“Some minor issues, but definitely worth a look.”
Review of The Drake Hotel

The Drake Hotel
Ranked #78 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Irvine, California
“Some minor issues, but definitely worth a look.”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Situated in a great location at the north end of Chicago's Magnificent Mile, The Drake remains a classic gem of a hotel, and surprisingly affordable for such a renowned name. Rooms were clean and comfortable, with good lighting throughout. The layout of the room did leave some to be desired, with television and small couch on opposite ends (I assume this is a product of the older design of the building). Still, a lovely and well-maintained property, and definitely worth a visit.

Other notes:

Hotel is located along Michigan Ave., so catching a city bus generally means only a few minutes' wait, if you opt not to walk. Subway is a couple blocks west.

Don't bother paying extra for "City View" rooms - more often than not, your view will be of the rooftop A/C machinery.

Hotel places a $100 hold (per day reserved) on credit card upon check-in, to cover incidentals. Maybe a deal-breaker on a long stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Jonathan G
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Dear Jonathan,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Drake. We certainly make every effort to ensure this wonderful hotel is maintained as absolutely best possible and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. It is common practice for hotels to place a hold on credit cards to cover incidental charges. We appreciate your mentioning this so other travelers will be aware, as this is especially important for travelers using a debit card. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Drake. Sincerely, Russell Menkes, General Manager, russell.menkes@hilton.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (816)
  • Turkish first
Cleveland Ohio
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Just returned for the windy city of Chicago. Now mind you, I always do my homework before I travel. I google every hotel, attraction and restaurant to get the best deal. I always read the reviews as well. First I have to say that this hotel ranks as one of my all time favorite luxury hotels. I travel often and believe that we all deserve to get what we pay for. If we pay a large amount for a hotel then we should get luxury. This hotel was amazing. It was absolutely beautiful. It was built in the 1920's and believe me you can feel the historical ora upon walking into the hotel. The rooms even though old were updated yet still had the wonderful historical feeling, almost haunting. The rooms are clean ansd lavish. We were able to get the bed and breakfast which was worth every cent. The food and service, simply remarkable! The staff was wonderful, professional and accomadating. The only problem was the cost of the parking. We paid $100.00 for two nights of parking, valet that is. The parking rates all over Chicago are really outragious but it just was not at this hotel. I would love to go back to the Drake. The bed was oh so comfy as well.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Frequent Flyer 2010
I am delighted to know that you enjoyed staying with us at The Drake. Our team members are very much a part of the success and appeal of this hotel and make every effort to ensure every guest stay is special. Parking in Chicago is unfortunately very expensive and hopefully we provided all parking options to you. We look forard to welcoming you back, and I hope you will contact me directly if there is ever anything I can do to be of assistance to you. Sincerely, Russell Menkes, General Manager, russell.menkes@hilton.com.
Toronto
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Just returning home, from what maybe our best vacation EVER!!!! My husband and I decided to share our 20th anniversary vacay with friends!!...We all decided to take the Executive Suite option, allowing us a central and relaxed meeting spot, and the most spectacular view each and every morning for breakfast!! The staff, the rooms, the location, everything was amazing about this hotel!! We loved the nostalgia and the elegance!! and it was the foundation of a fantastic time!!!...we will be returning to Chicago...and the ONLY hotel we'll even consider will be the Drake!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank stephaniefromcanada
RussellMenkes, General Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear Trip Advisor,
Thank you for your review. It is a privilege to be part of this historic property, and our entire team prides itself on helping to create special occasions for our guests. We are so pleased that you had a wonderful 20th anniversary stay and we look forward to your future visits. You can be assured we will do our best to make your next stay even better ! Sincerely, Russell Menkes, General Manager. russell.menkes@hilton.com
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This was one of the best hotels I have stayed in for a long while. It was in a great location and we had views overlooking the lake (definitely worth the small upgrade fee). The place was very clean, the rooms were huge and the staff very friendly. This is an excellent location to walk to almost everything. It is not far from the Lincoln Park Zoo and right on the shopping strip. I would for sure stay here next time I come to Chicago.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Tamarac, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2011

After living in Chicago most of my life I went back with friends for pleasure. What a great experience. Consierge service wonderful - got us into OPRAH the next day. Food great and service superb. 4 Star hotel with affordable rates. Clean rooms and spacious too.

Room Tip: Use your AAA and AARP discounts.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Bloomfield, MI
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We go to Chicago quite often, mostly to visit our daughter, but this time my husband had a business conference and I tagged along. We checked in late Sunday afternoon and I'm not sure if the doormen were understaffed or if there were some regulars that they were paying closer attention to but we had to unload half our luggage ourselves and carry them by hand up to the lobby on the main floor-one flight up. I was a bit disappointed by that level of service at such a reputable hotel. Check-in was smooth and our room more than I expected. We had a great view north overlooking Lake Shore Drive and the lake. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was not at all cramped. My husband was allergic to the down pillows and comforter but they sent up new pillows and remade the bed with blankets but left the comforter for me and left a nice note indicating which were the down pillows (for me) and the alternate pillows for him.

The bar downstairs was very cozy and the bartender was extremely attentive. Loved the feel. Had breakfast in the dining room one morning and thought the one piece of French Toast was good but very overpriced. Next time I'd go for the buffet.

The location was perfect in it was on the north end of the Miracle Mile and only a few blocks from the "L".

My only other complaint was the workout room. It was in 3 separate rooms all requiring a key to enter each. I like to do a circuit and it would have meant going between rooms. Not terrible but just inconvenient.

I would stay here again because of the convenience and the comfort of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Villagequilter
Florida
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I have stayed at the Drake for years. In the past, I was there so frequently that I reached Hilton's "Platinum" status. Those days were very nice, because the perks I received with that status were very nice (free breakfast at the Executive Lounge, free wi-fi, etc.)

Through no fault of the Drake, I've had less travel in the past few years so now I'm only at the "Silver" status. So when I checked in at the Drake this time, I didn't get any of the nice perks I had become accustomed to.

My room was OK, but the bathroom definitely could have used a better cleaning. The bedding is nice, as always. Towels are a bit worn out.

I went to the Drake Brothers for breakfast, and asked the host if there was wifi before being seated. At check-in, they said that there is wifi in all public areas. What they don't tell you is that it's $7.50 per hour.

Room service is very limited. I had an early flight home today and had to leave for the airport at 6am. Room service doesn't begin until 6am and Drake Brothers opens at 630. Really would have liked to have had an early option.

The Coq d'Or is great. Good food, very friendly atmosphere. We always enjoy the Cape Cod Room too.

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo