“Best Hotel Room EVER”

Ranked #78 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Kansas City, MO
“Best Hotel Room EVER”
Reviewed November 7, 2007

My room at the Drake Hotel in downtown Chicago was absolutely the best hotel room I've ever stayed in. It was huge .. it had lots of windows, and was very regal. The staff was great, the hotel was beautiful. And for the price, (given downtown Chicago prices) it was actually a great value. Highly recommended to anyone .. it's also a Hilton network hotel which is why I chose it.

• Liked — The almost hundred year charm
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Turkish first
Indiana
Reviewed November 6, 2007

Booked thru Priceline for $122/night (yes, I know, cheap). Upon check in, my only option (for me and my buddy) was a King smoking room. I went round and round with the front desk clerk. He went to talk with his supervisor and came back and said that was my only option for the first night, then they would move us the next day. He said, and I quote, "That's what you get for booking though Priceline." I was just so tired and had gotten so much attitude from the guy that I gave in. Went up to the room and it smelled TERRIBLE. Quite possibly the WORST room I have ever stayed in. Of course it smelled like an ash tray, but they also used this spray to diminish the smke smell and that was even worse -- think about what a port-o-let smells like. Plus the cooling system didn't work so it was way too warm despite the fact the window was open all night. The room they moved us to the next day was only slightly better, even though the inside of the lamp shades had brown stains (how does THAT happen?). Overall, the hotel is worn with frayed carpets and wallpaper that's coming off the walls. Both my rooms had stained celings in the bathrooms.

Upon check out, my bill was wrong because they incorrectly charged me for mini bar items I did not consume (c'mon, who really pays $10 for a bottle of Evian?). And parking is $45/night, but I'm ok with that because that's anywhere.

By the way, half of our group also used Priceline to book their room at the Intercontinental (also on Michigan Ave) for $100/night and got a fantastic room without the hassle and attitude.

All in all, it seems as if the Drake is wonderful if you pay full price. For the rest of us who are travelling for pleasure and who find it difficult to pay more than $200/night, don't have high expectations for this hotel. To me it seems as if once they learn you booked through Priceline, you're a 2nd class "guest."

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hoosierboy2
Southlake, Texas
Reviewed November 3, 2007

Just back from a stay at the Drake. While it is an old hotel, I was completely satisfied with the room, the service, and ammenities. Bed was excellent as were the linens and internet service was good, which is important to me. Downtown location is great.

I always book through Hilton.com and had a very nice room. I don't know what happens if you use other websites, but I can understand why they would not get a high priority with the hotel. There is a great benefit to hotel loyalty.

I highly recommend the Drake, but if you are looking for "bargains", it's probably not the place for you.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bighraider
Georgia
Reviewed November 1, 2007

This is our go-to hotel whenever we are in Chicago. Try to get a corner suite overlooking Michigan Avenue. Great views and service: turn down every night, with cookies and milk for the kids; super-soft robes and wonderful location.
I could go on and on about this great hotel...I would leave every morning before six a.m. for a jog along the lake. The doormen/valet were so supportive (singing the Rocky theme, and even timing me!)
We stayed with six people: two adults, and four kids. Great time all-around.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank ericasahoney
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed October 31, 2007

My husband and I spent two nights at the Drake at the end of our Chicago stay. We were fortunate to receive an employee rate, which brought the room under 200$ which is excellent for any Chicago area property, let alone a landmark. The hotel is attractive. Our check-in was easy and we were treated well, despite paying less for our room. Yes, the hotel is old, but it is by no means falling apart. Our room was well-appointed and well decorated. Our bathroom door did not shut perfectly due to age, but who cares. We were greeted with a variety of fresh berries and a berry tart presented attractively in our room. The hotel has a good location, close to the lake and close to shopping. It is not close to a Metro station. We made the mistake of schlepping our luggage down MI avenue to the hotel and it was a long walk!
The beds were comfortable and I thought the bathrooms were beautiful. We did not eat at the hotel. Our carpet showed some signs of wear. All in all, I was very happy to have stayed at such a famous hotel and there were no problems at all with our stay. To be honest, we spent very little time in the room. We took the Architecural Society's boat tour which was wonderful. I wouldn't recommend wasting to much time with Navy Pier- very touristy and crowded, with no place to eat. The Shakespeare company was good though. We enjoyed Millenium Park. I had been there for the grand opening and it was just as good, and less crowded than I had remembered. We stayed outside of the city for a week as my husband had business, and I was able to visit the botannical gardens, which are not to be missed. This is a huge garden and it is magnificent. There is an excellent outdoor train portion as well.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank kjscap
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Stayed there for my birthday weekend and was taken back in time to Old Chicago! Great High Tea service and unbeatable lake views from rooms on that side of the hotel. Although it's showing its age a bit, there's still so much history & charm around every corner. A wonderful departure from the normal tourist hotels. While you're there, head up to the 96th floor of the Hancock Tower for a cocktail and one of the best views you'll ever see.

• Liked — Grandeur, history
  • Disliked — cabs, so many cabs.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 29, 2007

The Drake is a nice location in Chicago, though needs some work inside. We booked through Priceline and thank the Lord we did. I can't imagine paying anymore than $120 a night for that dump. However, when you book through a discount hotelier be prepared to be treated like crap! The valet guys were great...but then again they didn't know we didn't pay to full $300+ full price a night. We asked to get 2 double beds and not a King (because we had 2 small children) and they refused to do that even though most hotels will do that simple change with Priceline patrons. They claimed none of the rooms in our group would accomodate more than 2 people (even with an airbed) but my sister got a large corner unit that would have(also booked on Priceline for $120). They lied... We booked 3 rooms there for the weekend because we had a wedding in town. I ended up "selling" my unit to a relative and got an even better room via Priceline at the Westin River North(see that review). Don't waste your time or your money at The Drake!

• Liked — The valet
  • Disliked — Reservation agents
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family