“Diamond in the rough...”
Review of The Willows

The Willows
Ranked #77 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We are Chicago residents and had to vacate our rented apartment after rats showed up in the kitchen after moving in. With two children, we needed something that was close by our daycare but weren't sure we could afford something downtown or in our neighborhood. John, the manager, gave us a wonderful rate after hearing about our experience. We stayed for 4 nights and the entire staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful to us. The hotel is charming & quaint with a great location, wonderful bathrooms, nice ambiance and again a FABULOUS staff. Can't recommend it enough! My 3 year old daughter still talks about "Mr. Ricky", the valet, who greeted her every morning with a smile and a hug and gave her extra cookies. Only complaint would be that the A/C unit in the window wasn't pumping out cold air very well...but it was a very hot period and might have needed a break.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
marino44, Regional Manager, Broughton Hotels at The Willows, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Willows Hotel on TripAdvisor. I'am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services, and facilities and I know my team will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Willows Hotel in the near future.

Keith Scott
Regional Manager
Broughton Hotels

There are newer reviews for The Willows

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at The Willows after Thanksgiving with my wife and sister.
The hotel was in a great location, within walking distance of lots of bars and restaurants. (I'd recommend the Friar Tuck on Broadway) It's also handy for bus routes into the downtown area and loop.
The Willows is small and comfortable. It's different from the large dowtown hotels in that is has character and offers a personal service. My room was large and fresh.
Free wi-fi in our room was something that you don't often get with the big chains.
Overall a good experience and I'd stay here again.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is a very nice smaller hotel, clean, comfortable beds. The staff is staff, very accomodating. Good value if you look for other optios than the website. Continental breakfast. Sometimes temperature control in room is an issue. Very welcoming, have returned several times, will again.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great Hotel in the center of residential Lincoln Park. Very convenient to many restaurants and activities. A short taxi ride (3-4 miles) to the loop. Management very attentive and helpful. A terrific value, a throw back to earlier times with all you need for comfortable stay.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at the willows for the Chicago marathon. When booking the hotel I had no idea of anywhere in Chicago. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised when we arrived, the marathon runners ran at the end of the road. The hotel is in a lovely, peaceful neighbourhood a short train ride from downtown Chicago. We have done our fair share of travelling and I have to say that this was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. The entrance/reception area has a very homely feel to it and the staff are excellent and very helpful and friendly. I enjoyed the breakfast which was more than enough for us. There is tea/coffee all day long and cookies at 4 o'clock.
If I am ever in a position to visit Chicago again I would most definitely stay at the willows

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We defintelety liked the area where this cozy hotel is. The bed was very comfortable and the rate includes a self service breakfast that can be enjoyed in the hall. It is distant from downtown. Nevertheless, it is very easy to get to the centre of the city by train. For those who are not used to cold weather, as we aren't, it would be a good idea to make some in the rooms in order to install a heating equipment that can be controled by the guests. Wherever, the satff promptly tried to help us with a potable heating when we asked for it. There are good restaurants and other shops nearby.

Room Tip: We'd rather try the more expensive rooms in the front side next time.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Willows sits in the midst of a residential Chicago neighborhood a few blocks from the lake and from Grant Park zoo. There are tons of reasonably priced restaurants in walking distance--typically wonderful Chicago. The hotel is cozy, reasonably priced, free Internet, free breakfast (minimal), and the staff are great. Rooms are comfortable but next time I will ask for something larger (we opted for the cheapest) because our queen was very small. I would also ask for a room further from the elevator because it "dings" every time it comes to the floor--luckily, there don't seem to be any late night carousers and I brought my earplugs. All and all a nice choice.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple