“nice hotel”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #78 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I liked the hotel and location right on the river. very pretty setting. The rooms and service are very nice. Stay was for a convention and I was there for 5 nights. Not a 5 rating because the convention meals were just ok, with the exception of the desserts, which were great.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the river
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Mary P, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear CheecheeAtlanta_Ga_,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are happy that you enjoyed your overall stay and appreciate your comments regarding the meals. We hope that the conference you attended will bring you back to the Sheraton in the near future.

Executive Office

Write a ReviewReviews (5,132)

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Check in was extremely friendly. It was raining during our stay and I loved the large umbrellas that the concierge would lend out. The hotel is nicely decorated. The good qualities stop there. I travel to Chicago quite a bit and decided to try a new hotel.

We were on the 10th floor and it was extremely noisy. I had an awful night sleep. Every time a hotel room door closes, it slams. This hotel does not have the updated hotel doors that prevent them from slamming. So, you hear everyone coming and going from their rooms at all hours. The walls are not well insulated either, so you easily hear conversations from the halls and neighoring rooms. I heard children crying at night and I know that they were across the hall and two rooms down from us. It was so loud, I would not return to this hotel for just this reason.

But, I would mostly not return to the hotel based on the service from the bell staff. It was awful how they "expected" high tips without corresponding service. When I asked for them to retrieve my luggage, I told the bellman (Freddy) that I wanted my luggage stored because I was going for a walk and still had up to four hours of parking paid for in the garage. He became flustered and told me I needed to come down to get my bags first. I did not understand this. I explained that if I left the parking garage, I would have to pay an additional $24 to return to the garage for an hour and I didn't want to do that. He said not to worry about it, to get my car and then he would take care of my car for me while I went for a walk. So, I get down stairs and Freddy is nowhere around. A different man (the older one) working the front drive retrieves my bags and loads them in the car. I explain what Freddy said about my car and the older bellman said that I needed to give him a tip for Freddy and then he would take care of my car. When I returned (two hours later from my walk) to get my car, it was parked on the street in front of the hotel. The second (older) bellman's first comment to me in a rude voice was, "Wow. You were gone so long I almost forgot about you." I then asked for my keys and asked if he had change for a $20 for a tip. He asked me how much change I wanted and I said $15. He became very irrate and said, "I've been keeping an eye on your car for two hours and all you are going to give me is $5." I didn't understand this. If I was supposed to tip him $20, I would have just reparked and not dealt with him. Plus, the hotel offered this service to me--I didn't ask for it. Don't misunderstand me, I fully understand how tips work and I stay at high quality hotels. I actually tip quite well for good service. The minute this bellman rudely said that I had taken too long on my walk is when he didn't earn his tip.

This hotel is three long blocks off of Michigan Ave. There are high quality hotels right on Michigan Ave. that are a better stay without rude staff. I will not return to this hotel for any reason.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask for the last one in the hallway.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
madalyn w, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Jwinterhouse,

We appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I do apologize for any disappointment and would like the opportunity to discuss your experience. Please contact me at your convenience at 312-464-1000 or madalyn.ward-freeman@sheraton.com.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We use to travel to Chicago once year for an annual meeting at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers. A great full-service hotel with all of the amenities and a great staff. It was the first time I had been back to the Sheraton for a number of years and it felt like coming home. I remembered why the Sheraton has been and will be my first choice when I visit Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Geoffrey T,

Thank you for the great review! It's so nice to hear that you had a memorable experience at our hotel. Please visit us more often and when you do decide to come back "home" please feel free to reach out to me and I will make sure that you have a pleasant stay.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in July. The hotel is very clean, and nice. Staff is very friendly. My only issue with this hotel is that, while the rates appear fair, it's the add-ons that will ramp up your final bill.
Parking is 45.00 a night ( we were aware when we booked though ) but having to pay 13.95 a day for wifi? In this day and age? Even a basic room at a Motel 6 includes wi-fi.
There is no refrigerator in your room for your use....They do have a fridge that is stocked full of overpriced bar items and it includes a sign stating that if you remove everything to store your own items there's a 25.00 charge ( which is the same charge to request a fridge for your room)
They do offer a complimentary water bottle ( one bottle that is approx. 4 oz ) So we walked a block over to Walgreens buy some water for our room
There is coffee in the room and since we opted not to have our room cleaned we had to go all over to get refills the second day. The maid gave us coffee but had no cream/sugar, we went to the desk only to be told to go downstairs to the Linq.....went downstairs to find the Linq closed and no one around. So we ended up going to the bar to buy a coffee instead of continuing on a ridiculous quest. The bartender, however, gave us cream in a cup to take back to the room, which was very nice.
Our stay was alright.....but just alright. The friendly staff is what made it worth it, however I believe with some many hotels in the same area I will certainly stay elsewhere next year when we return.

1  Thank boyzmom33

Dear boyzmom33,

We appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your overall stay. I do apologize for any disappointment and would like the opportunity to discuss your experience. Please contact me at your convenience at 312-464-1000 or madalyn.ward-freeman@sheraton.com.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed here July 5th and unfortunately I had some horrible experiences during the very beginning of my stay but because of the great staff our stay was excellent. I was first checked in by a gentleman who was not having a very good day and the room that he checked us into was not a high floor which I requested and it was very small and out dated. So I went down and I then spoke with Sarah I believe and she blocked us in a room on the 30th floor but it was not yet ready. Sarah was great. We decided to walk to brunch while ordering the hotel called and said our room was ready. We cancelled our food and headed back and when we arrived at the room it was in fact still dirty from the previous guest. Luckily we ran into this Awesome Housekeeping supervisor name ALMIR I believe (tall with an accent) He waited while we called down to Guest services they wanted us to wait in the room he waited with us every step of the way. We were eventually given another room and Almir walked us there to make sure everything was ok. 20 mins later the phone rang and it was Almir with our new set of Keys. He went above and beyond to apologize on the behalf of the hotel. It actually took away from the fact that we had asked to speak to a manager on multiple occasions and it never happened. The manager never even called to apologize but maybe its normal for their guest to get checked into dirty rooms.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Andy M, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear KatKie07,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback about your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that you were checked into a dirty room. What you experienced is definitely not our standard of service. I will be sure to share your great feedback with Amir and Sarah. If your travels bring you back to Chicago we hope to see you again.

Warm Regards,

Andy M - Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I just had to write a second review on this fabulous hotel. We recently stayed for 2 nights in early July. The Sheraton Hotel is our "go to" hotel in Chicago. I continue to be impressed with the personal service and attention by staff at all levels. We did have a maintenance problem but it was fixed immediately. Their breakfast in the lower level restaurant was delicious and staff attentive. The spacious lounge was recently decorated...very nice. Our travel to Chicago is about the sites and sounds of Chicago...this hotel is in the heart of it all for foodies, sightseeing, museums, shopping, access to neighborhoods, and just people watching. Word to conferences attendees...get out of hotel and experience the energy that is Chicago.

Room Tip: The architectural design of the building affords great views of the city, river and in some cases th...

Dear Sheila N,

Thank you for the great review and loyalty to our hotel! We are so happy that our staff made a memorable impression on you during your stay. We appreciate all the amazing comments regarding your overall experience from the food service, our newly decorated lounge and lobby area. Looking forward to your return visit and if you need any assistance please feel free to contact me!

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Overall the hotel is ok- it's in Chicago so it was ok for the price. What surprised us was the sign on the mini fridge that said if we wanted to put our own soda or anything in it it would cost us 25$ a day. Or we could rent a mini fridge for 25 bucks . If we had brought a baby or had really needed it it would have been super aggravating. Not to mention it's just a cheesy/cheap policy.
No free wifi either.
Tip- don't nickel and dime people.

Room Tip: Don't get a room with a connecting door- the people next door were super loud- had kids and it...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family