“Nice stay at the Renaissance”

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Ranked #59 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Manhattan Beach
“Nice stay at the Renaissance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel this summer- both for business trips. The first time I stayed I got a great river view but this time I had a view of other buildings. The rooms both times were very clean, recently updated and best of all, extremely quiet!! I didn't hear my neighbors either time and the air conditioning was quiet as well. The lobby is nice, staff was cordial and the bar had good drinks/appetizers. There is also a coffee shop near the lobby that serves starbucks, bagels, etc...

I usually check between this hotel and the Westin River North to see what the best rate is. Both are peaceful hotels with nice rooms, although I have to admit the Westin has much more comfortable beds! The Fairmont is another good choice but a little further from all the action.

• Stayed August 2007
3 Thank beach567

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Turkish first
Gainesville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

We stayed with the Rnaissance Chicago over Memorial Day weekend, and enjoyed it.

We were very pleased with the location. When searching for hotels, we worried this one might be too far north for us to easily reach the sights were were planning to see. It turns out that the Loop is a relatively small area, and easily walked. This hotel is only a short block from the State&Lake stop of the L, giving it extremely easy access from Midway and great access to various areas of the city. For scale - the Chicago Theatre's sign is just beyond that stop to the south, and the river is about two steps from the hotel's front door. The location is within easy walking distance of the great restaurants, bars, and nightclubs just north of the river.

Our room was great - the king bed that made falling asleep after a long day sightseeing a true pleasure. Having two armchairs was great, although we did have to trade off use of the footstool. The bathroom was spacious, and came with a bathrobe and good-smelling bath products.

The hotel staff couldn't have been better. Our reception at the front desk was warm and cordial. If we hesitated at all as we walked out of the front door, one of the valet swould offer to help us figure out where we were going - they gave us great recommendation on dinner one night, and helped us get our bearings several times - they seemed to be genuinely interested in helping guests have a good time.

I would highly recommend the Renaissance to friends. The price was a bit higher than I originally wanted to pay, but it was worth it!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveler_VA
Nashville, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

+ We stayed in Chicago for a long weekend get-away and found a $200 rate that was fair for the great location. +Although the room I booked on-line came back as not available on my confirmation - even though they still took my money and I still had a reservation - when I called they promised me it would be okay. +True to their word it WAS and check-in was very smooth having used their advance on-line feature they had e-mailed me. +The room size was nice with good amenities but no safe in the room. -The whole room had a wierd problem with screws that were missing or very loose (hall door handle, tv cabinet, closet, etc.) +The bathroom was roomy and clean with nice features. -After we cleared up the $179 they charged me for the mini-bar we had not used we had a good stay at a fair price in a very convenient location on the river near Michigan Ave. and Millenium Park and close enough to the Navy Pier.+

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank TN_Paul
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

Stayed at the Renaissance for a convention in June 2007. The location was great for shopping and sightseeing in the Michigan Ave/Loop area, and handy to public transport for trips further afield. There are lots of great restaurants within walking distance too. The hotel itself was clean and well maintained, and the 24-hour room service is great for anyone arriving on a late flight. I had a room with 2 queen beds and a fantastic view of the river and the Marina City "corncobs" (love them!). The room itself was a decent size, and the bathroom was fabulous, with an excellent shower/bath, quality fittings and lots of fluffy white towels. My only gripe would be the swimming pool, which is considerably smaller than it looks on the hotel website - not suitable for swimming laps (too short/shallow) but would be good for just splashing around in. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone travelling to Chicago on business, and also for vacation travel.

• Liked — Location, amenities
  • Disliked — pool too short to do laps
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank flyingmonkey
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

We stayed at the Renaissance for 3 nights in March 2007, the hotel was beyond expectations. The staff were personable and helpful for tourist info.. We arrived very late after many delays and the staff checked us in quickly and gave us our room keys. The room were spacious and clean. Our room's view was of the Chicago river and the theater district on the 21st floor.
We had breakfast at the hotel one morning and they had fresh fruit, great service. The "L" was aroung the corner for easy transportation around the city. I would definately recommend staying at this hotel and we will be returning in the future.

• Liked — The large size rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank iantess
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2007

You may want to bargain over the supplement for a room with a full river view. On checking in, I was told that the supplement would be $30 per night. I declined but returned to the front desk on discovering that my assigned room, with only a partial river view, was next to the elevator. A different person at the front desk then offered me a room with a full river view for an extra $35. That was reduced to $30 after I said that her colleague had quoted that amount. My first night turned out unpleasant because the air conditioner was extremely noisy. My subsequent nights were much better, although the air conditioner did not respond much to adjusting the thermostat below 70 degrees. The bed was just OK by my fussy standards. On the plus side, the room was quiet and generally nice, the view excellent, and the staff had a good attitude. I would be willing to stay there again, but I would also be interested in exploring the alternatives.

• Liked — The river view, proximity to downtown attractions and business venues.
  • Disliked — Air conditioners unresponsive to thermostat adjustments and in my first room very noisy.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

Great rooms, really good size for such a city! Hotel very clean and has very good maintenance.
Location is excellent, just in the middle of the best attractions.
Staff very nice. the only problem is that the bussines center is closed on weekends and I couldn't find a place open on a sunday to check internet as I didn't have the laptop with me.

• Stayed June 2007