“Awesome Hotel Experience”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #72 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stay in Chicago several times a year and the Sheraton is our "go to" destination. A great location with terrific views. Most importantly, the staff is wonderful, the rooms are beautiful and the beds are really comfortable. I have stayed in hotels around the world and the Sheraton is one of the best. We will be returning!

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

It was a pleasure to host you and thank you for taking the time to share your review. Come back and see us again soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Lovely location on the river. Feels a little like San Antonio in the shadow of the Wrigley building and Trump tower. It looks like the hotel rooms have been refreshed but they are not very exciting looking.The bed is very comfortable like a Sheraton Bed.

There is wireless in the rooms but you have to pay for it. It is free in the lobby and there is lots of seating to work and mingle with other guest. I wasn't told on check in but there are two sets of elevators. One for the lower floors and the other for the higher floors. Just note the burger place closes early at 7pm but you can eat on the river walk

The other hotel restaurant is a little pricey and the food is not very good.

What was lacking:

Upon check in I wasn't given much information about the hotel, In the room there is a newsletter type publication for room service but there wasn't any information about the hotel...location of fitness center, business center restaurants...
Limited choices for room service
trays are left in the halls until the next day even if you call to pick up.
If staying for the week there is not an option to pay for internet more than one day
Not an outlet near the bed for working with a lap top
Hotel food mediocre but pricey
Staff inconsistent... was mixed...upon check in no eye contact, no info, going through the motion
Some staff was very helpful and polite. Concierge was mixed...one was very helpful for dinner the other seemed to go through the motions.
Internet in business center was slooooooow. It took 15mins just to print a boarding pass because it couldn't connect to the website.
Not sure if there is a gift shop

What was good:

the Bed was cooommfy!
location is near Michigan Ave and a short walk from the park
On the river
The conference rooms were a comfortable temperature
Love the lobby where you can sit and work at a table or on the chairs
Elevators were quick
Quiet not on a busy street
They were accommodating with a request I had.
it was fairly quiet on the upper floors.

The price through the week was a little high but the weekend price was very reasonable.
I opted for the "Green" service which means no service in exchange for points but I noticed that someone came in the room any way...they moved the cord for the iron.

Walk up to Michigan and visit the Chicago Tribune building. Look closely at the artifacts from around the world implanted in the walls of the building. The architect river tours are also near by.
Over all I feel a little mixed about the hotel but it was decent and I had a good rest.

Room Tip: On the river side or Michigan ave side less noise. High floors
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank atina1

I sincerely apologize for any disappointment. That is not at all the Sheraton way, so at your earliest convenience I would love the chance to speak with you so that we can repair our relationship and welcome you back to experience what we do stand for. I can be reached at 312-329-6995 and look forward to chatting with you.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I went with my wife on a business trip. The room was rather worn and dated. Unless you really tightened the hot water handle in the sink, it would turn itself back on.... And not just a trickle, more like a significant stream of water... Possibly as much as a gallon per minute. The bathroom floor had some small cracks. The safe is tiny. The closet doors don't stay open unless you prop them open. The staff was the best part of our stay. We were there Tuesday through Sunday, and it was pretty expensive - over $300 a night when you count tax. I saw a sign that said 24 hour parking was $49!!!! Also, if you want to stream movies to your tablet or computer, it is $17.95 a day, unless you join the Starwood club.

Thankfully we only had to pay for one night as the rest was paid for by my wife's employer. Also, food at the restaurants was lacking in quality for the price, but we did not eat at Shula's Steakhouse.

It is a few blocks to Navy Pier, and a few blocks to the magnificent mile.

Oh, and not really the hotel's fault, but there is a ton of construction noise, and lots of sirens. I could hear it all from room 1138.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

I sincerely apologize for the confusion and disappointment during your recent stay with us. That is not at all the Sheraton way, so at your earliest convenience I would love the chance to speak with you so that we can repair our relationship and welcome you back to experience what we do stand for. I can be reached at 312-329-6995 and look forward to chatting with you.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Enjoyed my weekend stay from the moment I checked in. The staff was great and catered to my every need and the facility is first rate with great sized rooms and ulta comfortable beds to insure a great nights sleep. I also was able to enjoy great views as the hotel is on the river just as it flows into the lake yet is only blocks from great shopping and fantastic restaurtants.

Room Tip: Become a Starwoods Preferred Guest member. Always get great upgrades atthe Sheraton.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for sharing such compliments. I'm elated to hear you have enjoyed each experience with us and can't wait to welcome you back with the same great service again soon! Safe travels!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My stay at the Sheraton Chicago left a few things to be desired. It just didn't live up to the expectations of the property and amenities. Housekeeping services were hit and miss. One day 2 bath towels another day 3, for example. I wish housekeeping would pay attention to dirty glasses and ice buckets! And also refrain from moving and touching our things! Hi-lights of our stay were the excellent concierge services and Isaah at the front desk. The Riverwalk area was nice. There weren't too many close-by restaurants. We were discouraged from taking a cab to the Navy Pier as it was within walking distance. Maybe for some, but not for everyone! Seems cabs prefer to go the airports.

This was my first visit to Chicago outside of the airport. Loved the city...would choose a different hotel for a return trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

I sincerely apologize for any disappointments during your stay as we strive to make each stay enjoyable and exceed expectations. Should you want to address anything further, I can be reached at 312-329-6995. I look forward to chatting with you.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

After a horrifying experience at the Hotel Sax, I checked out of my room at 10pm and came over to the Sheraton for the BlogHer conference and had an unbelievably great experience. Clean, well lit, amazing service, great amenities, I can't rave about it enough!!

Room Tip: It seems like every room is great. I attended some parties in suites while I was there and it was a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing such compliments, we were thrilled to host you during your conference and can't wait to welcome you back with the same great service again soon! Safe travels!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Wonderful accommodations and a terrific staff throughout the hotel. Very clean rooms and a great view of the River and in the distance Lake Michigan. Very convenient location . . . easy to navigate downtown Chicago. Valet parking a bit pricey, but it is downtown Chicago! You could come and go as you please, and there was very little wait to get our vehicle. Very pleasant stay will definitely return!

Room Tip: We had a room on the 31st floor river view! AWESOME!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your business! We are looking forward to hosting you again very soon and keeping our excellent standard you've awarded us! Cheers!