“Return engagement -- still an A”
Review of Park Hyatt Chicago

Park Hyatt Chicago
Ranked #8 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Golden, Colorado
“Return engagement -- still an A”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

As on my last visit to Chicago, I stayed at the Park Hyatt...curious to see if the previous great experience was a fluke. It wasn't. Though as a Platinum Hyatt member I did not get upgraded, the room I got on 3 was spacious, clean, comfortable and had a nice lower view of the Water Tower and the constant foot traffic. Lots of hotels have nice rooms that are clean.

What sets this property apart is the staff. From the doormen, to the bell staff, front desk, NoMi waitstaff and housekeeping, each and every encounter with Park Hyatt personnel was a genuine pleasure. These are highly trained professionals who have complete understanding of what a traveler needs and wants. I echo my earlier review, with one tiny caveat -- the price was at the higher end of what I expected...still a very good value...just not an excellent value. I would not hesitate to return, in fact I plan to. Along with Ritz Carlton club level, this Park Hyatt is a truly exceptional experience. Highly recommended...again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank anasoll
Peter R, General Manager at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for returning to the Park Hyatt Chicago and taking the time to send your feedback about your stay. I appreciate your compliments about our staff, we always strive to provide authenic hospitality. Many thanks for your continued loyalty, we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Kind regards,
Peter Roth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Lenox, Illinois
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Park Hyatt Hotel in Chicago is perfect for an overnight getaway. My husband and I have been married for 14 years and for the first time we decided to stay the night in Chicago. We stayed at the Park Hyatt hotel on the night of July 15, 2013. When we arrived and entered the hotel, it was very elegant and the staff was amazing! They opened the door for us, offered to take our bags up to the room and all of the staff member were very polite. Once we were checked in, the staff member asked if there was anything else that he could do to help us. Once we got up to our floor and entered our room (306), we were amazed. The room was gorgeous! It was also very spacious. The blinds and shades were controlled by switches on the wall, along with many lights that were on dimmers. There was a large window seat that was very nice and comfortable. The bed and the leather chair were also extremely comfortable. We were on the 3rd floor and had a nice view of the water tower place. I only wish that our room was on a higher floor to have an even better view of Chicago. When I saw the bathroom, I couldn't believe my eyes. The bathroom was Huge! It was definitely my kind of bathroom. The bathtub was Enormous, big enough for two people to fit comfortably. There was even a small TV in there, so while taking a bath or getting ready you could watch TV. I also liked that there were doors that slid open so I could be in the tub and have the option to watch the large TV or talk to my husband while he was in the other room. Also what I liked, is that the shower was separate from the tub, so both of us were able to get ready at the same time. They also supply you with a set of robes to wear during your stay. We took a walk to the pool and hot tub to check it out and it was ok, nothing special. We were very busy and did not have time to go in the hot tub or pool so I really can't comment anymore about them. In the hotel lobby they also had complimentary coffee and lemonade. The location was nice. It is just a few blocks from the Hancock building. Almost everything was in walking distance. The next day we left our room to go check out and we did not want to leave. If we could have stayed longer we would have, but unfortunately we had to go. We were able to get the room at a discounted price and if we were able to get another discounted price we would absolutely stay here again. We had such a good time and a great place to stay. I would highly recommend the Park Hyatt Hotel in Chicago!

Room Tip: I would try to get a room on a higher floor for a better view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jen,
Thank you for choosing the Park Hyatt Chicago and taking the time to share your review about your stay on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your kind comments about our team and I am glad to know that they met your needs. I am also very pleased that you enjoyed our lobby design as well as your guestroom.
We certainly hope to welcome you back again soon!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is my "go to" hotel in Chicago. Within a few blocks of the other 5 star hotels. Great location. It is very nice, comfortable and comfy to sleep. Love to sit in the huge tub and watch TV in the bathroom. Big bathrooms with separate shower and tub. The service is always terrific. My only negative on this trip was that they need to either clean the carpet or replace in the room. There were some dark spots that may have been from shoes or luggage.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are smaller, make sure to get the ones that have the tub opening to the bedroom wit...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Harris14
Thank you for staying at the Park Hyatt Chicago on your recent trip Chicago. I am happy to hear that you found our rooms well appointed. I apologize for any housekeeping issues that you encountered. Be assured that I have shared this with my team and we are following up accordingly.
We truly appreciate this feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Warm regards,
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I've stayed here a few times and by and large have had an excellent experience on each occasion. The rooms (particularly those with a water tower or lake view) are superbly appointed, from the beds to the bathrooms. The staff really makes you feel welcome, especially the doorman. The spa is beautiful, and we usually found it deserted later in the evening. I seriously find myself comparing other hotel experiences to this one, as it's easily the best that I've ever had.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter R, General Manager at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Chris,
Thank you for choosing Park Hyatt Chicago and taking the time to send your feedback about your recent stay. We are very pleased we were able to exceed your expectations and that you enjoyed your experience. Your kind remarks have been shared with our team and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Iowa
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Wow. This is a great hotel. It is so artistic and beautiful. We had an 11th floor King room for two nights, using Hyatt points.

Pros (well, some of them -- there are so many!): The room was gorgeous. There was no lake view, but our city view was lovely. The window seat was a nice touch. There were electric blinds and also black out blinds. The bathroom was amazing, with so many amenities and a two person jacuzzi tub for two, complete with bath salts and candles. It was a getaway without kids, so the romantic room was appreciated by my husband and me. The bath amenities were so nice. The staff were warm, friendly and helpful. The restaurant, NoMi (named for North Michigan) was beautiful with huge windows looking over the city and lake. We had a wonderful lunch (salmon for me and sushi for my husband) that was to die for. We later had an equally impressive breakfast, and even got to shake the hand of a serious, big time celebrity two tables down from us. The afternoon lemonade and iced tea was greatly appreciated as the temperatures soared to 100 degrees. The hotel is wonderfully located on the Magnificent Mile, walking distance to the river, the lake, the beach, Navy Pier, House of Blues, the Hancock Center, and scores of restaurants and retail shops. We took an architectural cruise and a bike tour and walked to both. We saw a show at Second City - we walked there (about 1.4 miles) and took a cab back.

Cons: Almost none! There was no coffee machine. Though coffee was available in the lobby it would have been nice not to have to shower and dress before getting that first cup. Street noise was a minor annoyance. A higher floor would have been nice, but it would certainly not stop me from coming to this hotel.

Heck, I'd like to move in!!

Room Tip: Try for a high floor to avoid noise. I'm sure a lake view would have been beautiful, but the ci...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel was SO beautifully decorated and nicely themed. It was such a joy to be in the hotel, even when I was in the heart of Chicago. The outdoor terrace was so nice to enjoy during the summer whether it was for drinks or the GREAT Sunday brunch.

Normally, I find the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts Program to be a scam but it was actually nice to have this time. I was given a great room on a high floor, great views, and a lovely bathroom. Breakfast was also included plus $100 to spend on drinks or food-I spent it on the Sunday brunch.

Service was excellent as usual and the concierge was helpful. Definitely returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing the Park Hyatt Chicago and sharing your review on Trip Advisor. I am very glad to hear that you found comfort in your room and appreciate your compliments about our team. We are also delighted to hear that you enjoyed drinks and brunch at NoMI Garden. We look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again!

Kind regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I booked our room and then immediately regretted it. From the photos and other reviews, the hotel did not seem kid-friendly, and we were traveling with a six-month-old and a six-year-old. Fortunately, on such a busy Chicago weekend and week, we couldn't find accommodations elsewhere with which we were satisfied, and that ended up being fortuitous for us. We loved the Park Hyatt so much that we extended our stay. In fact, I began writing this review when we were still in the hotel -- I couldn't wait to sing their praises. The staff, rooms, and services are second to none.

We had a room with two double beds. It was lovely and spacious. They deep bathtub was luxurious, and the whole family each got their soaking time (even the baby). The beds were soft and comfortable. But the pièce de résistance was the huge window looking down over the Water Towers and Michigan Avenue and out to Lake Michigan. It was gorgeous. My son was so mesmerized by all of it that he took the cover off his bed and curled up in the window seat each night. We had to wait until he fell asleep and then carry him to his bed -- he wouldn't budge from his perch. I will always remember that.

Their staff is not just polite, they are warm. The rooms are magnificent, and the view is indescribably beautiful. My son curled up in the window seat every night to watch the lights of Michigan Avenue below. He asked the attendant at the registration desk for a room up in the sky, and that's what we got!

The registration attendants gave my son a backpack with crayons and activities when we checked in, and they delivered two gigantic lollipops and a sweet note on our second day there. We had breakfast on Monday morning, and we were the only people there with kids. My daughter fussed a bit, and I felt a little self-conscious about that; however, I think that was just me. The waiters were really great, and the food was excellent. My son ordered another waffle after polishing off the first.

Besides for the restaurant, I used their gym one morning. The facility was clean and functional, and I didn't have to wait for a machine. The valets were always quick with the car and helpful when unloading and loading, which made the $62 a day for parking a bit less disturbing.

My only complaints: we could hear our neighbor on our second night. We heard every word he said. Also, there was a large safety pin in the lovely blanket I took from the closet and used to cover our baby. Definitely a choking hazard. However, when I made them aware of it, they called the housekeeping manager and asked him to check all the other blankets to ensure that there are no more pins in the blankets. Like others, we heard a lot of street noise, but we didn't care because the quieter rooms don't look toward the lake. Besides, what do you expect when staying in a hotel that is smack in the Magnificent Mile?
We will definitely return to the Park Hyatt in the future, as we visit Chicago fairly regularly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family