“Solid Property” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Bozeman, Montana
“Solid Property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

With a soft update of the rooms and the gym, this hotel would be better than it already is. On the plus side, this is a very solid property, with smooth service and extremely spacious, clean rooms. The bathrooms are generously supplied with high end toiletries and spotless, sporting double sinks, a separate tub/shower and toilet area. Room service was seamless and of generally high quality. On the negative side, it is quite surprising that a hotel of this caliber doesn't have flat screen TVs and that the beds felt a little old, a little uncomfortable. In addition, the equipment at the gym was dated and the cardio area was cramped. The pool looked really nice, but I did not have time to enjoy it. All in all, this is a very nice hotel that could use a soft update to make it feel a little more modern.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank qaz123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I have become a huge fan of Park Hyatt Hotels since my last few great stays with them. Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental don't have loyalty programs, so when I go on business trips I'm motivated by getting the points. Something about getting a free night stay with two or something got me to check out the Park Hyatts. And I'm glad I did.
This hotel has a spectacular, modern lobby. Fantastic spa. We had a great view from our room (see picture). The tub was super deep and they gave really great eucalyptus salts that were awesome after a long day of meetings. The room service menu had a great selection of sushi. Breakfast on the 7th floor was really nice with a great view.
Criticism: the wifi at our room (1605) was non-existent. I don't know why. And also - be VERY specific on getting directions to the entrance the building is the huge water tower place and if you go to the GPS marked location you'll for sure be lost. Ask concierge on your way in specifically how to find the entrance, we circled around for about half an hour. Other than that, it's great. You have a semi-great room experience with the master bath opening into the living room. We loved it. Oh - sheets could've been softer.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary F
ponte vedra beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

Michigan Ave is graced with at least four of the best city hotels in the world. I've stayed in them all many times. I can't say a negative thing about any one of them. They all are 5 star and it's a matter on personal taste. I first stayed at the Park Hyatt over 10 years ago when it first open in its new incarnation. We stayed in the Pritzker Suite (since renamed) and were overwhelmed. We're appreciate art and organic objects. We tend to like mid-century modern decor. The Pritzker Suite was jaw dropping. For us it was the best Presidential type suite we had stayed in or even seen a picture of. I knew I had been spoilt and resisted booking the Park Hyatt because I would be disappointed knowing the heavenly suite was perched on the 17th floor. The 4 Seasons & Ritz (by 4 Seasons) are great properties but after the Peninsula opened it become my home once a month for several years. After the economic downturn I became more sensitive to room rates and went back to Park Hyatt. Well I can report that it's a 5 star product, the equal of it's next door neighbor and at a much sweeter value. The lack none of the high end amenities of a great hotel. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Cristophe alway greets me warmly by name and when I tell the bell men I don't need a car, that I'm taking the train a half block away to the airport I get a big thumbs up for being so smart. I've stayed in all the smaller suites and the standard rooms. All are great for a one or two day business trip. I think the 02, 03, 04 rooms all offer a great view of the Water Tower and on the higher floors an unobstructed view of Lake Michigan. NoMi is one of the better dining experiences in a city with some of the best chefs in the world. I love Park Hyatts and this one shines like a jewel.

2 Thank cmoorer1
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

A repeat stay can often be disappointing in a hotel - not with the Park Hyatt. Every single detail is thought out to please the guest. It is absolutely the BEST example of running an excellent hotel - worth every penny spent.

Mars, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

From the minute we walked through the door, we were treated like royalty. We never even had to hit the elevator button. Were given a complimentary bottle of champagne for our anniversary and use of the hotel BMW with driver -- never paid for a cab! The hotel was beautiful, view was stunning, linens and bed were so comfortable. Every employee was fabulous!

We've been here a few times prior, have brought our children twice. Complimentary hot cocoa brought to room upon arrival for those visits! All four visits to this newer hotel (stayed at old Park Hyatt as well) were perfect!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

This was our second visit to the Park Hyatt. This was also the second time we did not get our promised upgrade. We see a pattern.... The view of the Lake very nice. The Magnificent Mile location - FANTASTIC! For a chain hotel, they have done a great job with plush beds and luxurious linens.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Nagano Prefecture, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

The only reason that I didn't clock "service" 5/5 was that a simple tea order took 20 minutes for room service to deliver, and the only reason "value" didn't get a 5/5 is that you'll always find slightly better value at an independent than a chain hotel, as they have to work harder to find customers. Otherwise I could only find fault here by being REALLY picky.

Location is as good as it gets, just far enough off the shopping strip to be civilized, close enough to have cachet. Service was good, a little too formal but it was the first time I've stayed so I guess the staff erred on the side of caution. Great room, nice size, good stereo (a big plus given that my favourite music store in the world is in Chicago and I always gluttonise CDs), huge bathtub with a jar of bathsalts (extra points!), ridiculously comfortable bed... But no tea/coffee making which was a shame, tho' I guess at this price point the cost of a room service coffee is immaterial.

I used the pool - a proper half-Olympic lap pool in a very good spa/gym complex. Full marks. And the reception staff knew the length too, so I could calculate my sets properly. I ate in the Japanese-esque restaurant, and while the sushi was only moderately authentic (there were some items you wouldn't find in Tokyo tho' you probably would in LA) it was excellent. Although the restaurant was clearly a power-dining venue they accommodated a solo diner and his trashy novel with aplomb.

The design of the place is very good, quality without being glitzy, and the staff are trained to the Nth degree, almost up to Swiss or Hong Kong 5* standard. If you have the money and are prepared to spend it, this hotel won't disappoint.