“Classy hotel, great rooms”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #69 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Coto de Caza, California
“Classy hotel, great rooms”
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We stayed at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers while taking my son and daughter back to school. A week prior we stayed at the W in Chicago on Lakeshore Drive. While both are fine Starwood properties, the W was loud and pretentious. The Sheraton, on the other hand, impresses in its understatement. It is simply a classic hotel, well appointed, and comfortable. Staff was helpful and friendly across the board, from the front desk to the cocktail waitress who brought us our well made drinks. This is my hotel of choice in Chicago.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I am a picky guest, working in the hotel industry for a competitor. The Sheraton Chicago hotel staff was terriffic. Despite the heavy bookings and turnover during our stay, the staff blocked us an additional room on the same floor when our son joined us for the second night of our stay. The hotel allowed us a late checkout for the larger room on the day of departure, which was nice for us as a family since our planes did not depart until late afternoon. All of us agreed the beds were very comfortable. The hotel was very busy the entire period of our stay, but we nevertheless received excellent and cheerful service, from the front desk to the housekeepers to the bell staff. Beautiful lakefront views from the rooms, and the location is ideal--just a block east of the congestion of Michigan Avenue and close to the Loop. The hotel is less than a ten minute walk to Millennium Park and the Art Institute...make sure you find an hour or two to visit. We booked as part of a wedding group, and the rate was very good. We did not use most of the hotel facilities because I am a former Chicagoan familiar with the city; this hotel was well located to get to all our destinations (restaurants, Navy Pier, Lincoln Park, Grant Park, museums, theater, North Side, Hyde Park), and, unlike many of the downtown hotels, it has very convenient access by car/taxi with none of the Loop or Michigan Avenue congestion.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed October 6, 2010

This hotel is perfectly situated to take advantage of all Chicago has to offer. It is two blocks form lake Michigan where you can walk to Navy Pier, enjoy the lakeside bike / walking path for a leisurely walk or a multi-mile run. It is also two blokc from Michigan avenue where you can shop and sightsee all day or have lunch, breakfast or just people watch. The staff at this hotel are some of the best I have seen. I travel fo rbusiness for a living and this place is "TOP NOTCH" accross the board from service to voerall value and experience.

My wife and I spen three nights during a weekend in July and to celebrate or 22 Anniversary. What a trip. The room was not ready when we arrived as the hotel was very busy, so they gave us a couple drink tickets to relax until room was ready. Now, I am a frequent preferred guest here and I get treated very well. We were also upgraded to a very nice room. Danit Harth is the Chief Experience Officer and she is Top notch.

This hotel is also located on the river which is very nice to stroll along or catch an architectural cruise. Lover this hotel and going back again with my family in late October. I can't wait.

Jamie Mueller

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Illinois
Reviewed October 3, 2010

This hotel is in a good location along the river. Free wi-fi is available in the coffee shop and some portions of the meeting rooms. Walking distance to neighborhood diners and coffee shops as well as the Magnificent Mile. Overall a decent business hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 3, 2010

When I entered the room, I was fairly happy with the decor and what looked like a flean, new bed. But, traveler beware as I did an inspection before I put my bags down, and although I did not see signs of bugs in the room, I awoke with a few red welts similar to mosquito bites on my stomach and back. When I was packing my bag, I found one trying to hide in it. Lord knows if there are more I missed...but really, we all know where there's one, there's more. After running around in total panic, and inspecting further, I saw the black remnants of them in the sheets and on the mattress. I think the hotel staff did a reasonable job of surface cleaning, but bed bugs are good avoiders, and an overnight brought them out. Check your bags people...if you don't, you'll bring the darn things home.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
8 Thank imtheglobetrotter
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 1, 2010

This hotel really gets the idea of customer service. They are all friendly, helpful and very willing to take the time to answer anything. While the rooms are pretty standard, the beds rock and the location cannot be beat. I am frustrated by the fact that the internet costs about $15 a day and if you want to use the workout facilities you have to pay $12 a day. I feel like these things should just come with a place to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank greenfairy0
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 30, 2010

This hotel is in one of the best locations in the city. You can have a view of the River and the Lake. It is located right on the river and there are always tour boats coming by with happy people on them.

There is an outdoor restaurant along the river with a great view of some of the buildings.

The service was great and we had a free food happy hour from 5-8 along with breakfast. This is included with a deluxe room. There was an amazing view from the 33rd floor.

The rooms were nice and beds are comfortable.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends