“Rude. Noisy. Clogged. Foggy.”
Review of PUBLIC Chicago

PUBLIC Chicago
Ranked #91 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Rude. Noisy. Clogged. Foggy.”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Arrived at 4pm and was told my room was not ready.
I had been traveling since 3am and was exhausted.
I sat in the lobby for an hour.
The man staffing the desk was extremely rude.
There are two eateries on lobby level, making it very noisy and crowded well into the night.
The air conditioning unit sounds like a jet plane taking off.
The sink and tub drains fill up with water quickly due to poor drainage.
There is no fan in the bath so I had to leave the door open when showering.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
D G,

I am truly sorry about your experience at PUBLIC. Please contact me at your convenience so we may discuss your concerns further.

Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The restaurant and bar were fantastic but the rooms made me feel as if I was in a nice college dorm room with "IKEA-like" sparse furnishings. What a contrast to the inviting lobby area! And its the only place in recent history where I had to ask for a bar of soap after the room had been attended to AND they do not provide any hair conditioner. The cleaning service also decided to give us one clean towel instead of two despite the fact that it was clear that we were two in the room. So strange. Its as if management instructed them to conserve on soap and towels.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
323PaulH,

It is wonderful to hear that your impression of the Pump Room bar and restaurant was fantastic! I really enjoy the ambiance, service and of course the food/drink as well(the prosciutto wrapped pork chop is phenomenal!) I am sorry though that the room furnishings were not up to par for you. I have heard from a few guest's that it reminds them of Ikea, which I'm not sure how to take. I happen to love Ikea, but I can understand it is not for everyone. Our furniture in the room is actually high quality and was hand picked by our owner/designer Ian Schrager which is to say there was quite a bit of thought behind it.
In response to the soap issue, yes you most certainly should have had it in your room. We actually had problems with our supplier and what should have taken a few days to deliver went for a few weeks so we did have to tighten up a little. But have not fear, we are swimming in soap now and would be happy to give you as much you could ever want the next time you stay with us.

Thank you for your time and feedback,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The room was fine for a road-Warrior and maybe a trendy couple. My major complaint was the height of the platform bed. Far too low and I am less than 6 feet tall.

I would say the top of the mattress was maybe 14 inches off the floor. the bed is worth a one star demotion for me.

Great location, clean and staff seem friendly. Maybe more trendy than I needed but I got a good price on Hotwire.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello MinnJimm,

I am very happy to hear that you thought the staff was friendly, the hotel was clean and that we are in a great location! I have to agree with all of those statements as well. I love our location, and feel like the staff here are family. There is also not enough to say about our housekeeping department, they work very hard to keep this place immaculate! I am sorry that you are not as big of a fan of our platform beds as we are.(We are pretty excited about them) I know it can be a big difference from what most people are used to.

I hope that you will come and visit us again soon, we can even add another mattress on there for you to make you more at home.

Calgary, AB
Reviewed July 11, 2014

So close to being a 5. Stayed for a week with great friends. Definitely liked returning each time and soaked in the whole "feel" of the place. There were times where the service was outstanding: visiting with the bartenders, a great Pump Room meal, being welcomed by concierge and set-up, breakfast drop-offs (breakfast room service is adorable with the Public Express system). Other times the service was a bit of a miss with some confusion and chaos, even indifference/passing off.

The rooms are are clean and comfortable. Simple white motif, and beds were great for crashing after Chicago adventures. Others have mentioned that you can hear word-for-word the tv's in the rooms mounted behind the beds and that's very true. Our neighbours were enjoying lots of funniest home videos. The sinks have a trickle of water and are giant rectangles: alright to look at but makes you wait for housekeeping to have a clean, usable sink for next time. Our wall clock was only right twice a day but nbd.

There was a real elegance to the common spaces. Old mixed with new. The lounges and restaurants were a real hub. Buzzing and trendy. Beautiful design elements (and reflections of them) great you each time you arrive. Computers for use. Coffee, wine. Pump Room all there, and each time exciting.

Location is great. So close to the coast (great for fireworks); awesome neighbourhood and a stone's throw from Olde Town. Every cab driver knows where Public is, didn't even have to mention Gold Coast.

Not sure if the PUBLIC is a work in progress... some of it seems so great. Just missing a little extra edge to make it amazing: not quite anticipating what folks are looking for. I would return for sure, but think it could be a real destination. Alllllmost is. Pulling for the place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travis R
PUBLIC H, Front Office Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Travis s,

I have to say, you are very thorough with your reviews! I really enjoyed reading your descriptions of the hotel and it's ambiance. I hope you do return again soon so that we can push for the 5 of 5. I will also be happy to take some of the "needs improvement" items to the appropriate people so we can fix the issues.

STAYPUBLIC

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I booked a room at PUBLIC Chicago last minute after visiting a friend downtown. I couldn't have picked a cooler and nicer hotel. I was able to check in early and was greeted by 3 different staff members while I was walking in and felt very welcomed. Awesome lobby and bar. Very fashionable crowd and fellow guests who I chatted with in the lobby. One of the managers, Bryan, made sure my room was perfect and gave me some great ideas while I was waiting for my friend to meet me for dinner. Sad I didn't get to eat at the Pump Room but will for sure on my next visit. Hoping to be back soon! PUBLIC is the place to be!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Ben s,

I could not be happier to hear that you were greeted by three different people while walking in! Bryan is terrific and I will be sure to tell him that you said so. We would love for you to come visit again soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed here for one night on business in Chicago. As others have mentioned, it's centrally located with a plethora of fabulous restaurants in the area. I ate at Table 52 and the food was excellent. This is an old building and I love old buildings but if you are looking for brand new contemporary, this isn't your place. They've done a nice job of making the rooms contemporary and comfortable. The bathroom was small but clean. The rooms were quiet. I thought the hallways were dark but who spends time in the hallways? The bar seemed quite lively but I didn't go in. I called in the morning for my car and the valet made sure it was waiting for me. Nice customer service!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
swanchat56,

Hello! I just wanted to thank you for taking the time and posting your kind words on tripadvisor. We love to hear this information and share it with the associates. I love the food in the Pump Room as well(the fried chicken is amazing!) We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

STAYPUBLIC

Reviewed July 8, 2014

The PUBLIC Chicago is a lovely hotel in a lovely area...when seen from afar. The design is crisp and modern, with beautifully soothing monochromatic palettes throughout the hotel: white in the lobby and rooms, a deep taupe in hallways. Overall, the effect is calming and pleasing to the eye. The issues for us arose when we experienced some of the details.

Cons: the actual detail work in our room was oddly shoddy...paint streaks, stained carpets, and roughly patched walls. The worst part was a basic mistake in the room's setup. The television in the neighboring room was mounted on the same all that the head of our bed was placed against. The effect was (alas) that we could hear every word from our neighbor's flatscreen as the vibrations were conducted through the wall. This did not help us sleep well. (Yes, there are options like asking politely to turn it down, calling the front desk...but this is the first time in decades of hotel stays where this has been necessary for us.)

Pros: the style really is lovely. The bath was deep, and the shower stream was strong. The bed was deeply comfy. The hotel itself is perfectly located...the area is quiet and beautiful, but it is walking distance to the shops and restaurants on the Mag Mile, and to the beach. The Pump Room is a decently good restaurant. Exceptional design scheme. Service was good.

Verdict: I want to like this hotel based on the superficial qualities, but when it comes to our actual stay in the room we paid for...we can't say we really enjoyed it. You can do as well or far better for the same price or less at a multitude of nearby hotels. If you like the design of the PUBLIC, I particularly encourage giving The James a try.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple