We had stayed at the Renaissance about 4 years ago on my birthday and, this year, took advantage of a Marriott points promotion to stay here with our teenage children. Picked this hotel due to great River North location and the indoor pool.
The plusses: Fantastic location near a lot of shopping, theatres, restaurants and the beautiful riverside. Great hotel bar, clean rooms and friendly service.
The minuses: Rooms could use an update, advertised separate tub and shower but our room was not appointed with this. Also, a few other incidents left us less than satisfied: My husband attempted to ask the concierge to help print tickets to the Chicago Auto Show for him. He was told he'd have to download the app to his phone, and then send to the hotel's printer. He really felt they could have provided more assistance. Also, when we took our car out of valet and came down to get in the car, the two bellmen just stood there as we sat in our car, and made no attempt to give us our keys. My husband had to get out of the car and ask for our keys. The hotel's hot tub was also out of order, which was a big disappointment for my kids, who are past the "splashing in the pool" stage. Lastly, my husband and I came down on our last night for a nightcap, and the bartender, who was alone at the rail, complained to anyone who would listen about how busy he was, and flat-out told one of the servers he couldn't fix his drinks right away because he was too busy. The poor guy had to wait 20 minutes to serve his guests in the lounge. I really feel that if service people are stressed, they shouldn't express it in front of the guests if they can. It really put a damper on our leisure time to listen to him.
Other than that, a good stay overall. There are a number of coffee and sandwich type places just downstairs from the hotel (you don't even have to brave the winter weather to enjoy them). Also a convenient ATM.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Merging the business of the Loop with the pleasure of State Street and Chicago’s Theater District, the newly renovated Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel invites discovery at every turn. Winner of a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, the Renaissance Chicago enthralls from the moment you enter the lobby – featuring a VIP Club Lounge, Artist Studio, Coffee Bar and Library. Unwind and revitalize in one of the 520 guestrooms and 40 suites featuring unique amenities with marble accents complimented by skyline views of the city's architecture. Wind down inside this luxury hotel in Chicago’s Rejuvenation Center boasting a refreshing indoor pool and indulgent spa treatments. Experience this downtown Chicago hotel’s distinctive and hip scene with local flair, delectable dishes and creative cocktails. This premier Chicago theater hotel is steps away from upscale shopping, fine dining, the theater district, and famed Millennium Park. Your own Windy City experience awaits at this downtown Chicago boutique hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Expedia, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Hotel Chicago
- Chicago Renaissance
- Renaissance Chicago Hotel