“My Favorite Hotel in Chicago”
Review of Ambassador Chicago

Ambassador Chicago
Ranked #99 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 14, 2014

First of all, I'm a huge fan of Ian Schrager Hotels and this one does not disappoint. I grew up right around the corner from this hotel and it was going downhill until Ian Schrager bought it and turned it into the hippest hotel in Chicago. I stayed at Public Chicago December 6th through the 8th, 2013. When you enter the hotel there is a classy feel to the lobby and on the left you have the swanky pump room. (Definitely a scene!) to the right, is the front desk and a more chill lobby bar.

The check in experience was fantastic! Thanks to Nicole at the front desk for being so kind, knowledgable, and accommodating. She was able to arrange a spectacular room on the 15th floor for me. Walking down the hallway to the room there is still the feel of the old classy Ambassador East. But then you walk into the room and you remember you are not just in any ordinary hotel you are at an Ian Schrager hotel. My gosh did Nicole take care of me! The living room was in pristine condition as well as the bedroom and bathroom. The suite was immaculate it was very simple yet modern and chic. From cool art and the huge clock hanging on the wall in the living room, to the comfy bed and couches, and the spotless bathroom, everything was simply amazing! I was so impressed, that when I entered the room I took pictures and sent them to my girlfriend because I wished that she could have enjoyed it with me.

I will definitely recommend Public Chicago to all of my friends. In fact, I already have my next trip booked and this time i'm bringing my girlfriend:). Hopefully, I will have the same exceptional experience.

The location can't be beat! The Gold Coast, is by far, the classiest neighborhood in Chicago. It's three blocks to the lake, two blocks to Rush street and right by the red line.

As a regular traveler, I would like to give kudos to the general manager and her impressive staff. Beyond the ridiculously phenomenal room the service was what really made my stay special. From my experience with Nicole at the front desk, all the way to the housekeeping staff, each employee I encountered were extremely friendly, professional, helpful and accommodating. I was truly impressed by every aspect of the hotel. It is truly a gem. While traveling to Chicago in the dead of winter I was pleasantly surprised by my experience and will never go to another hotel in Chicago again... This is the place to be. I can't wait to go back next week with my girlfriend... Thank you again to Nicole at the front desk and the rest of the Public staff for making my stay truly exceptional. As a person who has stayed in countless hotels I am beyond impressed and will be a loyal guest at the Public hotel for any and all trips to Chicago in the future.

Room Tip: Be nice to Nicole at the Front Desk!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Luv2travel4fun123
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Luv2travel4fun123,

Thank you for sharing your lovely compliments! I truly appreciate you taking the time out of your day to review us so thouroughly and I am immensely pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us. A memorable stay such as yours is what we aim to deliver to every guest, and your elation is what makes all our efforts worthwhile. I have shared your comments with Nicole and the team as well, and we are all very excited for you to return next week.
Please feel free to contact me directly upon your return, I would love the opportunity to make your aquaintance.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed here with my husband and his family. The hotel lobby is beautiful. Super trendy, great bar, great restaurant. The elevators are very slow, which is a minor detail. As we stayed at the hotel during the summer, the air conditioning unit in the window seemed outdated and was very noisy, but again minor detail. Do not miss the restaurant!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Sara C,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Public Chicago. I am glad you found the hotel beautiful and trendy. Apologies with regards to the speed of our elevators. As a renovated hotel, we aimed to maintain some of the nostalgic charm, and the elevators due have limitations on speed. I am glad you enjoyed the restaurant and look forward to welcome you back for an overnight stay, or to dine at the Pump Room., when you do, please let me personally assist you with your arrangements.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel offers up a first class stay at the most reasonable prices! They have a wonderful staff who are all friendly and anxious to be helpful. While it is considered a "hip" hotel, there is never any attitude from them. The decor, while modern is tastefully done, from the lobby to the rooms. The on premise amenities are ample including my favorite, The Library Bar which goes from a coffee bar in the morning to a fun place for drinks later on in the evening/night. The Pump Room Restaurant offers up great food as well. They also have a great workout room which is important as I like to keep fit on the road. The location couldn't be better! You are in the heart of one of the most beautiful residential neighborhoods and yet a stones through from Michigan Ave. Rush St, etc. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Denise S,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts! I appreciate you taking the time to review us and further appreciate you choosing to stay with us in the New Year. I am very pleased that our team was able to leave you with such a positive impression, and I hope that you stay with us again in the very near future. The beautiful Gold Coast neighborhood where we are located is truly spectacular and I am so glad that you enjoyed your experience. Please feel free to contact me when planning your next visit to Chicago!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I loved this hotel! From arrival to departure, we had a fabulous stay.

We arrived fairly early in the morning, fully expecting that our room wouldn't be ready-- imagine our elation when it was cleaned and ready to go at JUST the moment we checked in. There's really nothing like an early check in to get your stay off on the right foot.

We had a Loft King Suite, which is a junior-suite type room. We felt spoiled when we realized our room was on one of the top floors, and on a corner; what a view! The room itself was a great size, with enough space to lounge and relax on the blusterier nights.

I really should have made note of the different staff members we encountered, but they were all so pleasant to deal with, we lost track after the first day. They really do seem to want to make your stay as memorable as possible, and it shows in their interactions.

Our first night in, we had dinner in the Pump Room. Great atmosphere, very buzzy and excellent people-watching. Food was very good, and our waiter was a blast (again, I'm terrible, I've forgotten his name... Roger, maybe?)

I was surprised by how much I loved the location. Normally, I stay closer to the River or the southern end of the Mag Mile. This was a new location for me, and I have to say, it's my new favorite. I loved all the beautiful old townhomes, and the relative quiet of the neighborhood. We could walk to the Mag Mile in a few minutes, but not having all the holiday craziness right on top of us was wonderful. There were excellent restaurants and shops walking distance from the hotel, and coming back felt like returning to a really fun, chic oasis.

If I had to give constructive criticism on anything, it would be what I assume are the valet guys out front. Some of them would smile and say hello as you walked up, but others looked pretty grouchy. I realize they're not the doormen, but would be nice to have a warm smile as you return rather than a scowl. Also, the carpet in our room was coming up a bit at the corners and had a stain in one spot; nothing major, but perhaps a future project.

These are such small points, I hesitate to even mention them, but it's all about full disclosure on TA!

I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat, and hopefully will soon!

Room Tip: Go for the Loft Suite! A few extra dollars, yes, but a guaranteed memorable trip.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear RunCatchKiss,

Thank you for the wonderful review! I am very pleased that you enjoyed such a memorable experience while staying with us. I am even more elated that our team was able to accommodate you so warmly; those corner rooms are a personal favorite of mine. In our strive for excellence your positive feedback is always appreciated, and I agree that a warm welcome on all our many faces is an important area to develop and I will certainly look into the carpeting for the future. Thank you again for your loyalty and please feel free to contact me at any time when planning your next visit!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Just stayed at Public Hotel for New Year's Eve and had an incredible night. While expecting a wait time for check in and crowded lobby, everything went smooth & seamless. From being greeted at the front door to being handed my room key took all of 3 minutes. While getting ready in our 1BR suite for the NYE party in the hotel's lobby we ordered room service. The food arrived within 25 minutes and everything was delicious. Thank you Public and we're already thinking about booking another room for next year!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Lonnie-R,

Happy New Year to you from the entire team at the PUBLIC Hotel Chicago. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to see you next year, but really hope before. If I can assist with your arrangements, please reach out to me personally.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Several friends and I stayed at the Public for New Year's Eve and attended their NYE event. My one-bedroom suite was spectacular for the price/location, and the staff couldn't have been more attentive. I had enough space for a gathering of friends before the hotel's party began, and room service made sure I had everything I needed (pizzas, dessert, glassware, cut-up limes/lemons, ice, etc...). The food was great by the way.

The NYE Event was attended by an upscale, well-dressed crowd (as well as some local celebrities including players from the Chicago Bulls and Bears). The party was tastefully done with a food buffet, VIP table seating and original artwork displayed throughout. Security was plentiful and professional. Special thanks to our server Eliana, the event hosts Laura and Rita, and the hotel's GM Kathryn for making this night and our stay an unforgettable one.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear RBJChicago,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am appreciate of your wonderful comments and am pleased that you enjoyed such a memorable New Year’s Eve experience. As you noted, our PUBLIC Express room service offerings are plentiful, and I am elated that you were fond of your suite. I hope you do choose to stay with us again to experience the variety of guestrooms we offer here. I have personally shared your compliments with Eliana, Laura and Rita, and we are all excited to see you return in the near future.

Please feel free to contact me upon your return to the area, I would love the opportunity to host you again.

General Man

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed with my fiancé, our newborn and even our dog! We felt very welcome, even though we weren't the ideal hotel guests.

The room was very big after an upgrade to a one bedroom. It was clean, sytlish, and quiet.

The restaurant has amazing food and a great crowd.

Room Tip: See if you can get one of the rooms that ends in 15. You get a nice sized bedroom with a huge sittin...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank VinceAnz
Kathryn D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear VinceAnz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you choose to return in the very near future. As you noted we are a very dog-friendly hotel, and I am glad that we were able to accommodate your family so comfortably. Please feel free to contact me when you return to the area, we eagerly await the opportunity to host you again.

Kind regards,