“Superior hotel off Magnificent Mile”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #70 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel and booked 4 nights.
I must say I did not what to expect, as Sheraton properties really vary a lot.
I arrived on Sunday 24th March and even if the streets of downtown were deserted, the hotel was very full. The lobby is impresive and the common areas very nice indeed. Also liked the florr in a breakfast restaurant (did not use it) and the Link by Sheraton which is really a big plus.
I was staying on club floor in a corner room, and was very happy with it. Overlooking the Navy Pier and the lake. The bed was great, Tv very good, and the furniture and ambience interesting. Nothing special, but nice modern touch. The bathroom was basic, but still acceptable. I am really grateful for a corner room, as it was very quiet and nothing could be heard from outside. However the closet was tiny and only suitable for some shirts and a bag pack. I think it was because of the special layout of the room, as other rooms have bigger spaces. Also the strange safe incorporated into the wall with a key..have not seen anything like this. It seems more late 70-ies.
I was also suprised about the ugly room doors and the gap between them and the floor. You could hear who was inside doing what every time you passed by. Definitely not much privacy. It is common practice specially in USA hotels, which really bothers me.
This hotel was one of the best Sheratons for the moment but being so large it is impossible to have a personal touch. I was missing a little better service from the staff who was just corteous, but nothing more. They only helped what asked for.
The hotel was not so clean as others wrote. There were dirty plates outside on the hallway of the 31st floor for 3 days and also used cups on the tables next to the elevators. The carpet there was really dirty with kind of balls of hair...no vacuum cleaning for weeks!
I was surprised that all the staff that passed over there did not clean it, even if it was not their work!
I had a problem with Green choice which I set up when booked and also at check it. I kept receiving the notes beneth my door that I am "not entitled for that service the last day of my stay". Of course it was not true. I spoke to the front desk about this and other stuff but they did check the computer but all stayed the same. It seems no records on customers...
The main problem with my stay was children everywhere. Of course they are children and have the right to go to the hotel, but their behaivour was not acceptable. The parents are to blame, as they really did everything what they wanted without beeing supervised. Shouting, chasing each other, climbing the sofas, and playing with their shoes on, on the chairs. They were alone riding elevators in bathing suits, coming into the lounge bare foot and playing with food. They were in the pool at all times, and playing games at the Link computers.
How could you possibly enjoy such a caos? The hotel management should seriously advise those who do not behave properly.
But overall nice hotel, in a nice area and well presented and for the price paid I cannot complain.
Would stay here again, but as there are so many better hotels nearby, why?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Ludwig70
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback and please know I will share your thoughts with the applicable teams to ensure we improve our service and experiences of our guests. I look forward to having the opportunity to host you again soon and should you want to discuss anything further, please call me at 312-329-6995.

Safe travels.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grand Chicago

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed on Tuesday night, march 24 2013. We went to the pool around 715m and it crowded. We called the front desk asking what time it opens in the morning. They said 530am. We said ok, we go to the pool in the morning with our 2 kids(5.8) and the pool was closed for cleaning. They were heart broken! When talking about our trip to Chicago, had a greAt time, but did NOT to swim at the Sheraton. Very poor customer service!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

I sincerely apologize for any disappointments during your stay as we strive to make each stay enjoyable and exceed expectations. Should you want to addresss anything further, I would love to speak with you and can be reached at 312-329-6995. I look forward to chatting with you and repairing our relationship.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Fantastic view, beds were great, staff was very helpful, location amazing! Hotel was very busy but the room was very quiet. Great shower! Price was very reasonable for Chicago. Will return as soon as possible for another great experience.

Room Tip: Perfect location on River for St. Patrick celebration and general city access. Beautiful clean room...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing such positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon! Safe travels!

Where to begin??

We have tried on 4 occassions now to speak to someone in the accounting department regarding an issue we had to no avail. To be honest the service in this hotel is an an absolute disgrace.

We stayed in the hotel from Friday 15th March to Monday 18th of March.

I called the hotel on Friday March 15th and pre paid for a bottle of champagne to be delivered to the room as a surprise for my girlfriend and to be there when we arrived. The champagne was not in the room.

We called reception from the room to enquire where the champagne was, which we were then given an apology and reassured that the champagne was on the way. 45 minutes later, the champagne had still not arrived.

We discussed this with front desk, who again apologized, and told us that she would raise the issue to her manager and we could have complimentary wifi for the duration of our stay as a good will gesture. We told her at this point we did not want the champagne, as we did not have time for the duration of our stay to drink it and we wanted it cancelled. She cancelled it and confirmed my boyfriends credit card would be reimbursed.

When we arrived back to the hotel around 12 midnight that night, the champagne was in the room.

We did not drink it as explained above - it was supposed to be a surprise and the surprise was now ruined.

We raised the issue again with reception on Sunday 17th March, and it was explained that we would be reimbursed for the champagne but we could keep the bottle. Same was discussed on check out on Monday March 18th, again it was reaffirmed we would be reimbursed.

It is now Wednesday 27th March and I still have not been reimbursed for the champagne.

The less said about the patheic excuse for a breakfast in the "Club Lounge" the better.

I use tripadvisor all the time but this is the first time I have felt the need to write a review. I have rarely witnessed such poor customer service in a hotel. It seems all this hotel is interested in is extracting as much money as possible from its guests.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I sincerely apologize for the confusion from a billing perspective and at your earliest convenience I would love the chance to speak with you so that we can repair our relationship and ensure all billing discrepancies have been rectified. I can be reached at 312-329-6995 and look forward to chatting with you.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Not every quality hotel appreciates children as guests, but everyone from the front desk, the maid service, and the restaurant staff were friendly and accommodating. The pool was a particular draw for us and the quick (and relatively inexpensive) cab ride to the Shed Aquarium and Field Museum, not to mention proximity to Navy Peer, made it an ideal location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your spring break adventures with us and I'm so happy to hear that you and your family had such a great time and were able to experience our location in the heart of the city. Please come back and see us again soon as we would love to host you and your seven year old! Safe travels!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have stayed at the Sheraton Chicago twicw in the past 6 months. The service and amenities are second to none! The rooms are very clean and spacious. The food and service was awesome. I will never stay anywhere else when I go to Chicago!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for sharing such compliments. I'm elated to hear you have enjoyed each experience with us and can't wait to welcome you back with the same great service again soon! Safe travels!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Solid Staff, great location, only thing holding me back on a 4 star rating is being in a room that hadn't been updated like other floors and some decent grime in the shower tiles that was easily removed with a finger scrub

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

So happy to hear you enjoyed our staff and location. I sincerely apologize for any other disappointments during your stay as we strive to make each stay enjoyable and exceed expectations. Should you want to addresss anything further, I can be reached at 312-329-6995. Thank you for your business.