“Filthy carpet. This place is a rat hole. The staff was great.”
Review of The Willows

The Willows
Ranked #77 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
illinois
Reviewed November 18, 2005

I think all the good reviews written about this was put in by the staff or people taking happy pills. This is a bare bones hotel with old worn out carpet in the bedrooms. Sure, the lobby is nice, but you don't sleep in the lobby. The carpet in the room was filthy and I was scared to step on it with my socks on! There was no hot water in the shower, weird since the faucet had plenty. The room was dark and stuffy and looked out to a brick wall. The shower didn't work well and the tub was missing it's drain stop. My cell phone didn't work inside the hotel. The elevator is ancient. People were running up and down the hallways till 2.30 am! The card to get in the door failed many times. The staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast was OK. The staff was the only good thing about this place. Please stay here only if you want to save money. Otherwise, this place sucks.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for The Willows

cincinnati
Reviewed September 30, 2005

Just got back from Chicago had to go there for a medical appt for my daughter. The staff at this hotel were so helpful. Even printed out directions for getting around town. Very comfy rooms, suprisingly very quiet also. The hotel was almost like an oasis from the hustle and bustle of the city. The tree lined street the hotel is located on was lovely! Very conveniently located. If I ever return to Chicago no matter what my budget is for the trip this hotel will have my business. They were great. Coffee and tea vailable 24/7 in the lobby. And the coffee was great. Cant say enough how much we enjoyed our stay here. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 11, 2005

Stayed here for two nights - very friendly staff, nice location, presentable accommodation. Would stay here again if looking to be in the Lincoln Park area although would probably stay downtown next time.

• Stayed: September 2005
Reviewed May 9, 2005

This is a fantastic little hotel if you want to be in the Lincoln Pk area - nothing too fancy, but just fine - clean & quaint. The staff is very helpful - on a nice residential street - the charm of a European inn.

• Stayed: May 2005
8  Thank shayandthecity
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed May 7, 2005

My brother and I came to visit Chicago for a family wedding. The bride and groom had made reservations for a lot of the family to stay at the Willows Hotel, and while I generally stay downtown for business, I was surprised by how nice the Willows was! There were quite a few really nice little shops/restaurants/bars in the area; not to mention the fact that we walked to the lake, the zoo, and the conservatory. It was a cute and quiet little place with very helpful and friendly staff, I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Winona, MN
Reviewed February 27, 2005

We have been all over the world and prefer to stay in independent hotels and b-n-b's when ever possible.

I spent a of time looking for such a place in the downtown Chicago area.
We found what we were looking for in THE WILLOWS.

My girlfriend is a Vegetarian and we asked about area resturants that we might enjoy. The recommendation from the hotel staff was OUTSTANDING.

We would rate this hotel as FOUR STAR ---- it had a definate Europeon flavor WITHOUT the bathrooms being DOWN THE HALL. We will DEFINATELY stay at THE WILLOWS again.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 19, 2005

My husband and I stayed at The Willows for 5 nights this Dec. 04 b/c it was a few blocks from our daughter's apt. Be forwearned - their internet ad is MUCH nicer than the reality. It's centrally located if you want to stay in Lincoln Park - but it isn't a cute, boutique hotel, even though it advertises itself as one.

The lobby was a bit shabby - and the free continental breakfast was fast-foodish, carb-laden, and recycled. We didn't eat it once. The hallways were long and narrow - not very inviting. I felt as if I were walking down an old-fashioned rooming house kind of place - not an inviting little hotel. The elevator was a small, old cage affair (cute in movies, not in real life).

Our room was very 1950's - beige, dingy, and dark. We had twin beds, I think - not two queens. Our windows overlooked a parking lot which had an all-night light that shined and made loud noises (so I wore ear plugs and kept the shades down). The bathroom was large - clean - and the products were replenished daily. We could hear someone practicing her flute down the hall - and people having sex in a room above us. The people next door had small kids - which we could hear clearly through the walls. Our TV was small - but hooked up to cable. There wasn't a closet - just an old armoire. I checked out the Days Inn a few blocks away - and The Willows was definitely better - but it wasn't a great, charming, adorable place by any stretch of the imagination.

20  Thank Sharron F