“Renaissance Chicago-good value for the right rate..”

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Ranked #57 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 27, 2006

A son in college in Evanston brings us to the windy city and evirons with some frequency of late. Recently, we saw the Hubbard Street Dance Co. near home in Florida, and vowed to see them in their home venue at the Harris Theater in Millenium Park. And while looking for other Chicago activities for our weekend we discovered that the Goodman Theater had a David Mamet Festival, and the Renaissance offered rooms at $139 per night for Goodman patrons. Despite a 750 person Italian/Indian wedding at the hotel and an orthopedist's convention in town, the Renaissance had a room for us at that rate.(without any verification that we had theater tickets-when booking or while there)The Renaissance is around the block from the theater, 5 minute walk from Millenium Park--2 minutes to Michigan Avenue shopping and a restaurant(Bandera) recommended by the concierge which was a wonderful choice for two of our meals. The hotel staff was friendly, genuinely helpful (no problem with early check in)and knowledgeable, the room cozy, without being small, the housekeeping staff friendly and accomodating. We had a view of the river and the lake from the 17th floor room which had a comfortable king bed and well appointed first class bath.This is not a 5 star hotel--if you want the ultimate in "luxe" go elsewhere-but if you want a comfortable, well located hotel with virtually all the amenities you could want, don't overlook the Renaissance.(NB. the fitness area and pool is undergoing a renovation which began March 27--call to see when they'll be done.)If I were paying the published $339 a night rate, perhaps I wouldn't consider the hotel such a great choice-but then again, I didn't do an extensive search for alternatives, once I secured my reservation at $139. As usual, I will be glad to share further observations with anyone who emails.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank jnr24

Reviewed March 25, 2006

This is how a hotel should be run. Efficient, polite and clean. Superb BED!!!! Cramped workout area being totally redone, should be nice. Perfect locale. I would definitely stay here again. There is a really nice starbucks next door in an attatched pass-thru Mall.(No need to step outside!)

Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank BigMiguel
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 24, 2006

Centrally located to many attractions. Service was outstanding! Rooms were comfortable, clean, and nicely furnished. Couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed March 2, 2006

We travel to Chicago regulary with our friends from Cleveland and this was our first experience at with this Renaissance Hotel (we've stayed at several other Renaissance hotels in the US).
Upon checking in the staff did not have my room ready, which was OK, but by the time we got our room it was extremly tiny (we paid $60 on top of our room rate to get a larger room). We called front desk and they moved us in to another room which had water all over the floor. We asked for another room and they had one, so this our 3rd move the room smelled like smoke. We were so tired we took the room because we didn't want to be extreme pains. We went out to dinner (everything is far away from this hotel) and had to take cabs all night long. The only thing close to this hotel is bowling across the river. I was not impressed. We finally checked out 3 nights later and will not go back to this hotel again. I'd rather go to another hotel north of the river.

• Stayed: February 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 17, 2006

We stayed two nights in the Renaissance and I was very happy with how clean and comfortable the hotel is. It would have been nice if our room was truly ready upon arrival. For example I had to call to request additional robes for my spouse and three year old as there was only one in our room waiting for us. And my only complaint was the bathroom smelled of urine. I requested the bathroom cleaned, and it was scrubbed thoroughly by hotel staff. However, the odor reappeared later in the day. After an exhaustive search we determined it must be the potpourri. In any case, nothing about our room looked unclean or unsanitary. Everything sparkled and the decor was very nice. Loved the duvet and the mattress. Location is the best part about this hotel...but I personally like to use the amenities. The ladies locker room was no Ritz Carlton. Disposable razors, combs and facial products would have been nice but are not provided. The hot tub and pool were great and overall we enjoyed our stay and would return again. I expected a bit more however and was only slightly disappointed by those small things I already mentioned.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
10  Thank Stay4Fun
Reviewed February 6, 2006

We have stayed at a number of Chicago hotels, and the Renaissance was a wonderful choice. It is centrally located (especially if you want to see Wicked), has the most comfortable beds, and a nice gym free to guests. We had a river view which was lovely. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2006
9  Thank showfermom
Reviewed January 29, 2006

As a lifelong Chicagoan, I chose to stay here for my 50th birthday last year. The views overlooking the Chicago River, Marina City, and the up & coming Trump Tower were so Chicago. Now we just got back from another 1-night stay after seeing the play, Wicked (one block away). What a lovely, well-run hotel! It's better than ever. New beds, overstuffed & ample pillows, beautiful bathrooms with elegant wood appointments, efficient elevators, etc.

As a Chicagoan, I have my pick of many hotels - some world class. Whenever I can, I choose the Chicago Renaissance.

My only complaint - $39 overnight valet parking. Inexcusable.

• Stayed: January 2006