“If you want to risk this hotel, lock everything up”
Review of Raffaello Hotel

Raffaello Hotel
Ranked #105 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 10, 2008

During our honeymoon we stayed in this hotel. we have never being treated so poorly.
We had brought lots of shopping during our stay, on the second day two shopping bags were removed from our room. when we brought this to the hotels attention, they said they would get the housekeeper to contact us first thing in the morning. When we had heard nothing by 10am, we then called the front desk and were told an investigation was taking place. Upon check out we enquired about the outcome, the investigation was still taking place. The front office manager, as the housekeeping manager was not on duty would call us before 5pm, before our flight would leave. We heard nothing.
We called twice and left messages with the general managers phone upon returning home and eventually receieved a call back from the housekeeping manager, the investigation was complete and only empty bags were removed from the room. We asked to speak immediately to the general manager. He was to call me back, of course that never happend. we rang and eventually spoke with him, he all but called us liars and shouted down the phone at me and he ended the call by hanging up unexpectantly.
We are utterly shocked that a senior person in a service industry could be so obviously rude.
If wish to risk this hotel, lock everything up!

• Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank wwjm

Reviewed March 6, 2008

During our recent honeymoon we stayed at the hotel, on front inpression the hotel look fine for the price and location.
Then two shopping bags were taken from our room..
When brought it to management's attention, we don't care attitude was sensed. We were treated like liars.
Eventually (after four times contacting the hotel during our stay and 3 times after departure) we were told their investigation shows nothing was removed, the CCTV footage only showed empty bages being removed from the room.!!!!!
The general manager ended up shouting and hanging up at me. Lock everthing away, if you want to risk it!

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank honeymoon08Ireland
Reviewed February 25, 2008

We had a great stay at the Raffaello. This is a small, recently refurbished, boutique hotel with a fantastic location and a great rate for the area (next door to the Water Tower Mall, The 900 Shops, Hancock building, and Michigan Ave.). The hotel was clean, well maintained, and our room was spacious and well outfitted. We had extra towels (without asking), and the hotel and housekeeping staff were attentive to our needs. The bathroom was of modern decor in mosaic tile and glass. We also had a great view from our room.

On a separate note, while this hotel does offer a nicely equipped gym and spa services (no pool), there is no onsite bar or restaurant. The hotel does offer in-room breakfast service and is near other bars and restaurants. I understand that the hotel is adding on-site dining in the near future. Additionally, there are only two (very small - 4-6 ppl capacity max or 3 ppl + luggage) elevators for the entire hotel, so elevator service could be slow during busy times.

We couldn't have been happier with our stay at the Raffaello and would definitely recommend it to our friends and family or couples or singles looking for comfortable, affordable, and well appointed accomodations in a great location.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I discourage everyone from ever going to this hotel.

This is what happened to me:

When I arrived I was quite impressed with the rooms, the locations and many other things. The hotel really is very nice - it's the people who work there that I worry about!

On my last day there I forgot a considerable amount of money in the pocket of the hotel bathrobe - my fault, very stupid thing to do! I remembered about the money when I was already at the airport. I called the hotel and the housekeeper assured me that she would call the laundry company and make sure they look through the pockets before putting the robes in the wash. I called a few hours later and the receptionist told me that the money had been found and the laundry company employee was going to bring it to the hotel. When I called the next morning, the hotel manager said that only one third of my money was brought back. I called the laundry company and they faxed me a receipt confirming that the hotel manager had received all of the money. When I called the general manager to complain he said to me: "I'm going to be blunt, what you did is a stupid thing and the hotel doesn't take any responsibility for your money because you already checked out".

I have of course since hired a lawyer and those crooks will hear from him soon. But I just want to emphasize that apart from taking the money, the managers tried to blame the laundry company for it.

To sum up - if you go to the Rafaello you'll find a beautiful hotel with very nice rooms. But there is simply no way of knowing for sure that these liars aren't going to steal from you as well.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank toniafirer
GMRalph, GM at Raffaello Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2008

The guest fails to mention several important facts:

1. The guest checked out of the hotel and approximately 6 hours later called to inform the hotel that they had left 3000EUROS in their bath robe. The hotel had already sent the robes/sheets/towels, etc. to the off premise third party laundry.
2. The night managers called valiantly to attempt to track down a robe (identical to hundreds of others) and to find missing CASH in the robe. Fortunately, 1000EUROS were recovered at the laundry, returned to the hotel, and given back to the guest.
3. The guest is lucky to have gotten anything back at all considering the number of people that came into contact with the laundry well after they had checked out. If you leave cash in a cab, what are your chances of getting it back?
4. The guest was foolish and negligent.
5. The hotel was diligent and honest.

We believe the guest has been deceitful in their remarks by leaving out important facts. We commend our staff for having gone above and beyond.

Management.

Reviewed February 25, 2008

Stayed at the Raffaello for 2 nights. They really have done a nice job withe the renovations. I stayed here 4+ years ago and swore I would never return--it was a dump, and was in dire need of renovations.

From the moment we arrived, I was very pleased. The service we received form the doorman and front desk was excellent. Very pleasant and helpful.

Had a lovely room (it was quite large, and after looking at the floorplan of the hotel, we did have one of the larger rooms--it was a corner room--1202). Our room had a flat screen TV, large desk, 2 VERY comfy beds. I would say the room was much larger than most I have stayed in in Chicago in this price range. We had a microwave, fridge (honor bar), and coffee maker. There was also a large vanity area. Very small closet. The bathroom was very spacious and nicely appointed. Large walk-in shower with rainfall shower head. Robes available in room.

The only complaint I had was the housekeeping service. On our first morning, we left around 10am to shop and have lunch. We returned around 2pm and our room had not yet been attended to. They came while we were there, and had them return when we departed again.

We paid $160 on Quikbook and I was very pleased with the quality. And, of course, the location is EXCELLENT!
Would definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2008

I enjoyed my stay given that the location was nice and room was nice. However, I am still dealing with billing issues 5 months later due to the fact that they charged over $1000 on my amex for a one night stay. Am not happy about how it is being handled. Book hotel with caution!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2008

Beware of booking at this hotel. They have an incredibly stringent 72 HOUR cancellation notice, no restaurant in the hotel, and a 4pm check-in, all of which I have never run into at any other hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008