“Modern Elegance” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Detroit
“Modern Elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I have stayed in many hotels near Michigan Avenue for shopping sprees and the Park Hyatt is always relaxing with no surprises. The rooms are modern, comfortable with great views of the lake and downtown. Also they are large enough to accomodate three women with tons of luggage and shopping treasures! The bathroom is spacious resulting in the three of us dressing for a night out at the same time. My only slight complaint would relate to the heating of the room-we could not adjust the temperature
down for the night resulting in some discomfort. The restaurant is a great place for a cocktail and appetizer in the evening.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank AXplat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
AMYFIL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

Everything about my stay was perfect. The rooms are beautiful, spacious and comfortable. The staff treated us like special guests and upgraded us to a lake view. The bar/restaurant are expensive but beautiful. The gym is great.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
pensacola fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We have stayed at the Park Hyatt twice while visiting Chicago. Both times have been wonderful. The bed, the service, the view from our room, breakfast Nomi's, the location, the quiet, classy atmosphere makes this the perfect stay. I am quite picky when traveling and require the best. I have no complaints at all.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

With a soft update of the rooms and the gym, this hotel would be better than it already is. On the plus side, this is a very solid property, with smooth service and extremely spacious, clean rooms. The bathrooms are generously supplied with high end toiletries and spotless, sporting double sinks, a separate tub/shower and toilet area. Room service was seamless and of generally high quality. On the negative side, it is quite surprising that a hotel of this caliber doesn't have flat screen TVs and that the beds felt a little old, a little uncomfortable. In addition, the equipment at the gym was dated and the cardio area was cramped. The pool looked really nice, but I did not have time to enjoy it. All in all, this is a very nice hotel that could use a soft update to make it feel a little more modern.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank qaz123
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I have become a huge fan of Park Hyatt Hotels since my last few great stays with them. Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental don't have loyalty programs, so when I go on business trips I'm motivated by getting the points. Something about getting a free night stay with two or something got me to check out the Park Hyatts. And I'm glad I did.
This hotel has a spectacular, modern lobby. Fantastic spa. We had a great view from our room (see picture). The tub was super deep and they gave really great eucalyptus salts that were awesome after a long day of meetings. The room service menu had a great selection of sushi. Breakfast on the 7th floor was really nice with a great view.
Criticism: the wifi at our room (1605) was non-existent. I don't know why. And also - be VERY specific on getting directions to the entrance the building is the huge water tower place and if you go to the GPS marked location you'll for sure be lost. Ask concierge on your way in specifically how to find the entrance, we circled around for about half an hour. Other than that, it's great. You have a semi-great room experience with the master bath opening into the living room. We loved it. Oh - sheets could've been softer.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary F
ponte vedra beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

Michigan Ave is graced with at least four of the best city hotels in the world. I've stayed in them all many times. I can't say a negative thing about any one of them. They all are 5 star and it's a matter on personal taste. I first stayed at the Park Hyatt over 10 years ago when it first open in its new incarnation. We stayed in the Pritzker Suite (since renamed) and were overwhelmed. We're appreciate art and organic objects. We tend to like mid-century modern decor. The Pritzker Suite was jaw dropping. For us it was the best Presidential type suite we had stayed in or even seen a picture of. I knew I had been spoilt and resisted booking the Park Hyatt because I would be disappointed knowing the heavenly suite was perched on the 17th floor. The 4 Seasons & Ritz (by 4 Seasons) are great properties but after the Peninsula opened it become my home once a month for several years. After the economic downturn I became more sensitive to room rates and went back to Park Hyatt. Well I can report that it's a 5 star product, the equal of it's next door neighbor and at a much sweeter value. The lack none of the high end amenities of a great hotel. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Cristophe alway greets me warmly by name and when I tell the bell men I don't need a car, that I'm taking the train a half block away to the airport I get a big thumbs up for being so smart. I've stayed in all the smaller suites and the standard rooms. All are great for a one or two day business trip. I think the 02, 03, 04 rooms all offer a great view of the Water Tower and on the higher floors an unobstructed view of Lake Michigan. NoMi is one of the better dining experiences in a city with some of the best chefs in the world. I love Park Hyatts and this one shines like a jewel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank cmoorer1
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

A repeat stay can often be disappointing in a hotel - not with the Park Hyatt. Every single detail is thought out to please the guest. It is absolutely the BEST example of running an excellent hotel - worth every penny spent.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business