“Charming”
Review of The Willows

The Willows
Ranked #78 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My 10yr old son and I arrived at The Willows in January 2014 just as the winter storm was rolling into town. We had booked for two nights before flying back to Australia and were understandably worried about our flights still going ahead - the staff were wonderful and catered to our needs in case we needed to stay longer. We had stayed at The Majestic when we arrived in the USA and found that hotel equally as charming and comfortable. Great value for money with a nice breakfast and snacks too. Good location close to shops and train/bus links. Room service also.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Rebekah N

Reviewed January 20, 2014

A friend and I stayed at The Willows in January of 2014 and we loved it. Nothing fancy but lots of old world charm and the staff makes you feel like you are at home. Eric, Alex, Bianca and Ben were amazing. The beds and bedding were so luxurious and everything was very clean. Public parking was right around the corner and this was important during a very snowy weekend. The neighborhood is fun-- near the lake and lots of restaurants and shops nearby. The coffee was good and breakfast was fine. The price was right and they treat you like a guest. There wasn't a closet in our room and we informed them that we needed to hang formal dresses. Within minutes a garment hanger was in our room. I would suggest that they need more hooks in the bathroom and a place to hang clothes. Otherwise-- I loved it!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mil0nga
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Found this hotel while searching for a deal for weekend stay. Love the location, love the charm of smaller hotel in older building. Bed was so comfortable and inviting. Had to ask for rolling clothes rack b/c no closet in room but staff was quickly accommodating. Speaking of staff - they were great. Adrian, from the front desk was super helpful when we were checking in. Eric was terrific - helping us get to the parking and suggesting some restaurants. And Bianco was great when we were checking out. I will totally stay here again on my next trip to Chicago!

Room Tip: we had a room with two queen beds; decent sized but sink in bathroom was pedestal so not a lot of ro...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank DJP2009
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We needed to find a place to stay after the furnace failed in our condo rental. I had looked at the hotel as a backup just in case. The Willows turned out to be a smaller hotel (my preference) near our son's home, European in style (tiny elevator) with a friendly and helpful staff. Our room was small but adequate since we weren't there much and it was a little shabby around the edges although very clean. The breakfast was adequate, enough to get us going. Our room was a great price in the middle of winter, but I don't know if I would have paid $290 for it in the summer, as the front desk quoted.

Room Tip: Although our room was above the front desk, it was on a side street and not very noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed for two nights with our two teenage daughters. The hotel was very quiet and perfect for what we wanted. The hotel staff was always very helpful whenever we asked for directions, restaurant choices, etc. We will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: We read several reviews and upon arrival we asked for a room away from the alley. Our room was extre...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KirsopMuskego
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We checked in late and left after breakfast so our experience was limited but fine. The Willows is not a luxurious ranked hotel but we knew that and we found it was more than adequate for the price. The location In Lincoln Park was fine, the room was nice but small, (and it was clean) the breakfast was not much but the coffee was great, and that's the main thing. The only drawback was the parking. We are from SC and not used to paying high overnite Chicago parking prices, so it kind of smarts when we forget to add that into the overall cost. I think it was about $50. However, that is part of the deal in a large city, ( you'd find the same thing in metro Atlanta). I'd stay here again as long as we got the same good rate.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
marino44, Regional Manager at The Willows, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Willows Hotel. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guest.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Keith Scott
Regional Manager
Broughton Hotels

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at this Lincoln Park hotel on a groupon. Took both my girls on Chicago Xmas shop trip. We were way to far from the city center. I was hoping for boutique shopping which we found but stores spread out. We arrived for late check in on sat night. At first glance, foyer was cozy but furnishings shabby and worn. We were given one of the first rooms on the main 1st floor. NEVER AGAIN! What happens is people stand outside this room at 3 am and have conversations, loud ones. At 7 am they do the same on their way to breakfast! This room was right next to managers office. At 4 am we were awakened by someone above moving furniture-loudly! No thanks! Rooms are old and worn albeit high ceilings and comfy beds. Room overlooked brick wall. Next morning, breakfast was standard free fare( cheap eggs, yogurt, breads, fruit) and dining was in foyer which was packed so we went back to room.

To top all this neg. experience off, I discover the true nightly rate is $99 which is $36 less than what I paid with groupon!!!!! What a joke!!!! On a positive note, staff friendly but this alone not worth coming back.

Stores in proximity are TJ Maxx, bed, bath, beyond

Room Tip: Don't select 1st floor just steps from manager office
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nursenomo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Willows Hotel. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests and we pay careful attention to comments such as yours so that we may take immediate steps to correct any deficiencies. I am of course very concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies that you were left to feel disappointed in any way.
I would like to assure you that our intention is to make every effort to deliver upon the high standards we have set ourselves so as to provide a high level of value and warmly memorable experience each and every time a guest visits. I would like to discuss this matter further with you so please email me at keith@broughtonhotels.com or call me at 773-404-3499.
I hope that your experience on this visit will not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you back to Chicago. We certainly look forward to the opportunity to welcome your return.

Keith Scott