“Great fitness center and good location.”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #67 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbus, OH
“Great fitness center and good location.”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is a pretty typical Sheraton with a huge lobby and bar area. The fitness center is excellent. It overlooks the river and has cardio machines, weight machines, free weights, mats, medicine balls, balance balls and resistance bands. Outside on the patio, there are stationary bikes one can ride and look at the river and the lake. There's a decent sized indoor pool, but no hot tub.
Our room was comfortable with a few minor frustrations; the bedside lamp is turned on and off by pushing in a button which tended to just push the lamp away. It took time to master being able to turn off the lamp without having to use two hands. Additionally, there was the usual $18 charge for internet in the room, which always bothers me. Finally, on the bureau was an attached, electronic tray that took up a lot of room which had food in it. I picked up a bottle of water to see what the price was and then I was automatically billed for the water (which they removed from my bill). There was a sign saying not to pick things up, but one would only see that sign, if one crouched down and looked carefully.

I had called and asked the hotel in advance if I could use the mini-fridge for my own drinks and I was told yes. However, there were huge signs saying you would be charged if you moved anything in the fridge or used it for your own stuff. I really dislike those electronic mini-fridges. I never pay for their food, yet I can't use it for mine.

I could elect to have no maid service and receive extra Starwoods points. I did that, which was nice as I usually don't care about maid service. However, there's only one hook to hang towels; if one is going to encourage people to re-use towels, it would be good to have more places to hang them.

I was delighted to see that there was a can for recycling in the room.

There was a coffee maker that takes pods; however, the coffee and tea left in the room weren't pods.

The parking garage is attached to the hotel and is abut $40-60 (depending on whether one uses valet or self) per day which is pretty usual for Chicago downtown.

The hotel is in a great location. It's close to the river boat tours and to shopping. It's 1/2 a mile from a subway station and when it's warm, it's great for walking by the river.

1 Thank summercruiser
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We apologize if there was any confusion that made your stay challenging. If you would like to address anything further, please feel free to call me at 312-329-6995. Thank you very much.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,367)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed October 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Hotel is in a great location that is close to many great attractions. Hotel staff was courteous and helpful. Room was unique and well appointed. Club lounge is great for coffee and a quick bite to eat. I would highly recommend this hotel for families and business travelers.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing such compliments. I'm elated to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and can't wait to welcome you back with the same great service again soon! Safe travels!
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We checked in on a Friday afternoon. The parking is $50 per day for self-park and while the sign said it was full it was not. Then, after lugging luggage and other junk into the lobby the check-in process was VERY SLOW. At one point I was called up to the Reception counter only to be turned away for a more important guest which was completely annoying. The Concierge was completely rude to us and a Bellman snarled at me when I inquired about an ATM and then grabbed my son and hit him on the back with rolled up papers (weird) -no reason to touch my 7 year old. Also, the pool is freezing and there is no hot tub. The room was tiny. I have stayed in the hotel before for a conference and won't go back unless required to for the conference.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
1 Thank tmjkblocker
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We apologize if there was any confusion and you didn't have a positive experience with your family. If you would like to address anything further, please feel free to call me at 312-329-6995 so we can rectify our relationship. Thank you very much.
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our stay was wonderful and the hotel was close for my daughter to run the marathon. We also love the Club Lounge. Our Host Connie was very pleasant and the food was good. Also, the morning crew was wonderful but we did not get their names. This was our second time here and if my daughter runs the marathon for a third time, we will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Congrats on your daughter running the marathon, that's amazing! We genuinely appreciate your business and would love to host you in the future for the marathon or any other Windy City getaway. Cheers!
Pisa, Italy
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Very confortable for both business and tourism. Ms De Felice at the concierge has been tremendously helpful. Wonderful view from the room. Perfectly positioned. Rooms are clean and service is very good in general.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing such compliments. We can't wait to welcome you back with the same great service again soon! Safe travels!
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have stayed here a few times on business and on vacation, along with staying here once for a conference. One of the few SPG properties in Chicago I have gotten a suite upgrade as a Platinum, usually a living room with a joined hotel room.

Also for Platinums, there is also a club lounge that has a decent breakfast spread in the morning and good appetizers late afternoon. It is open 24 hours a day, so you can pick up water and soda when you need it. There are also great views of the river and the city from the lounge.

Overall a great property in a great location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucked in between Navy Pier, shopping and Millennium Park is something we're very proud to offer our guests and I'm so happy you were able to enjoy our central location! Thank you for your business and we hope to host you again soon. Safe travels!
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I (and now our 1 year old son) love this hotel for its friendly staff, spacious rooms with very comfortable luxurious beds, and large open public areas (with views of the Chicago river). Our executive suite room on the 25th floor had an amazing view of both sailboats in the river and Navy Pier area. The breakfast in the club room was just right for my wife and son while I was running the Chicago marathon. A Dominicks market and variety of restaurants are an easy walk down the street (we enjoyed the D4 irish pub and Yolk for dinner and breakfast this trip). Even with a full hotel for the marathon, the public areas did not feel cramped at all. There was plenty of room in the indoor pool for my son and I. The staff at the front desk and on the phone were all very courteous and quick to help with our crib and fridge requests.

1 Thank Ed G
So happy you were able to enjoy our central location during such a special weekend here in the Windy City! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, or at least for next years marathon. Cheers!