“Has some good points, but ....”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #67 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cindy Price
“Has some good points, but ....”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I apologize in advance for this being long, but if you are reading this you are traveler trying to make a decision, and I want to share some honest words to help you with that. First, let me tell you about the pros of this hotel:

PROS: It is pretty and has a GREAT location. Beds are so comfy!! Quiet hotel. NICE view. Great little restaurant for breakfast on one of the lower levels.

Now, for the rest. It will be a mix of general info and cons, sad to say. Here goes. I was traveling with my two kids, ages 15 and 20. We live in a southwest suburb of Chicago and took the Metra train in then a cab to the hotel. We were there for the Cubs Convention. We got there at about 6 p.m. My daughter had school, so, unfortunately we could not get there any earlier and missed opening ceremonies. The wait was short, nothing to even mention, at check-in. YES, it was CRAZY there.... pretty much a full house for the convention. I had booked the rooms via a package the minute it went on sale in mid-September. I was ADAMANT that I have two double beds, and was told no problem at all. Traveling with my two kids (boy and girl) we just can't "do" one bed, it doesn't work. I called back the week before to check and make sure we were good, and checked again that we would have two double beds. I was told YES, for sure, no problem. It is that big of a deal for us so I always lock this in. I asked to get a printout of this and was e-mailed information that showed we had two double beds. Guess what happened? When we got to chck-in we were told "Sorry, we don't have any double beds left." ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? I repeated the story of why we need the two beds. I was offered two rollaways for free and an option to POSSIBLY move for the second night... after about 15 minutes of talking about it to the young man at check in. I was devastated. I did everything I could to prevent this from happening and it happened anyway! He said they were oversold by 20 doubles! What? Come on, Sheraton, don't do that! He said there was NOTHING they could do about it. So as I am standing there discussing this with the young man, a guy about my age comes up to the check-in area immediately next to me. He proceeds to give his info and is told he WILL have a double!!! WHAT? I mention it to the guy I am talking to and he says, "Wait, he will be telling him we don't have any available like I told you." I waited, and NOPE! He got a double! He had no special notes on the account or reason for having a double over me. Nothing. What am I supposed to take away from that? It made an already bad situation that much worse. In passing, the young man at the desk offered free breakfast vouchers for the first night. I almost let it go, but figured WHY? He wasn't going to give them to me but I reminded him what he said then he gave them to me.

We get up to our room, and they bring us ONE roll-away, not two. The man that brought the bed was VERY nice and offered us more towels and toiletries without asking. However no pillows came with the bed so we had to call for those later.

Next we go to the pre-stocked fridge. There were two BROWN oranges juices in there. Remember, it is 2013. These expired in April 2012. Turns out most of the beverages in there were expired. Gross! And Sheraton people, if you read this, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS! What if someone can't read the expiration date and drinks it and gets sick???? Hopefully they would know orange juice isn't brown! And over the course of the weekend I heard others say they also had expired beverages in their fridge. And at $4 for a can of pop, you could at least expect it to NOT be expired, right?

Friday night we decided we wanted to try some pizza from the area. I called the front desk about places that delivered and was transfered to the concierge. They said to come down for a paper with info on it and hung up. Nice! Not very warm and fuzzy service. I had my son run down, which was no small feat in a hotel that was crazy busy. I will also mention here that the rooms came with little or no info on ANYTHING about the hotel or surrounding areas.

One thing that also was gross was the drainage issue in the bathroom. I took a shower and had water past my ankles the entire time with the drain as far open as it could be, then it took 10 minutes for it to drain afterward. That is just one of "my things" .... standing in water like that.... goes back to my college days of shared shower floors... just icky to me! If you will allow me to skip ahead for a second, I will say the room we ended up getting moved to for the second night did NOT have that issue in the bath ... water could NOT have drained better... WHEW! I made up for my quick shower the first night by taking a NICE long one the second!! :)

After a long day at Cubs events Saturday, we went up to our room at about 4. No news on a room switch. I called downstairs (even though I was told we would be called on my cell). They said they were working on it, even though I doubt they remembered from the sound of things. We were being moved from our current single-bed room on the 18th floor to a double bed room on the 10th floor. They said I had to come downstairs and get new keys and show an ID. Then go back up to my room, bring our bags all the way down and go back up in the other set of elevators. What a pain!!! We did this, but it really threw a wrench in our plans for the night.

Checkout went well, except I, and many others I talked to Sunday morning, weren't really sure if we were good to go for checkout or still needed to stop by the front desk (we had a paper slipped under our door about our charges). Again, as stated above, information was hard to come by at this hotel. So were garbage cans in the public areas!!!

Overall, the people who work there were pleasant. And YES, some of this could have been due to a big convention being there. That being said, if you have the room and facility for that many, you should be ready to handle it. I doubt I'd ever stay here again. I can let one thing go, but not all of the things that happened. I kind of hope they don't have the convention there next year so I don't have to make that decision.

Anyway, this is all the honest truth, and I hope it helps you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cici23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,367)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Granger, Indiana
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Though I did not stay at the hotel for the convention, I was impressed with the hotel staff and facilities during the time of the convention. The public areas of the hotel were spacious and well-maintained considering the large crowds for the event. The hotel staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. The concierges on duty when I attended the convention were knowledgeable and very willing to answer all questions even though I was not a hotel guest. One even provided me with a free dessert coupon for my lunch restaurant! Very thoughtful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your attendance at the recent Cubs convention at our hotel. It was honestly a pleasure to host such a pivotal part of Chicago heritage! It's great to hear our team was informative for all your needs and you were able to enjoy a sweet treat on us as well. Come back and see us soon and hopefully next time we'll have the privilege to host you as well. GO CUBS!
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I went to Chicago for a meeting and i stayed at Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers , the hotel is well-located and convenient to get around other places such as Navy pier, Michigan Ave, etc. The room was clean and comfortable, staffs generally provided me with good services. I remembered when my TV was out of order and they immediately sent some technician to fix it up, the person was generally friendly and polite. When i require a wake-up call, the staff came up to the room to knock on my door in case i overslept. The counter staff bother to offer the choice to upgrade my room since there are availability. The room i stayed has a nice view, it has a magnificent unblocked view of the river. I would recommend it to someone who are on a business trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Great location and service. Your review title reflects our core pillars of focus at the Sheraton Chicago and it makes me very happy you experienced both! If you loved our location during your recent visit, I invite you to come back during the summer as well when even more attractions and activities are available from our downtown Chicago hotel. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Chicago and thank you again for your kind remarks.
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My third stay at this hotel and it has retained its great service. Part of a group of hundreds and impressed with the rapid check-in and the logistics of handling that many people for almost one week. On check-in there was some confusion about my room preference and it was resolved immediately. Ended up with a room with two windows and a fantastic view of Chicago and the river. So many things in walking distance including grocery store, wine store, great sushi restaurant straight down the street from the front door. Fast internet service. Comfortable room and good food at all conference meals. While in Chicago I always visit Shaw's, Roys's and this time added the sushi restaurant and Smith and Wollisky. All walkable and great. The only negative I experienced was the hot water in the shower. It takes a few minutes to warm up so go ahead and turn the water on and don't expect to get in immediately.

Room Tip: although the rooms are smaller in the lower numbers, 01-05, the views are great
1 Thank sometrip
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Many thanks for your kind remarks. I'm so happy you explored the local area around our hotel as we agree everything you need is steps away. In addition to experiencing a convenient location, speedy check-ins and friendly service are important to our staff so you can have an enjoyable time as possible while in Chicago. Make sure to come see us a fourth time real soon and our Concierge can offer more delicious dining options nearby!
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I am typically unimpressed with most Sheraton hotels, generally, but the beauty of this Chicago Sheraton was impressive! The lobby and all the public spaces are very modern, grand/spacious, and beautiful. I got to stay in a recently renovated double room on a high floor that had comfortable beds, new built-in headboards and furnishings (such as dressers and tv stands) and an overall quality I would expect more of a Westin (Sheraton's Starwood brother hotel) rather than at a Sheraton. I also ate at the brunch buffet, which had good food and a decent selection. The hotel also seemed to have a very nice, upscale bar and decent conference facilities. This was a very good hotel, but Chicago does tend to have much better downtown hotels than most other American cities, I did have one major issue at the hotel with the plumbing in my room, however. The toilet kept making a running sound and would not flush on three occasions. Each time that happened, however, the front desk was very responsive with sending someone up to fix it. However, I would have rather had one permanent fix rather than the inconvenience of multiple temporary fixes. Hopefully they have fixed that in the room, permanently. The hotel was gracious and did end up giving us a $50 credit on our bill for the inconvenience. The other small complaint I had was that I did not feel the room was as well-stocked with toiletries as I would have liked, and I think that better hotels should have a body wash rather than a body bar. I did end up getting more toiletries from the front desk, however, and this was a very small thing. That alone made me realize I was staying at a Sheraton rather than a Westin.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay with us, it's great to hear you enjoyed our newly-renovated hotel as we've strived to make our hotel as comfortable as possible. Thank you for also informing us of any opportunities where we could make our hospitality even better as customer feedback is very important to us. Hopefully now you'll continue staying with Sheraton and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Chicago as well.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just returned from a company sales event. In talking with fellow employees it seems that not all the rooms have been updated. Mine was great - great bed, TV, view, bathroom. Others seemed ready for a make-over. I suggest when checking in (at the beautiful lobby) you ask for an upgraded room. I was not a VIP or anything so the upgrades seem available to all.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room at check-in
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
We hope you enjoyed your sales conference here at the Sheraton Chicago and I'm pleased to hear that your accommodations and view of the city were comfortable during your travels from Atlanta. As you mentioned, we are in the process of completing the renovation to our guestrooms, including Club Level rooms so we will continue to offer extra comfortable stays on your next trip to the Windy City!
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights for a conference in the hotel. My room was on kind of a corner-so it seemed chilly, even with the heat on. Evidently they were having issues with the heat. My room was quiet and clean. No issues with wi-fi. Location was great. I did not use the gym-my gym had a location 1 block over so I went there. There is a movie theater and a couple of markets across the street.

Lots of restaurants and shopping close by. But it did seem like the hotel did not have very many of their restaurants open.

I did not have a bad experience, but several of my co-workers had their phones ring several times during the night-there was some sort of glitch with the programming. I had a shuttle, but FYI parking is $45 night for self-park.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Hello David & Kim,

Just wanted to assure you that any issues throughout your conference at our hotel have been completely rectified and we look forward to having you return to our hotel for your next conference.

Take Care.