“Very nice stay overall, but ...”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #70 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This was our first visit to this hotel as we generally avoid Sheratons because of a very bad experience on our honeymoon many years ago. It looks like it has been renovated fairly recently, and it’s a nice renovation overall. The walls were a bit bare and there was a weird, cockeyed reading lamp in an odd location for reading. The bath was lovely, but the shower still had the original old faucet, water control handle and shower curtain rod – why would they skimp like that? There were no towel rods, just 1 hook on the back of the door – a pet peeve of mine – and the bathroom lighting, while plentiful, made me look jaundiced. There are signs all over the place touting their “green initiatives”, but then they stocked the beautiful rooms with tacky plastic drinking glasses instead of nice, reusable, glass ones, though there were glass wine glasses. And in a double room they provided only one coffee cup. The single cup coffee maker was nice, but it leaked all over the place. The staff was pleasant, professional and efficient. Our room had a lovely view looking west along the river towards the Wrigley Building, Trump Tower and Marina City.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
madalyn w, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear ItchyFeetBTS

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are glad you decided to come back to the Sheraton Brand. Glad you enjoyed your stay overal, staff was professional and efficient. We look forward to hosting your next visit to Chicago.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grand Chicago

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I totally agree with other guests who wrote about lack of towels, slow tub drains, outdated rooms, cold (heated) pool. For the price charged for conference guests, you would think that the rooms would include a mini -fridge. The bathroom floor was not cleaned well from previous guests, and the outside windows were very dirty. Room service dirty dishes remained in the hallways for 3 days. One tray had an uneaten sandwich that smelled. I am a SPG member and was not offered complimentary Wi-Fi as other reviewers stated. I was not offered free parking as another reviewer wrote..... The room rates for conference attendees are certainly much higher than rates for non-conference days. And some conference guests DO pay with their "own dime." Last years conference was located in Honolulu, and the room rates were less than this hotel charged. I will mention, that the food at this conference was very good. The Sheraton has an inviting spacious lobby, compared to New York conference hotels that have nowhere to sit. The 2 on-site cafes close too early. (Shula's-only for tourists). This Sheraton is not situated close to Chicago Landmarks, unfortunately, you will have to walk a distance, when it is cold, windy and raining. (in springtime!) I do not think I would return to the Sheraton if I ever went back to Chicago for a vacation. There are numerous competitive hotels in the Chicago Loop.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river towards the city buildings. ask for the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank KailuaSunrise

Dear KailuaSunrise,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you had a nice stay overall for your conference. We take your feedback to make improvements to our product and services. Please the next time you are in Chicago reach out to me personally to expedite your stay. We would love to host your next visit.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We got a great rate through Hotwire. Isaiah at check-in was very helpful and friendly. The lobby was comfortable and nicely decorated. We had a corner room with a beautiful view of the river and lake. The room was clean and bed comfortable. We did notice some places in the hallways where the wallpaper was peeling. It is a 1/2mile walk from the nearest Red line train and just a few blocks from bus lines, so pretty convenient.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have beautiful views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Number 9NY

Thank you choosing the Sheraton as your place to stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and Isaiah was great during the check in process. Yes we are in a great location and it sounds like you had an opportunity to visit our beautiful city. We look forward in hosting your next visit.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Excellent property in Chicago .. good gym, great location and great service. The rooms are attractive and well-appointed. The beds (Sheraton Sweet Sleeper) are very comfortable. Great views all around.

Room Tip: Room on the south side faces the city. Two blocks from the Miracle Mile.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank opsan99
madalyn w, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Dear opsan99

Thank you for sharing.We glad you enjoyed your stay and all our wonderful amenities. We we love to host your next stay.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here with a friend for some fun after being in the Chicago suburbs for work. We stayed Friday and Saturday night, 5/2 & 5/3

Check in was great. Fast, friendly and helpful. We dropped our bags in our room. Room was great. Amazing view of the river. It was clean, well maintained. Only thing that was needed was extra towels. 2 sets of towels for 2 girls doesn't work, but its a girl thing. They have already said they would address it going forward when brought to their attention. So, no complaints.

We headed to the concierge desk and Suzanne was fantastic. She set us up with Cubs tickets for a 1pm game (we checked in at 11:30) at a great price. Set us up on the Architectural Boat tour the next day and gave us vouchers for entrance into a number of great clubs/bars for the evening, places to go for breakfast, dinner, shopping, etc.
Amazing service!

Thanks to her great advice we met some fun people and had an amazing time!

I will definitely be back! Hopefully very soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear hb9911

Thank you for sharing. Wow what a great stay. We are glad to hear that our staff wads accommodating. We also hope you will be back soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This hotel is quite lovely. Situated along the river, a few blocks back from Michigan Avenue, it has a great location, a bit of the beaten track. The rooms are attractive and well-appointed. The beds are unbelievably plush and comfortable. The common areas are very attractive and inviting. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Upon check in the clerk indicated that if I joined the rewards club, I could receive free wi-fi during my stay. So I joined! The concierge was very knowledgeable and gave me a great suggestion for lunch my first day.

Just a couple of problems. I was out of my room from 9am-3pm and when I returned, the room had not yet been cleaned (and no, my "do not disturb" sign was not on the door). I called guest services and they said they would send someone right away. 45 minutes later, nothing. I called again and someone came 20 minutes later. After a long day of work, I just wanted to come back to my room and relax. Instead, I was left in limbo for an hour and a half.

The bar/lounge does not have full food service, just small plates. I found this strange. The onsite fancy restaurant, Shula's, did have full food service at the bar, so that's where I ended up eating. And the bartenders there were very friendly.

Overall, a positive experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear izzytravels

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and our staff members were accommodating. We would love to host your next visit.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 12, 2014

First, the bad, the room was dirty. I saw hairs all over the bedding and in the shower. The wine glasses has lipstick marks on them from another guest. The room was tiny, dated and just doesn't compare to other hotels in the area. I was on the 32 floor, club level and for the value it's just not worth it. Self parking was almost full, only 2 small spaces available so I had no other choice but to valet for a higher cost.

Overall, D rating. Go to the Swissotel across the street for a better experience.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear newcomel

Thank You for sharing your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our product and services. If you would like to discuss further please reach out to me.