“Smooth & relaxing”

Ranked #55 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Smooth & relaxing”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Rooms and amenities are relaxing. Top Floors with "larger" guest rooms are really pretty big. We just finished our 4 night stay. The only down size is the BAR NUVO staff & food just was not up to par. Oysters on the half shell were old & can't believe they even served those to the table. Other than that- this hotel would have been rated as a 5 star.

Room Tip: Top rooms for Executive Club are awesome- very nice size & great view of the WIT hotel, Trump To...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Turkish first
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My first impression was not a very good one and I hadn't even arrived yet. I called the hotel the day before my reservation to let them know that the other members of my party would arrive the next day before I did and was assured they would be able to check into the room. They requested the names of each and I was assured they would be able to check in upon arrival. They were not allowed to do so and sat for 3 1/2 hours until I arrived. We did get a room upgrade. Requested a refrigerator; never got one. The restaurant was noisy because of jackhammers on the other side of the wall and they were setting up/dismantling tables and chairs while we were eating. It is conveniently located & we were close to all that we wanted to see and do. I chose this hotel because of the reviews of others. I am not certain I would go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the river side
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dlynn54
Gardner, Kansas
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The Renaissance downtown was the perfect place to stay. The hotel room was okay, the service was great and the bar downstairs was excellent. Our stay was relatively quiet at the hotel but when you walked out it did not take long to find something fun to do. The rooms could use an update. The best feature was the location location location.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christina L
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The lobby and bar area were recently redone.....now they need to update the rooms. The service is good, with many long term employees. I have a business conference there a couple of times a year...and they do a good job.

Room Tip: Request river view...avoid inside rooms as you will hear the El running all night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Ask for a room that faces the river and you'll have a great view on the higher floors. Wonderful location for exploring downtown Chicago and easy to walk to many of the sites. If you are a Marriott rewards member, ask for an upgrade and you just might get it like I did. Lff obby bar has great snacks and the public spaces are very appealing and nicely decorated. There's a Fed Ex shop just off the lobby also so it's great for business travelers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here over Easter weekend. We didn't realize that it was Spring Break for Chicago, so the hotel was very busy with families, however it didn't impact our stay. Great service, great location, great hotel! We had a room on the 25th floor overlooking the river - it was a wonderful view to wake up to each morning, and the room was very quiet. I've stayed at many hotels downtown Chicago, and you always seem to hear sirens regardless of what floor you are on. This hotel however was very quiet - we had a great night sleep!

We had a couple of problems with the bathroom, and maintenance immediately corrected them. The concierge was very helpful as well. The pool area was fantastic - not huge, but it had a hot tub and pool, and was very bright and sunny.

Location for this hotel is great - a very short walk to Michigan Avenue, and there is a bus stop just steps from the rear door of the hotel. We took the bus to the Museum of Science and the Museum Campus (for the Aquarium, and the Field Museum) and it was very easy. We also walked to a few wonderful restaurants (a short ten minute walk to everything we wanted).

The only surprise we had was that self parking is not onsite - there is only space for valet parking at the hotel, and self parking is a block away. It turned out to be fine however, since we parked our car and then walked, or took the bus everywhere.

I would definitely stay again at this hotel - we had a fantastic family weekend, and my children (age 13 and 9) can't wait to go back to Chicago again.

Room Tip: Room facing the river - much quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MapleMama_71
MI
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've stayed at SO many of the Chicago hotels, and have been meaning to try Renaissance for awhile. There was a hiccup with my reservation (I booked online using my rewards # for best rate) but they found me a room. Although, it was $50 more than the rate I secured online, I was happy there was a room! Staff was friendly & available. Location is really the huge plus here. Rooms not huge, but not exactly manhattan small either! Room was clean, comfortable and bathroom as well. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013