“Very Nice Hotel, Great Location. Some NICE perks”
Review of Park Hyatt Chicago

Park Hyatt Chicago
Ranked #14 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed at the Park Hyatt for four nights, 3/11-3/15 on business. My wife and daughter came along since it was her Spring Break. I strictly stay at Hyatt properties when possible, due to my Passport status.

ARRIVAL: (10/10)
We arrived via our car around 9:30pm and were greeted by the front door staff and valet with a smiling face and WELCOME! They were this way the whole time, always asking if they could help with something. Even the Park Hyatt Manhattan didn't offer this level of 'first impressions'.
Valet is $54/day so be careful if you drive in.

CHECK-IN: (9.5/10)
Not a bad experience. Only one worker at the desk and one at the concierge. Waited for about five minutes and another staff member saw me and rushed to assist. A quick set of directions to the elevator and we were up to room 1202 (Water Tower and Lake View). Our bags came right behind us by a great bellman.

ROOM: (10/10)
We had two Queens. The size of the rooms are very nice. Beds comfortable, ample pillows, nice TV. Wi-Fi in the room was pretty weak, but I used my mobile hot spot which preformed better. The closet was a little on the small size for three people in the winter, but not a problem of the hotel! My wife packed too much :-)
LOVE the bathrooms, which are all granite. Walk-in shower ++++ and the hug tub for the wife and daughter. A little TV was a nice touch in there as well. The WC was seperated by a door which was nice. The min-fridge in the bar was not all that cold, so the drinks in it were cool at best. Not cold. Not biggy though. Free bottles of water provided each day. Just the little things.
Amenities : Bathrobes, shoe shine machines, bathroom esentials (Toothbrush, paste, etc). Ice, you can call the front desk and it is at your door within ten minutes.

AROUND THE HOTEL : (9.5/10)
The family loved the pool and spa and I agreed. Hot tub and lap pool. Never saw another soul in there. Same with the gym. The dressing rooms had nice locker areas and a big glass cooler of raspberry ice water (real raspberries) in them. Nice touch Hyatt!

Restaurant, NoMI (NORTH MICHIGAN), as expected very expensive but the food was nice. The staff Very nice! Portions small. The girls spent $55 on breakfast which was french toast and pancakes. There are many options to eat outside the hotel so explore a little for your breakfast if you want.

Evening at NoMI changed in personality and staff changed to a younger crowd . We walked in and entered the bar, a voice "Do you need something?" a Hyatt lady asked (hostess), No, just looking for a seat to eat. "You need a reservation" and she hurried off to the podium in the other room. Ok, well no worries. We had a cocktail and grabbed the hotel courtesy car (BMW 5 Series) +++++++++ for some local fare. Maybe she was having a bad day, but she was not too friendly.
That courtesy car will take you to anywhere within 2 square miles of the hotel. So I took it to the office daily. Very nice. Driver knew his job and did it well. No small talk unless engaged. Good man though.

Loved the lobby sitting area. There was a pantry area which had coffees, teas, water and sodas 24/7.

CONCIERGE: (10/10)
Karen was wonderful. She arranged dinner reservations (10th wedding anniversary) at Benny's Chop House. She also reserved the courtesy car for us. Nice job.

CHECKOUT: (8.75/10)
The day of departure, we always check around everything for left items. Our daughter six found a nice condom wrapper (from a previous guest) which was in the night table drawer. She is six and asked about it. I called the bellman and valet for bag pick-up and our car. I went to the front desk to check out and presented the condom wrapper to the young lady (in a plastic bag) and said "My daughter found this in our drawer from a past guest". She grabbed it stuff it below the desk (I guess in the trash) and asked how our stay was. I couldn't say bad, because it was not. Things go wrong, people have bad days, but I am booked again at the Park Hyatt in another three weeks. This is my new Hyatt in Chicago, even if it is further from where I commute for work. Hats off the the Park Hyatt!

Room Tip: East facing rooms will have more 'noise' from emergency vehicles due to the hospital and fir...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Walter B, General Manager at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Chicago. I appreciate your comments and apologize for the situation you encountered in your room upon your departure. Please rest assured that it has been addressed with the appropriate members of the management team. We certainly hope to welcome you back in the future for an opportunity to restore your confidence in the Park Hyatt Chicago.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

After being dazzled by the Park Hyatt in Tokyo I was determined to try as many Park Hyatt's as I could find and afford. Even after Tokyo, Chicago's Park Hyatt reigns. Not only does it satisfy my need for deluxe accomodations but i am as at home here as anywhere in the world. Without a doubt this hotel is my favorite home away from home. I believe this was my sixth or seventh visit and I have always been met with delight, satisfaction and a feeling of well being. The Park Hyatt is an urban experience hotel with the feel of resort living, and it never hurts to be in my favorite city in the States.

Room Tip: square on with the Water Tower--my partner loves to take a bath in the tub overlooking the Water tow...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bart16
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business and it is a great hotel. The staff are very helpful, the room design and layout is very good and the bed is perfect shame about the jet lag. Overall I highly recommend this hotel with a good city centre location.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here as a couple for a luxury weekend break. The main attraction is the location, which is in front of the water tower.

Pros: There is a wonderful little restaurant (NoMi) which people actually come from elsewhere to experience. The flavors are subtle and original. The spa area has a good swimming pool and there is a steam room in the locker area. The spa has the full range of services, some of the people who work there are very good. The gym gets a 7/10. The rooms overlooking the lake are a wonderful experience. Rooms with a bath have a huge tub, you can open up to both the bedroom and the bathroom area, and have a social romantic bath experience. The lobby area is beautiful, geologists would be particularly fascinated. In fact I recommend you walk in and take a look even if you're not staying here. Unlimited tea and coffee in the lobby area is of good quality. The staff is always helpful. The location is super for shopping on and off Michigan avenue.

Cons: The entryway is a bit poor despite the beautiful lobby just beyond. Hard to walk in with a suitcase, even for the staff.

Room Tip: Try for a lake view; room with a bath.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goanywherefast
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Outstanding hotel (as is the rest of the chain). My room was spacious, great bathroom, beautiful lobby. It is in a great location. I spent the weekend in Chicago for a conference and was able to walk wherever I wanted to go. I would definitely return here next time I am in Chicago.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Walter B, General Manager at Park Hyatt Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at the Park Hyatt Chicago and taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am extremely happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience and that you found our location convenient. We hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I had a great stay at the Park Hyatt - perfect location for a first-time visit to Chicago. The room was very spacious, modern, clean and there was a huge bathroom. The restaurant upstairs was great for breakfast and also for drinks at night. The staff was always nice and helpful. I definitely would recommend it to anyone visiting Chicago.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Wonderful stay at the Park Hyatt. The rooms are spacious, up-to-date and spotless. Wonderful bathrooms with a huge tub and shower (we had a water tower king). The space is very well designed so you can, for example, access the closet from the hall or bath. Staff sent a lovely dessert and sparkling wine for our anniversary. The conciege (Kurt) was masterful. Great recommendations and help with reservations. Spa is small but very nice. There is also a small 3-lane lap pool, steam room etc. The desk and spa staff were incredible -- both attentive and efficient. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Park Hyatt Chicago and for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your room and our amenities. I am also very happy that you were pleased with our courteous staff and thoughtful service. We hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Regards,