“Outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Iowa
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Wow. This is a great hotel. It is so artistic and beautiful. We had an 11th floor King room for two nights, using Hyatt points.

Pros (well, some of them -- there are so many!): The room was gorgeous. There was no lake view, but our city view was lovely. The window seat was a nice touch. There were electric blinds and also black out blinds. The bathroom was amazing, with so many amenities and a two person jacuzzi tub for two, complete with bath salts and candles. It was a getaway without kids, so the romantic room was appreciated by my husband and me. The bath amenities were so nice. The staff were warm, friendly and helpful. The restaurant, NoMi (named for North Michigan) was beautiful with huge windows looking over the city and lake. We had a wonderful lunch (salmon for me and sushi for my husband) that was to die for. We later had an equally impressive breakfast, and even got to shake the hand of a serious, big time celebrity two tables down from us. The afternoon lemonade and iced tea was greatly appreciated as the temperatures soared to 100 degrees. The hotel is wonderfully located on the Magnificent Mile, walking distance to the river, the lake, the beach, Navy Pier, House of Blues, the Hancock Center, and scores of restaurants and retail shops. We took an architectural cruise and a bike tour and walked to both. We saw a show at Second City - we walked there (about 1.4 miles) and took a cab back.

Cons: Almost none! There was no coffee machine. Though coffee was available in the lobby it would have been nice not to have to shower and dress before getting that first cup. Street noise was a minor annoyance. A higher floor would have been nice, but it would certainly not stop me from coming to this hotel.

Heck, I'd like to move in!!

Room Tip: Try for a high floor to avoid noise. I'm sure a lake view would have been beautiful, but the ci...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel was SO beautifully decorated and nicely themed. It was such a joy to be in the hotel, even when I was in the heart of Chicago. The outdoor terrace was so nice to enjoy during the summer whether it was for drinks or the GREAT Sunday brunch.

Normally, I find the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts Program to be a scam but it was actually nice to have this time. I was given a great room on a high floor, great views, and a lovely bathroom. Breakfast was also included plus $100 to spend on drinks or food-I spent it on the Sunday brunch.

Service was excellent as usual and the concierge was helpful. Definitely returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peter R, General Manager at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Park Hyatt Chicago and sharing your review on Trip Advisor. I am very glad to hear that you found comfort in your room and appreciate your compliments about our team. We are also delighted to hear that you enjoyed drinks and brunch at NoMI Garden. We look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again!

Kind regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I booked our room and then immediately regretted it. From the photos and other reviews, the hotel did not seem kid-friendly, and we were traveling with a six-month-old and a six-year-old. Fortunately, on such a busy Chicago weekend and week, we couldn't find accommodations elsewhere with which we were satisfied, and that ended up being fortuitous for us. We loved the Park Hyatt so much that we extended our stay. In fact, I began writing this review when we were still in the hotel -- I couldn't wait to sing their praises. The staff, rooms, and services are second to none.

We had a room with two double beds. It was lovely and spacious. They deep bathtub was luxurious, and the whole family each got their soaking time (even the baby). The beds were soft and comfortable. But the pièce de résistance was the huge window looking down over the Water Towers and Michigan Avenue and out to Lake Michigan. It was gorgeous. My son was so mesmerized by all of it that he took the cover off his bed and curled up in the window seat each night. We had to wait until he fell asleep and then carry him to his bed -- he wouldn't budge from his perch. I will always remember that.

Their staff is not just polite, they are warm. The rooms are magnificent, and the view is indescribably beautiful. My son curled up in the window seat every night to watch the lights of Michigan Avenue below. He asked the attendant at the registration desk for a room up in the sky, and that's what we got!

The registration attendants gave my son a backpack with crayons and activities when we checked in, and they delivered two gigantic lollipops and a sweet note on our second day there. We had breakfast on Monday morning, and we were the only people there with kids. My daughter fussed a bit, and I felt a little self-conscious about that; however, I think that was just me. The waiters were really great, and the food was excellent. My son ordered another waffle after polishing off the first.

Besides for the restaurant, I used their gym one morning. The facility was clean and functional, and I didn't have to wait for a machine. The valets were always quick with the car and helpful when unloading and loading, which made the $62 a day for parking a bit less disturbing.

My only complaints: we could hear our neighbor on our second night. We heard every word he said. Also, there was a large safety pin in the lovely blanket I took from the closet and used to cover our baby. Definitely a choking hazard. However, when I made them aware of it, they called the housekeeping manager and asked him to check all the other blankets to ensure that there are no more pins in the blankets. Like others, we heard a lot of street noise, but we didn't care because the quieter rooms don't look toward the lake. Besides, what do you expect when staying in a hotel that is smack in the Magnificent Mile?
We will definitely return to the Park Hyatt in the future, as we visit Chicago fairly regularly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Yes, this is a great hotel. Excellent service. And the food...see further below. But the first question you need to ask yourself, before you sign up for the high price to stay here, is: "Are you stylish enough?"

If this was a Clint Eastwood movie, I would add, "Well, are you punk?"

However, this isn't a spaghetti western. Think of it as a Fellini movie. Yes, one set in Chicago and updated with a sushi restaurant and vaguely-Armani clothes on all the staff. (Real Armani is a few steps away, if you need it.) Even the food looks good. Fortunately, it also tastes great. Even breakfast is great. The wine is overpriced, but the view is terrific from the 7th floor restaurant, which is confusingly named the same name as the spa.

There are a few annoyances with all this style. For one thing, the corners and turns to navigate the place are often really tight, and confusing. Don't turn right out of the 7th floor elevators to go into the restaurant. Yes, that is the restaurant, but there is a big glass and chrome door there and it is closed for part of the day. Instead, go the other way around. Try to find the coffee in the morning without asking anyone. (If you do it in less than two elevator trips, you beat my record.) And, some of the bathrooms have screens that open up to the windows and the rest of the room. Try to remember to close them. If you don't, any room visitors might be staring at you.

But, this is a Fellini move, and you'll look great.

Arrivederci!

Room Tip: If you have difficulty moving around, have small children, or need to use a walker or wheelchair, yo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed on the 10th floor of the Park Hyatt for a long weekend of business meetings mixed with some pleasure. Although our hotel room was somewhat small, the bathroom was nothing short of grand. The hotel had the most deepest marble soaking tub I've ever seen complete wiht lux bath products and even candles. It was the most luxurious, relaxing bath I've ever had! We loved the area surrounding the hotel which included nice shopping and restaurants. We had a few hiccups with room service, but the rooom service manager, Pam Ireland, invited us to the high end hotel restaurant NoMi for complimentary breakfast. The breakfast was outstanding, and the food was truly a labor of love for Pam and her staff. Fresh eggs, Neuske bacon, and the best waffle my husband has ever had! Our served Luiz could't have been kinder. The Park Hyatt has a rooftop cocktail bar with amamzing views and unique handmade cocktails which was a great way to end our night. Our room had a great view and a very comfy bed, so I shall be sad to check out later today. If you're ever in Chicago, the Park Hyatt is truly a hotel experience not to be missed. From the time I slipped into the hotel's Frette robe until the time we checked out after breakfast, the entire time at the hotel was outstanding. I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: The higher floors have the best city views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Julie,
Thank you for choosing the Park Hyatt Chicago for your recent trip Chicago. I am happy to hear that our location suited you well. I apologize for any incidents with room service but I am glad that Pam helped to resolve any issues. We greatly appreciate this honest feedback as we always look for ways to improve guest experience.
We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Regards,
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This property is impressive, with imposing lobby, large and comfortable rooms, well-equipped bathrooms, large showers, and good quality amenities. The outdoors bar on the 7th floor is attractive and has the right vibe. The gym and lap pool are all you need to stay in shape. The staff is helpful. I needed a iPhone charger and quickly got one. My only complaint was that my room 302 was lovely with a great terrace, but noisy. I could hear every siren and other traffic noise. Overall my experience was excellent. I will return because the hotel and the location are excellent. As I have said in other reviews, I have recently turned into a Hyatt fan. This hotel gives me plenty of reason to stay loyal!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Laura,
Thank you for your continued loyalty and support of the Hyatt brand. It is a pleasure to know that we are able to deliver the high level of service that you expect. I am very sorry for any inconvenience that the traffic noise may have caused you during your stay.
We appreciate you taking time to review the hotel on Trip Advisor and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Park Hyatt Chicago!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here for my birthday (worth the trip from the north suburbs)...Excellent location right on the Mag Mile, across the street (well, almost) from Water Tower Place. The view from our 10th floor room across Michigan Ave to the lake was wonderful, both day and night! Large soaking tub, Eames-style lounge chair - very relaxing. My only gripe was parking - $54!!!!

Room Tip: Request a higher floor (to avoid street noise) facing the lake (East).
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends