“Good for business in the loop”

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Ranked #56 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Good for business in the loop”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I typically stay at this hotel for 1-2 night business trips. My stay usually involves getting in late or getting in early which has never been a problem. There is an "Aroma" cafe in the lobby with decent coffee and snacks for the morning. I've never had breakfast at the restaurant, but room service breakfast is usually very good. The location is terrific for any activities in the loop or in River north. There are several trains that run withing a few blocks of the hotel. The hotel is also linked internally with some other restaurants and amenities and there is an entrance to the pedway right outside the hotel. Just over the river in River North are a bunch of great restaurants and bars. There are also lots of convenient eating choices near by like Chik-fil-A and subway and pottbelly, etc.

The service in general is excellent, the people are friendly, welcoming, accommodating, etc. The entrance is easy with the large driveway - easy to get in-and-out (not in street traffic) and plenty of cabs usually on hand. I've not been to the bar, but it looks really nice and often has a decent crowd most week nights. The lobby is not overly big, but very functional and useful for impromptu calls, etc. Internet in the hotel works well. Its not cheap, but it comes included in my corporate rate so I always use it when staying there.

The rooms are fairly well appointed. I've stayed in king rooms on various floors. Some have views of the river which is nice - others are on the back side. The room are generally quiet as far as other guests and hallways are concerned. On certain side of the building you are overlooking the El which might be a problem for people sensitive to noise, but doesn't bother me. The bathrooms have decent toiletries - separate shampoo and conditioner which my wife find important. The moisturizer/body lotion sometimes seems recycled which is gross, but I don't use that anyway.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
We truly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Guest comments like yours allow us to see what we are doing right, and what can be improved at our property. I especially like the part of your review regarding staff service. We always want to make you feel like you are at home while you are traveling. I will be sure to share your comments with the hotel staff. Thank you again for taking the time to leave us feedback, and we cannot wait for your return! Stay Warm!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I love this hotel. It is situated so centrally to everything in Chicago, is clean and the staff are terrific. The rooms are comfy, clean and spacious. True Marriott standards! A great place to stay if going to house of blues or a broadway show.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy M
Tracy-
Thank you for the fabulous review! Your comments are exactly what we strive for as hoteliers and I will personally share your comments with our team. Comments like yours are a joy to share with the staff so thank you! We look forward to your return!
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I've stayed here a few times, while in town for work and it's definitely worth the cost. The location is right in the middle of downtown, so many things are within walking distance. The concierge lounge is pretty nice too if you're able to get access.

I would recommend this place to anyone traveling to Chicago for business.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
I am delighted to see that you would recommend our hotel to anyone traveling in Chicago, and that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are anticipating a guest room renovation at the end of 2014 or the beginning of 2015, so be sure to visit us again as we have much to look forward to in the near future! Thank you again for the feedback and try to stay warm!
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The property is beautiful and has a great, central location! Could use a little updating in a few areas, but overall it was clean and well kept. The employees were always accommodating. Overall, a great stay!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view - ask for a room overlooking the river!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Your comments are extremely important to us, and I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to your next stay.
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed here with my wife over MLK weekend - this was our second stay her.

The hotel is very centrally located and 1 block from the el, so it's very convenient to Chicago and the airport. Definitely investigate taking the train in/out from O'Hare, it couldn't be easier, and you'll save tons on the cab fare and beat traffic.

Our room was on the 26th floor and the room was in very good condition except for a weird stain on the floor. Upon check in the staff was very friendly and helpful throughout the stay.

We used the fitness room which is in good condition and has ample machines, with a nice view. The pool area is nice - except that the hot tub is out of service, not quite sure what is going on, but there is a plywood cover over it.

We had breakfast in the dining room and that was great - tons to chose from and it was very good. We then had breakfast in the concierge lounge the next day, not nearly as nice and limited in choices compared to the weekend breakfast, but still pretty good.

Overall I'd say this is a good hotel for business minded travelers needing to be downtown as well as tourists whom want a smaller hotel and a good location.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view if you can, or club level king.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SMR_2
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for the kind comments and taking the time to write us a review! We are luck to have an amazing location paired with an exceptional staff. We hope to welcome you back to Chicago very soon!
Indiana
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This hotel is located with a view of the river and easy access to Willis as well as Michigan Avenue. I've stayed here dozens of times and the rooms vary in configuration but most are larger than your traditional downtown room. There are at least 3 types of suites and all are exceptional and the club serves a warm breakfast with the best scrambled eggs I've ever had at a hotel.

The restaurant was recently remodeled and there is a busy but very good buffet breakfast in the a.m. and the main level lobby bar is trendy with good light fare.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the river or a corner suite, if available!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dibotu
Thank you for the raving review! I will pass your comments along to our Chef and our culinary staff! Please visit us agian soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have to visit Chicago 5-6 times a year on business and always angle for a room at Renaissance, the one on the Chicago River. It is literally my favorite hotel in America. The staff is always on their toes and they almost always upgrade me into a suite overlooking the river. This is a perfectly comfortable and luxurious place with excellent services, especially the restaurants. I love the location, almost adjacent to the Daley Center and the numerous law offices in the neighborhood. Renaissance is like my home away from home.

The only down side is the cost, which has risen dramatically in recent years, but usually, I can get somebody else to pay. I know the Ritz Carlton and the Four Seasons have better reputations, but, for me, this is the place to be.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank ready314
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Your comments are extremely important to us, and we appreciate all of your kind remarks! Staff service is a top priority for us and I am so glad we can make your stay feel like home. We look forward to your return visit!