review. It is a privilege to be part of this historic property, and our entire team prides itself on helping to create special occasions for our guests. We are so pleased that you had a wonderful 20th anniversary stay and we look forward to your future visits. You can be assured we will do our best to make your next stay even better ! Sincerely, Russell Menkes, General Manager. russell.menkes@hilton.com

Reviewed August 14, 2011

This was one of the best hotels I have stayed in for a long while. It was in a great location and we had views overlooking the lake (definitely worth the small upgrade fee). The place was very clean, the rooms were huge and the staff very friendly. This is an excellent location to walk to almost everything. It is not far from the Lincoln Park Zoo and right on the shopping strip. I would for sure stay here next time I come to Chicago.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2011

After living in Chicago most of my life I went back with friends for pleasure. What a great experience. Consierge service wonderful - got us into OPRAH the next day. Food great and service superb. 4 Star hotel with affordable rates. Clean rooms and spacious too.

Room Tip: Use your AAA and AARP discounts.
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends