“Really Impressed with the Renovated Rooms & Public Spaces” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #55 of 184 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“Really Impressed with the Renovated Rooms & Public Spaces”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I am typically unimpressed with most Sheraton hotels, generally, but the beauty of this Chicago Sheraton was impressive! The lobby and all the public spaces are very modern, grand/spacious, and beautiful. I got to stay in a recently renovated double room on a high floor that had comfortable beds, new built-in headboards and furnishings (such as dressers and tv stands) and an overall quality I would expect more of a Westin (Sheraton's Starwood brother hotel) rather than at a Sheraton. I also ate at the brunch buffet, which had good food and a decent selection. The hotel also seemed to have a very nice, upscale bar and decent conference facilities. This was a very good hotel, but Chicago does tend to have much better downtown hotels than most other American cities, I did have one major issue at the hotel with the plumbing in my room, however. The toilet kept making a running sound and would not flush on three occasions. Each time that happened, however, the front desk was very responsive with sending someone up to fix it. However, I would have rather had one permanent fix rather than the inconvenience of multiple temporary fixes. Hopefully they have fixed that in the room, permanently. The hotel was gracious and did end up giving us a $50 credit on our bill for the inconvenience. The other small complaint I had was that I did not feel the room was as well-stocked with toiletries as I would have liked, and I think that better hotels should have a body wash rather than a body bar. I did end up getting more toiletries from the front desk, however, and this was a very small thing. That alone made me realize I was staying at a Sheraton rather than a Westin.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us, it's great to hear you enjoyed our newly-renovated hotel as we've strived to make our hotel as comfortable as possible. Thank you for also informing us of any opportunities where we could make our hospitality even better as customer feedback is very important to us. Hopefully now you'll continue staying with Sheraton and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Chicago as well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,225)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just returned from a company sales event. In talking with fellow employees it seems that not all the rooms have been updated. Mine was great - great bed, TV, view, bathroom. Others seemed ready for a make-over. I suggest when checking in (at the beautiful lobby) you ask for an upgraded room. I was not a VIP or anything so the upgrades seem available to all.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room at check-in
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
We hope you enjoyed your sales conference here at the Sheraton Chicago and I'm pleased to hear that your accommodations and view of the city were comfortable during your travels from Atlanta. As you mentioned, we are in the process of completing the renovation to our guestrooms, including Club Level rooms so we will continue to offer extra comfortable stays on your next trip to the Windy City!
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights for a conference in the hotel. My room was on kind of a corner-so it seemed chilly, even with the heat on. Evidently they were having issues with the heat. My room was quiet and clean. No issues with wi-fi. Location was great. I did not use the gym-my gym had a location 1 block over so I went there. There is a movie theater and a couple of markets across the street.

Lots of restaurants and shopping close by. But it did seem like the hotel did not have very many of their restaurants open.

I did not have a bad experience, but several of my co-workers had their phones ring several times during the night-there was some sort of glitch with the programming. I had a shuttle, but FYI parking is $45 night for self-park.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Hello David & Kim,

Just wanted to assure you that any issues throughout your conference at our hotel have been completely rectified and we look forward to having you return to our hotel for your next conference.

Take Care.
Monroe, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights. We were pleased with the prices. We were also very pleased with the location. On the river and we had a fantastic view of Navy Pier from our room. The rooms were clean. The hotel is gorgeous. The lobby is breathtaking. We had a night cap at the hotel bar, even though the drinks were a bit expensive they were tasty, had a great selection, and we had a beautiful view of the river. Quick check-in and check-out. Beds were super comfy and the pillows were amazing! We also grabbed a quick breakfast at the little cafe below the lobby before checking-out. It was 6AM and the staff was awake and chipper! Had a great selection for an on-the-go breakfast. We really enjoyed our stay and will return there soon!

Room Tip: Stayed in 1806 had a beautiful view of the Navy pier!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Addie H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your accolades of our staff, location and overall hotel, Paula! It was a pleasure creating a memorable stay for you and your husband and we hope to see you back soon!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

It was a beautiful hotel, with a great view. I loved the pool, and the beds. But there are SO many better hotels in Chicago. They did not give us a microwave, no wifi, no breakfast, no mini fridge, no DVD player, and no radio. I've stayed at a Motel 6 that had all of those things. Under the beds was dirty, and the room service was rude. Not very helpful service, and not very romantic (if that's what you're looking for). There are BETTER options in the same area of the city. I expected a beautiful romantic getaway, and I got average and expensive stay. There is better value

Room Tip: View of the pier was beautiful at night. See fireworks!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Addie H, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Hello Jennifer,

I apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment during your last experience at the Sheraton Chicago. We value all our guests feedback so the opportunity to speak with you about this further would be most appreciated. Please feel free to call me at 312-329-6995 or email me at brian.hutchins@sheraton.com at your convenience.

Thank you very much.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I stay here quite a bit when we go to Chicago. The rooms are clean (and we got an upgrade this time so the room was amazing). Housekeeping does a really good job. The beds are so comfortable. Room service was fast, but the breakfast choices felt limited. Also, there wasn't a room service menu in the room.
Great location. Can get anywhere.
The thing that made this last trip memoable is my boyfriend and I got separated, he stayed out and I went back to the hotel. Well, I woke up at 5 AM and he wasn't back, so I immediately think he is dead. The front desk was so helpful, even though there wasn't much they could do besides calm a crazy girl down. It was very nice of them though. For such a giant hotel, they made me feel like they cared.
Oh, and my boyfriend was alive. He's just a nut.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Addie H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your continued business at the Sheraton Chicago, we appreciate you picking us when your travels bring you to the Windy City from St. Louis. What a relief your boyfriend is alive and well and that our staff could assist you, as that's what we're here for! Come back and see us again soon, we just renovated all our Club Level rooms and Club Lounge so your upgrade will be that much better. The Club Lounge also offers breakfast daily so hopefully that will provide you more dining optoins to start your day. Or, check out the Link@Sheraton or LB's restaurants for even more selection. See you soon!