“Not for Families”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #77 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I wanted to love this hotel. We stayed 3 nights Marh 30-April 2. Unfortunetly the bad out weighed the good. I traveled with my husband and 2 sons ages 2 and 6 for a little winter break get away. First the good. Great location! Tonia at the front desk was great! Super nice to my kids, and even tho our room was NOT ready (at 5;00 pm )she found away to get us another room right away. Concerge was very helpful! Building is nice, fresh flowers in the lobby and Shulas steak house right when you walk in. We stayed on the 31st floor great city/ river view! Beds are comfortable, my husband loved the pillows!
Now the bad. We upgraded to the club level, rooms are so small. Tried to upgrade to a suite or somthing bigger but there was nothing available. Understandable being spring break, but still very disapointed in room size. When we arrived we headed up to the Club lounge for evening apps. Wow! The lady working that evening March 30 was the rudest person I've ever met! She yelled at my 2 year old son twice in front of other guests! All the tables around us stared at her. My kids are very well behaved and her behavior was shocking to me and the other guest. Clearly children are not wanted in the club lounge no matter how well behaved they are. I did not get her name (no name tag, black hair) but we did not return again for evening orderve's because of her. They should not offer that service to familys with that kind of service. I should have complained then and there.
On the first night we ordered room service after the kids went to bed. The cheese burger we ordered medium/well was burnt to a crisp. I can't beleive they sent it up that way! What a joke. Needless to say we never order room service again.
Now the pool and Gym! Gym is amazing lots of equipment and great veiws! The pool!! Freezing, freezing, freezing!! I've been in cold pools, but this was unexceptable! Why even have a pool if its that cold. And to make matters worse there where no towels for over 2 hours (we we're told by other unhappy guests). I called guest services and the rude lady on the other end informed me that she knew this and had already received 5 or 6 calls. We never seen the towels, put our clothes on over our freezing wet suits and went back to our room misreable! Never went back to the pool. This was a HUGE disapointment because all my kids wanted to do was swim on this vacation. We actually considered getting a room at another hotel just so they could swim in a warm pool.
Now to top this all off, the last day my son was not feeling well. We had a 5:00 train and had planned to check out and hit the town for lunch, but then my son got sick. I called down to the front desk and explained that my son was puking and I needed a late check out. I was told that I had until 1pm. I explained that I needed somthing later that he was very ill. She told me she had nothing available. I said I would pay anything that he could not leave yet. She said we had till 4:00pm and the cost was $75. I get that the $75 is probably hotel policy, but acting like you have nothing available to a desperate mother until you offer to pay is unexceptable!!
We won't stay here again. Very disappointed. I usually love Starwood propertys and always choose a W, Westin or Sheraton first. Not the Sheraton Chicago! I get it's a busy city but service is service. They have all the amenities pool, club lounge, late check out, room service, but you can't use any of them! Shame on you Sheraton! Never again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Vbjexpress
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

I sincerely apologize for any disappointments during your stay as we strive to make each stay enjoyable and exceed expectations and I hope your son is feeling better. I have shared your feedback with the applicable teams to ensure those errors are not done in the future and am so sorry for your challenges. I would love the chance to repair our relationship and show you the true Sheraton Chicago way. I can be reached at 312-329-6995. I look forward to chatting with you and again, my apologies.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,164)

Reviewed April 3, 2013

WE got there Sunday-took a walk down to Navy Pier which was nice!! We were upgraded to club level for $30 a day. Well worth it-we had a cont breakfast-which was great!! Coffee/Tea/juices/soda/water...fruit...toast...hardboiled eggs..yogurt...pastries etc. Well worth the $$ for a famliy of 4. Never had to wait for a seat or in a line. Then they had hor doerves from 5p-8p and cookies at 8p-10p! When we checked in our room was extremely HOT!! Very loud that night too-we called maintainence the next day-turns out the window wasn't locked all the way-so we had heard a ton of street noise, sirens etc. We left our window open for 6 hrs-cooled down to only 75!! We were on the 31st floor-nice view-south side-got to see the river and the Lake. The ice machine on our floor was busted-had to go down a floor to get ice :( Bed were comfortable. Chipping paint on bathroom door-hair in sink-and some socks were left behind from previous people. Went to pool the next day after Shedd-it was FREEZING-supposed to be heated-no it was not!! And it would've been nice if when we checked out-someone just asked"How was your stay?" Just sayin'

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback and thank you for your business. I am so happy to hear you could enjoy our newly renovated Club Lounge. I also appreciate your feedback on where we could improve and will review with my team. I look forward to welcoming you back soon, please let me know if there is anything specific we can do to make your next stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed on the club level floor, had a room facing north on the 33rd floor. We were at first given a room with a view of the river, in a corner room that felt very small. The room we ended up getting was on the 31st floor, facing north, had almost no view, but it was way larger than the first one. The room change process was not the smoothest, but it all worked out in the end. The rooms are nice, but pretty old; the bed was extremely comfortable. I personally feel that it is not worth it to upgrade to the club level at this hotel. The lines are huge and they run out of everything very early. During our three days there, we never ate at the club as the perspective of waiting in line and then waiting again for a table to open up was not very appealing.
They seem to have a problem with the key readers, we had to change our key twice and people at the front desk kept saying that it was because we kept them next to our cell phones, but the readers on the doors look like they are from the the '60s, so maybe that is another thing to look into.
The treadmills at the gym were extremely dirty, no wipes to clean them up, the cable on the ones that had tvs was not working etc. We didn't use the pool as it was always packed. Nice views everywhere in the gym, though.

The location is convenient, close to North Michigan, the Millenium Park area and public transportation. There is an excellent grocery store/cafe nearby, Fox&Obel; for the coffee aficionado(a), Intelligentsia on Randolph is within walking distance

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

I sincerely apologize for any disappointments during your stay as we strive to make each stay enjoyable and exceed expectations. Should you want to addresss anything further, I can be reached at 312-329-6995. I look forward to potentially chatting with you. Safe travels!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The PROS: VERY comfortable beds and pillows! Possibly the best I've ever experienced in any hotel! Also, fast elevators - which is good because this is a big place and gets CROWDED. Rooms were clean and not too much wear and tear on the hotel.

BE CAREFUL: We booked two rooms through a reputable internet Hotel booking site that I often used. The hotel LOST one of the reservations. Fortunately, I spotted it a day before I arrived and the booking site was able to pressure the hotel into making our room available.

The CONS: Nickel and dime, nickel and dime. You need to get a good rate... we paid an average of $100 per night for 4 nights, (not including taxes = 16%)... which is excellent, I think. You'll need it because you pay for everything else.

Garage is over $50 per day, internet in room starts at $15 per 24 hours, and don't even think of putting anything in the room fridge. The fridge is filled with sodas and juices ($5-6) and those little bottles of brand alcohol, ie: Dewars Scotch = $11! (and much smaller than the amount you would get in a real drink in a bar). If you take out the drinks and put in your own food, they will try to charge you $25 per day. And you can forget trying to squeeze anything in there, between their bottles. Not even a sandwich or a yogurt will fit.

We did not have a long check-in at 3 pm, but usually there is a long line. Make sure you carefully review your bill at check out. They have been known to overcharge.

LOCATION - depends on what you like. Centrally located and we loved being on the River. But 15 minute walk to the "L" trains or subway. Great supermarket, "Dominicks," two blocks away, if you need fresh food or supplies. They may come in handy too because eating in the hotel restaurant for breakfast is EXPENSIVE. $19 omelets? You bet! You'd better be wealthy if you have 2 or 3 kids with you. Better to find a breakfast joint outside... but you will have to walk at least 10 minutes.

Bottom line: Nothing memorable or original here - a chain is a chain is a chain. Just sleep there, go out for everything else and enjoy the great Windy City.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

First off, thank you for your business and I'm happy to hear that you slept well and enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed amenities. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience from a billing perspective. While we do not own our parking so have no control over those fees and try to keep things in line with the market prices, I do apologize if this caused any additional stress during your trip. If you would like at your earliest convenience I would love the chance to speak with you so that we can repair our relationship. I can be reached at 312-329-6995 and look forward to chatting with you. Safe travels!

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Everything met my expectations with this hotel. The only few complaints I have were that the pool was small and not useable 2 of the 4 days we were there. Fortunately we were there to explore and not swim all day long. #2 issue was that there is absolute no parking nearby so trying to check in and deal with putting the car in the parking space we had previously reserved was a bit if a hassle.
Overall I would recommend it because the location is really close to Navy Pier, a grocery/ drug store, and many other things.

• Stayed: March 2013
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing. I also appreciate you sharing your feedback and please know I will be reviewing this with our applicable teams. I hope we have the chance to host you and your family again soon.
Safe travels!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

If you are on business in the windy city or there for a romantic get away, I highly recommend this hotel. the location is great, the staff is very knowledgeable of the area and willing to make great dinning recommendations.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for sharing such compliments. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. Thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel is old, especially the rooms and the bathroom. We moved a bed to acomodate our child and the rug was very dusty.
Breakfast in the room was awful and pricey. The Restaurant Shula's is good but too expensive for this hotel.
Location is good but not great.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for sharing. Please know we are in the process of renovating all our guestrooms to ensure that your experience with us is elevated. I also appreciate you sharing your feedback regarding our breakfast pricing and while we do ensure to stay in line with the market prices, I will be reviewing this with our applicable team. I hope we have the chance to host you and your family again soon.
Safe travels!