“Bring your own matress!”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #77 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I was in Chicago for two nights. I had booked my reservations through Priceline and was very pleased with the reasonable rate we payed - $80.00 USD a night. The Hotel was large, attractive, and well staffed. Best of all, the hotel was nicely situated near all tourist activities. We had a wonderful time walking Chicago and if you’re interested in the architectural boat tours, you can’t get much closer to the dock at the Michigan St. Bridge.
Now, the down side. I spent these two nights sleeping on the floor. The super soft designer mattresses were a two night sentence in hell. There was not a spot on the mattress I did not sink in 6-8 inches, and there was no support whatsoever. There were four of us on the trip; two were ok with the beds, not happy, but OK. The other two were in pain most of the night.
I Spoke to the staff, they said they are aware of the problem and they have started a campaign of changing the super soft mattresses with more typical ones. They claim to be starting on the top floor and working their way down. Obvious they haven’t reached the 15th floor yet.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (5,177)

Reviewed August 3, 2009

After reading the reviews on this site, I was a little wary of staying at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers. However, I got it at a great price on priceline so I was going to make a go of it. Our room was not ready until an hour after check in time but we were in no hurry to get into it and did not make a fuss for some kind of compensation. Our room was clean and the bed was soft and cozy. No complaints about the room. The concierge was very friendly and gave us a great recommendation for a Thai restaurant and even provided us with walking directions. At check out we had to wait in this cramped basement room for our car. Because of the rush for cars at checkout, our wait was about 20 minutes. The waiting area for the cars is rather dark and has some dated couches in it. That whole parking waiting area scenario needs to be revamped and updated. For the money I spent, I would return. However, many of the people waiting in the parking lounge were unhappy with the condition of their rooms or the service. I guess the place can be kind of hit or miss and you have to expect that when you stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed here for a long weekend. It is a sheraton, so you get the standard large hotel service. Rooms were good, especially if you get one like ours looking down the river towards the downtown area. We simply asked for a good view when we checked in and the staff did a great job to oblige.

If you are in Chicago for a short time, it is the best location for shopping on "the miracle mile" , a quick walk across the river to the millenium park and a grant park and not too far away from navy pier. There is actually a free trolley run by the city council that runs a loop from State street, (where the closest subway station is that links with the downtown area), within a block of the hotel and Navy Pier. This therefore makes everything much closer, and is a good way to get around this end of town.

Overall good experience. Bed is interesting, mattresses are very soft and is hard to find your bed buddy!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I just finished a three-night stay at The Sheraton. Here are my pros and cons:

Location: If you like shopping, you're just a short walk away from the base of Michigan Avenue. Also, if you like parks, Millennium Park isn't too far either. Also, you're right by Navy Pier. Across from the hotel, there's a Walgreens, and across from that, there's a Dominick's Supermarket. East on Illinois, there's a random grocery store, and then the beautiful Fox & Obel--an upscale grocery.

Views: My room on the 18th floor had a great view of Navy Pier.

Gym: A fully-equipped gym. ($12 a day or $20 for the duration of your stay.) There are even two spinning bikes outside on the river, which I thought was a nice touch.

Bed: Despite other reports, my bed was awesome. It was not super-soft. It seemed quite new.

Cons

Bell Service: When I checked out, I called down for bell service and was told someone would call me back shortly. 20 mins later and no one had called me back yet an I had to leave in 10 mins. So I just left.

Lots of Convention Traffic: This is a big convention hotel. So if you're just in town for the weekend, it might be a bit odd, wandering around all the conventioneers.

Concierge: There was always a huge queue. I gave up.

Decor: Wall coverings looked new. Carpets not so new? Odd.

Safe: The safe in my room was VERY small. Maybe about 4 or 5 inches deep? I could not fit my laptop into the safe along with my other stuff. Also, the safe in my room required a key, so I had to carry the key around with me for the rest of the weekend.

All in all, it felt a bit soulless and corporatey. I like the Kimpton properties better. (Not the Allegro though. Go for the Burnham or Monaco first.)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2009

It is probably what you would expect from a Sheraton - nice rooms, a little pricey maybe (but it is downtown and our room had great views of Navy Pier & the lake). Our air conditioning did not work on arrival and called down & had the motor replaced 30 minutes after we called. The hotel apparently laid off a bunch of maintenance people over the winter with the downturn in travel, and the result is a lot of basic maintenance did not get done and they may be paying the price with emergencies all summer long. Still the response was more rapid than just about any hotel problem I have had and afterward had no complaints. I notice that there are a couple of complaints about lobby service, and there were at least two convention/conferences going on at the hotel, but I don't wait around for anyone to carry my bag for me anyway, so can't comment on that kind of service. My bed was fine (and I like a firm mattress) so that sounds like I was either lucky or random on that point.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We were heading to the Chicago area to visit relatives in the suburbs and decided to stay in the city for the first night. The Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers offered a great deal for booking 21 days in advance.

It is in such a great location on the river with lake views and near the magnificent mile and navy pier. We walked the entire city and had a fantastic nights sleep on a very comfy bed!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2009

On the plus side, it's a great location with great views of the river, and the lake. Steps from Michigan Ave and all the action.
On the down side, I was first put into a wheelchair accessible room, which had a low ceiling and an open bathroom (no tub, just side shower area of floor). While the bed in this room was "normal" (i.e. generally firm), the shower was only really useable as a handheld shower, as the water shot across the shower area horizontally with the head placed in the wall mount. After getting moved to another room (I couldn't deal with that for 3 more nights), I did get a great view of the river and lake and Navy Pier, but now I had what others have described as the bed from hell. So soft it's like sleeping in a marshmallow. Not something I've ever experienced in any other hotel ever. While it might sound appealing, it was so soft it was difficult to change positions and move around, and my companion actually had to sleep on the floor as it was too soft and bad for his back. When I complained about the bed at checkout they did remark that "they are working on that" which may mean they plan on replacing them, as many of my travel companions also complained about these beds. Solely for the horrible beds I would not recommend staying here (unless you want a really soft bed with no back support).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business