“Elevator Noise”

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Ranked #59 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 14, 2011

It's a very nice hotel, BUT: I stayed on the club level, my room was on the opposite side from the elevator. In other words, the elevators mechanisms were right behind the t.v. on the far wall away from the bed. All day and night, there was substantial elevator noise. Fortunately, I brought ear plugs with me and that was sufficient to drown out the elevator. But the fact that this noise exists is unacceptable and points to a design flaw in the hotel. I surely couldn' t be the first person to notice this, and they should only give these rooms to guests after warning them about the noise and offering a discount. If I had been staying more than one night, I would have asked to switch rooms.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank danielbeez
Write a ReviewReviews (1,753)

Reviewed February 7, 2011

I have stayed at this property several times, unfortunately we did not have a pleasant stay this time. The location is great! Shopping, Dining, the Art Institute, Millennium Park, Opera and Theatre all within walking distance. The rooms are comfortable, most with nice city or river views. Linens do seem to be getting a bit worn & no minibar.

First impressions really do mean a lot. Upon check in, I reminded the clerk my husband is a Gold Elite member and asked if the upgrade to the Club Floor was available. She said yes but the club is closed on the weekend. I replied, “Typically when the club is closed…” She interrupted me midsentence and flatly said “we do give vouchers for breakfast.” As she handed me our room keys I confirmed again the room upgrade.

As I was entering the room I noticed dirty dishes outside of the room. We enjoyed the lovely view of dirty dishes for most of our stay since they were not removed until around 12n the following day. Typically this would not have bothered me but after the course treatment at the front desk, the tone was set for our entire stay.

When the bellman brought our luggage to the room he asked if I was happy with the room. I flatly told him no. The clerk at the front desk was unaccommodating and this is not a club floor or upgraded room. He apologized and said he would notify the manager. Around a half hour later we received call from the front desk. They did offer to move us to a club floor room (really? Didn’t I already confirm said room twice?) I declined since we had already unpacked and had to leave shortly for dinner and the Opera. She said they would be crediting our Marriott account 500 points for the inconvenience. Wow, thanks. That’s a value of about 50 cents.

Last summer we stayed at the Marriott on Michigan Ave. We had almost a similar experience with their front desk. In December we stayed at the Conrad Hilton and found the front desk to be more than accommodating for our entire stay. At this point we feel as though Marriott does not value their loyal customers or travel agent partners. For our upcoming trip to Florida, I cancelled our reservation at Marriott Sanibel and booked a Starwood property.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Pros: Good location (not great), service calls/questions were immediately addressed, free hot drinks in the lobby on a daily basis, nice pool, very close to the eL trains

Cons: Room was not ready when we arrived (arrived right at check-in time) and we had to wait 45 minutes at the hotel's bar, room was not clean as we found dirty socks, etc. on the floor, bedding & pillows were inadequate

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Stayed here with my wife and 3yr old daughter for 1 week over the Christmas Holidays. Very comfortable and great location, 2mins walk from Macey's and Sear's which are in tuen only across the street from each other, The Magnificient Mile is only 10mins walk.. Make sure you eat in the 'Kerryman' Irish Pub too.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2010

Excellent location, quality service. Great place to stay for a weekend getaway. Don't drive down however - parking is $50/day. Great breakfast buffet but not cheap. Location couldn't be better, particularly if you want to take the CTA anywhere. Quite hotel. Usual Marriott attention. Only drawback was that you would expect a chain in Chicago to have HD TV which they don't. If you want to spend the bucks (I didn't), the rooms overlooking the river have very nice views.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for a holiday weekend in Chicago and really enjoyed it. The hotel's location is superb -- right in the middle of downtown, with easy access to both the "Miracle Mike" and all of the stuff on State Street. It's also within a block of the El and the below-ground subway. So, a truly easy way to access all parts of the city.

The room was very nice and well-appointed. Spacious bathroom, decent working area, nice sitting chair, extremely comfortable bed! The room was quiet even though the hotel seemed busy. The decor in the room was pleasant; the bathroom wasn't my personal style (green marble basin, etc.) but was in good condition.

I enjoyed the hotel's public spaces. Clean, spacious hallways; a big lobby with just the right amount of people. Everything was beautifully and tastefully decorated for the holidays.

With the exception of one crabby bellman who helped us store bags on the final day, service was excellent. At check-in, we requested a room with a view of the Chicago River. Even though we were staying on Marriott Rewards points, the agent worked to make this happen and was extremely gracious about it -- definitely appreciated! The Concierge was very helpful about finding a place for us to grab something to eat after an extremely late arrival. When we ran into a glitch with our keys not working on the lock during the final morning of the stay, security was quickly dispatched to the floor and the hotel apologized for the quick service glitch -- I really appreciate a hotel that acknowledges, and then quickly fixes, a problem. Service at the entrance was always superb -- the gentlemen who hailed us cabs were all very friendly, and when one of them saw me returning to the hotel with my hands full with coffee cups, he even rotated the revolving door for me.

Overall, this hotel did a great job -- would happily stay again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Stayed here for a few nights for an event at McCoramick Place. The room was room, clean and what I would expect from this higher level brand. All the staff I came in contact with were friendly and professional. Housekeeping was likewise.

The location was right at they loop, easy walking distance to restaurants, theaters and shopping. Sightseeing was also a good walk (Sears/Willis Tower)

The 26th(?) floor lounge for card holders had a nice free buffet breakfast in thye morning, weith hot and cold selections.

I took the blue line back and forth to O'Hare... the station being a block and a half from the Lake/Clark St station. It's an easy trip if you have 1 bag... and avoid rush hour.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business