“A Great Weekend”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #72 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The staff, the location, the service and the attention to detail all made our weekend spectacular. It was a great weekend in a great city and the Sheraton Hotel and Towers Chicago was the pivot point for all of it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Our group GAWDA has stayed at the hotel before and I am a ex- resident of the area. It is great to come back and stay close to the action. Nice, clean, great service and location to see the city and eat at good establishments ( walking distance)

Room Tip: try to see the Navy Pier and lake
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a conference in April 2004. Overall it was a good hotel, and good for conferences, nice views, but it wasn't entirely without issues.

Personally I found the neighborhood very boring. Traveling to desirable neighborhoods outside was prohibitively time consuming. The hotel itself is on the fringes of downtown, so going anywhere outside the hotel adds an extra five minutes walk to start getting where you're going. Good if you want to shop at major chain stores and department stores on the Magnificent Mile, but those are pretty run of the mill anyway.

Some things were ridiculously overpriced. If you want an egg omelette sent up to your room your looking at somewhere in the vicinity of $34 dollars including extra room service fee (on top of 24 dollar omelette) and mandatory tip. Want a snack or something from the bar fridge? Take a quick look at the price list, if you're willing to sell out 5 bucks for a can of soda, sure. So I went out and bought some snacks and drinks to throw in the fridge only to discover that it's designed so that you can't add anything to it, and if you want to take something out in order to put your own drink in, they'll charge you $25 dollars for the use of the fridge. Wifi? ~ $15 bucks a day. To me, this was all a bit ridiculous.

At the conference I was at, food was considered by many to be unappealing. When I saw it myself, I walked out of the lunch room and headed for Xoco (there are better options within a reasonable walking distance if you have an hour or more for lunch).

Housekeeping service was not ideal. Shower was consistently plugged (ie each night) which if you don't notice will end up leaving a pool of dirty bath water. Odd. Also surfaces were left uncleaned.

Free Lobby WIFI seemed problematic, not sure that I ever successfully connected. I had to go up to my room to use WIFI, and that was consistently a hassle because on ever device and every day, they want to go through a process of paying for WIFI, which I had waived due to conference, but still had to go through the irritating procedure every time. The business hotel for business people who have all the time in the world to sit around fiddling with Sheraton's web login process, apparently.

Sound proofing seemed very bad, could hear everything from other rooms and hallway.

Overall a decent stay but unless I had to go back for a conference I would book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Sounds proofing was bad, so perhaps a room furthest from hall traffic?
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

During our visit in Chicago we stayed here. We were in room 2227 and let me say the view was amazing. We we also had access to the club floor which has a nice we as well. The Sheraton is located perfectly. Walking distance to Navy Pier and numerous must see locations. Their staff is very friendly and willing to assist in anyway.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Recently spent my fourth weekend in four years at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers. This is a very nice upscale hotel located only a few minutes walk from the downtown loop. Over the past four years my wife and I have always found the hotel to be well maintained and most of the staff is friendly. On this trip, one of the reception desk gentlemen was a little surly, which was quite a surprise as I could hear the other personnel as I waited in line and they all sounded happy and friendly. The good includes the fact that Paula at the concierge desk was very helpful, calling a local restaurant and making a reservation for us. When we arrived at the restaurant, we were given a free appetizer that had been provided by Paula. Quite unexpected and we were very appreciative. Now for the bad. When we checked in, I was asked for a credit card. I asked for the reason, since my company had already paid for the room. I was told that it was for "incedentals" in case I used room service or took something from the snack tray, or made a phone call. I had no intention of doing any of these things, but gave my credit card as I was assured that nothing would be charged if I did not avail myself of any incidentals. I happened to look at my bank account on Saturday and found a pending payment to Sheraton for $174.04 which is an amount I still do not know how they computed. I went to the reception desk and was again told that it would not be charged if I did not have any incidentals. I checked out Sunday without incidentals and came home. On Monday, I tried to use my credit card to pay for a purchase online and it was declined. When I looked at my bank account, there was still a pending payment listed. I called both the Sheraton who told me I needed to talk to my bank, and the bank who told me this was standard operating procedure. I put the two in touch with each other and was told that my account would be opened back up by having the pending payment removed as should have been done immediately when I checked out. As of this morning (Tuesday) it still showed as a pending payment and I can still not pay for my purchase online. It is my understanding that this is some sort of banking procedure, but I am still upset with Sheraton for making me use my credit card for incidentals when the room was already paid in advance. If I had know the trouble that this would cause, I would have given them $100 cash that they would have returned when I left. I have learned my lesson and will never allow a hotel to use my credit card for "incidentals" again. Interestingly enough, I had just replied to the hotel website with a very positive review when I discovered this whole credit card problem. Other than this hiccup, the hotel is very nice.

Room Tip: We had a very nice room on the side facing away from the river. It was a corner room with an excell...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Trophywifeshusband
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The hotel is nicely remodeled. The staff was great. I was at a conference with my 4 kids and everyone at the hotel was very helpful. Its is hard to be a single woman traveling and the Sheraton made it easier.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The room was great. Best night sleep I have had in a long time. The room was clean and comfortable. Great location. Walking distance to shopping and Navy Pier. Kids loved the pool and staff was very helpful with giving directions to areas we wanted to visit.

Room Tip: Any room would be a good choice
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family