“Great location but Hotel is just ok”
Review of Raffaello Hotel

Raffaello Hotel
Ranked #105 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night at the Raffaello based on a Groupon we purchased. The location of this hotel is great – located right behind the Hancock Tower, one block from Michigan Ave. Our room was located on the 16th floor without a view, the shower needed some maintenance but the room was clean. The bed was comfortable and there was a microwave and mini fridge in the room. Unfortunately during our visit there seemed to be some problem with the heating/AC because our floor was at least 80 degrees during the entire stay. People on our floor had their doors and windows open. We had to sleep with our window open even though it was only 25 degrees out.

A big con was there were only two small elevators that can make coming and going very slow.

Valet was prompt and the front desk staff was very friendly, however, not overly eager to help. When I complained about the temperature of our room – all I got was “oh – ok”. I expected an “I’m sorry or we will look into it” or something more. It didn’t give me great hope they were going to act on my complaint and at that point I was glad we only decided to stay one night.
While the Groupon made it worth the stay, I wasn’t impressed enough to pay the normal $350-$400 for a future stay given the surrounding hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Don’t stay on the 17th floor – we went up there to get ice and you can hear the noise from the 18th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DodgerMom668
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Raffaello Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

We always appreciate when our guests take the time to share their experience while staying with us, thank you. We are located in a truly fantastic location. Close to all that one might want food, drink, entertainment and shopping. But where our guests can enjoy the peace and quiet of the surroundings as well. I am, however, sorry to hear of your
complications you faced while staying with us. I assure you our entire team is here to make our guests feel comfortable and at home. The problem you faced in your room has been addressed and we hope to see you again to go above and beyond your expectations.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We enjoyed almost every single thing about our stay at the Faffaello Hotel in Chicago.
Car valet was quick every time; the staff were always very friendly & helpful. The room was
wonderfully appointed. The donut shop in the lobby was frosting on the cake. Only downers
were the very small elevators that are slow and the music volumn in their Bar was so loud that shouting was mandatory to get service or have a conversation.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Room was on 14 th floor. Elevators are very small and take forever to get up and down. Rooms are small for the price. Pics on web page look better than what we saw. Staff was great, slower than normal check in process. Drum bar on 18th floor was very nice and swanky. Didn't care for the North end location. We have stayed all over Chicago and I would give this hotel a 5/10. Our room was Ethiopia hot and I had thermostat turned down to 60 degrees.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2013

One of my family member is coming here for the first time and I wanted to take them to a nice hotel that's close to everything. I wanted to book this hotel for this upcoming Monday from all the wonderful reviews, but after I read all the reviews from this year I'm on the fence. Would you guys recommend this place???

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Raffaello a couple of years ago and it was a very nice hotel at that time, however, not so much any more. The room was clean and the staff was always friendly but it really needs some updates. We had a suite and it just felt run down. Paint chipping off of the baseboards, outlet not working for the coffee pot, bathroom grout chipping and stained.

We stayed two nights and we didn't get any coffee the second day and the mini bar fridge that I raided didn't get replenished either. The location is great and the price was right ($120/nt) so that made up for the shortcomings. I would stay again if they made some effort to keep it updated, but there is no shortage of hotels to choose from in this same area. Overall it was still a nice weekend getaway and we weren't really in the hotel that much anyway.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I travelled to Raffaello in January, 2013. The accomodations were OK. Staff were not overly helpful. After I returned and got my credit card statment, the hotel had charged my for items from the mini-bar, which I had NOT purchased. I had to make 2 phone calls to finally talk to someone about this. They promised a return call but never did call back. Email would have been preferable, but there is no email contact on their website. Since I did not hear back, I called my CC company to dispute the charge, only to find out they HAD credited the amount. It would have been nice if they could have notified me. Again, not impressed at all with the service at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Susan B
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Great, centrally located hotel with the friendliest staff I have ever encountered!! Cute little donut shop in front lobby was a bonus! Spacious suite was great for a girls weekend in the city. Parking was a grear deal, too.

• Stayed: February 2013