“The best view in Chicago”

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Ranked #59 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Fantastic location overlooking the river and marina city. Rooms comfortable and good value. Bar and restaurant good value and high quality. Friendly and very competent staff. Will return - thank you for looking after us

Room Tip: Corner river views are stunning
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

mark and drew, thank you for staying with us! It was our pleasure to have you at our hotel. Thank you for all of the kind comments, I will definitely pass them along to my staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,750)

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Was here in December 2013 for a weekend getaway. Having stayed at several Renaissance properties across the globe, I had high expectations especially in a downtown center hotel. However, the decor was more along the traditional Marriott brand than the Renaissance brand. The rooms were nothing interesting by any means. I was severely disappointment with the hotel bar, which had awful service. Yes, the Bears were playing on Monday night at home; however, you would think hotels such as this would anticipate such crowds (especially by December). We had a great deal on the hotel, which is why we stayed. However, there are certainly more interesting boutique-like hotels in the vacinity.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Matt, I would like to personally apologize for the sub-standard service you received at Bar Novo. I can assure you this is not typical, as we pride ourselves on staff service throughout our hotel. When you return to Chicago, please feel free to contact me, I would be delighted to ensure your next stay is a perfect 10! We hope to welcome you back to Chicago in the near future.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have come to be spoiled by nice hotels like the Renaissance, and look for deals on line, which we got here. I was pleased with the location, as it's really right between the Magnificent Mile and other more reasonable shopping on Clark Street and within 6-10 blocks of many types of restaurants. The spacious, well-appointed room, its view (we paid extra for that and it was worth it), the quality beds and the little things the hotel offered were great. Wish we would have had time to enjoy the pool and spa area a bit, as they had just been remodeled.

Room Tip: Definitely, if you can swing it, pay the extra charge to get the river view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the fabulous review on Trip Advisor, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us! I am happy to see that you enjoyed the spectacular Chicago views and shopping alike. We hope to see you again, Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stay at the Renaissance on Wacker Drive because it's such a convenient location and we like the bar area. The lobby is lovely (minus the odd perfume scent that is found throughout), but the rooms, while clean, are in dire need of a face lift. Time to renovate, Marriott. The drapes in our room had a large stain, which looked like blood, but hopefully was not. The rooms, while worn, have been quite clean when we've stayed there.

Two other not so positive comments: 1.) The concierge is obviously not trained in helping people with restaurant recommendations, directions, etc. I was handed a pre-printed list of restaurants. Another time we were given the wrong directions by the concierge. Not very professional. Also, both times the concierge has not been very welcoming / friendly. When you're the face of the hotel, probably smile. 2.) We stayed there over Christmas. A staff member told us they were 16% full. You would think we would have been upgraded to a nicer room at no charge, but we were not, despite being repeat visitors. That would have been a simple-to-do nice perk. Not sure we will stay there next time we are in town. I was pretty underwhelmed. If it wasn't for the location, I would definitely go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Pick a room on an upper level or a riverview room or you will listen to the noisy train that goes ev...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

While I am not pleased with the experience you had at our hotel, I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. If possible, I ask that you call me at 312-372-7200 so I can get more details about your experience. I would like to follow up with the hotel ambassadors that assisted you, so we can improve for the future. I can tell you, that the pre-printed list of restaurants you received would have been our “navigator guide” this is a guide that is printed and changed at least once a week to give our guest a current look at city events and restaurants that are featuring specials or special events that week. The purpose of the navigator guide is to allow our guests a “cheat sheet” to the city that they can take with them if they are out exploring the city. As for an upgrade, we do try and give all guests the best room possible including free upgrades, when occupancy is very low we do close down floors to ensure the safety and security of all guests, which can cause upgrade availability to be limited. As I said, I would love to get more details from you, so please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I look forward to hearing from you, and I hope your return to our property in the future so we can make your stay a perfect 10!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here in November-2013. The main advantage for staying in this hotel, is its location. Very close to Magnificient Mile and the Northbridge shopping mall. The check-in process was fairly fast and the room had excellent views of the downtown area. The bed was nice and comfy. Breakfast was good but expensive and parking was $65! Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Ina, I am pleased to see that your enjoyed your stay with us at the Renaissance Chicago! We do indeed have a marvelous location, perfect for shopping around the holidays. As for the parking rates, unfortunately due to resent tax increases by the city and the county parking rates thought the city have increased in recent months. I am glad to see this did not impact your stay, we hope to see you again very soon! Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel in the past and always loved the lobby atmoshphere at Christmas time. The beautiful tree and the sleigh in the lobby. We came back to Chicago for the Christmas atmosphere and truly missed that atmosphere and ambiance this year. The rooms and service are still great and the staff was courteous as always however it appears that this is political correctness a few steps too far. We were there 4 nights but to come back for the Christmas season we would like to see more of the reason that we returned put into the look and atmoshphere. The Intercontinental had a huge tree with many people having pictures taken by their tree.

Room Tip: River view rooms are great for the evening view.
1  Thank Fred M

Fred, I love to see that you rated our cleanliness and service with 5 stars! Our staff service is definitely a priority for us and I am glad we delivered on that aspect of your stay. As for the holiday décor, we try and incorporate different aspects each year to keep our lobby intriguing, but I must say the sleigh has always been a big hit, and we may bring it back to add to the holiday feel next year! You should see us now, we have about 6 inches of snow on the ground and we are looking quite festive! Send us up some warm weather from Tennessee; we are expecting a high of -1˚ on Monday! I hope you had a delightful holiday, and we hope to welcome you back next year!

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Check-in was easy. Our room was clean. The view was nice. The beds were comfortable.

We ordered room service one evening, and it arrived quickly. The food was hot and surprisingly good. The house salad was particularly delicious.

The location is perfect. We were in town for a play and shopping. We did not need a cab one time. We were able to walk everywhere we needed to go...even in a snow storm!

Our only complaints are about the valet service. One, it's expensive, but that is to be expected. Two, upon arrival, valet is the first impression the hotel gets to give. We were curtly greeted upon arrival and told to pull our vehicle over to the side because we were checking in and not attending "the function". No, I'm sorry, if I'm spending money to stay at your hotel please allow me to pull up to the front door under the portico so that I don't have to walk and drag my bags through the slush.

We received the same poor service when we left. We know check-out time is busy. There were many vehicles waiting for their owners. Being blocked in is normal for such a busy time. But the head valet fellow was just standing by the doors instead of directing vehicles in and out. We actually had to wave at him from our vehicle to get him to come over to help direct us and two other cars out and through the packed drive. I will say though that the fellow who loaded our luggage was very helpful.

Up the game of your valet service Renaissance and you get 5 stars instead of 4!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Turkerophead
RenaissanceChicagoGM, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay overall. I will share your comments with my team, and review our valet processes. Even during our peak times, we should have a flawless process that allows you easy access to our porte-cochere. My apologies, that you had a difficult time at the door. I can assure you staff service is a top priority here at the Renaissance Chicago, and I invite you back to experience 5 stars!