“Trendy hotel with very helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of PUBLIC Chicago

PUBLIC Chicago
Ranked #88 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Trendy hotel with very helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

This hotel has been updated and is now a very trendy place to see and be seen! I attended a wedding in Chicago and stayed at the Public for two nights. The front desk staff was very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful - actually they were some of the most pleasant front desk persons I've met in a long time! The room was redecorated in modern, minimalist style. It had a huge walk-in closet which was a nice bonus. The bed was comfortable. I did not eat at the hotel, so cannot judge the restaurant. The hotel is walking distance to the Lake and is conveniently located in the Gold Coast District.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravelFan48105
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear TravelFan48105,

I am so glad you that you enjoyed your stay with us while you attended your wedding here in Chicago. Thank you for your comment with regards to my Front Desk Team, I am very proud of the service they provide. I am glad you enjoyed your room and our location here in the Gold Coast. We look forward to welcome you back in the very near future and hope when you do you have a chance to dine with us.

kday@publichotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

I recommended The Public for my aunt while in town for the holidays- we have been to the pump Room and loved it plus the gold coast location is beautiful. Upon check in they had hot chocolate, candy canes and we were greeted by the GM Kathryn Day who is amazing. Within a day I moved my parents from my apt (crowded for the holidays) to a suite which they could not be happier with. The bar service by Gus was excellent- great drinks and awesome burger:) The have been helpful in managing the holidays which i greatly appreciate and most importantly everyone is happy. As a travel agent and native New Yorker I have always been a fan of Ian Schrager hotels- when in NY my favorite night of the year is their Christmas Eve celebration in Gramercy Park. This hotel outdoes the others with service and it is extremely reasonably priced. Had I not received their emails with upcoming holiday special rates we could have been in a much less elegant location. Thank you for your hospitality!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear maray28,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay experience at the PUBLIC Chicago. It was a pleasure to meet you during this visit and I am so glad we could ensure you’re Aunty and Parents were comfortable during the holidays. Thank you for your acknowledgment of Gus at the Bar. I will ensure I pass your compliments on to him. On behalf of my team and me, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back, even if just for a drink or dinner.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is a recently updated hotel that we stayed at for 3 nights. Easy walk to restaurants and shopping. It is very contemporary. The large flat screen is nice and bed is ok. Staff was friendly from the front desk to the valets.

1 Thank Ctjones4
Kathryn D, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you Ctjones4 for your review of your three day stay with us at the PUBLIC Chicago.

Thank you for your acknowledgment of our staff. I am very proud of them and their passion for what they do.

My team and I look forward to welcome you again in the very near future.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Wanted to stay in the Gold Coast neighborhood and this was our first choice.
I made the reservations (2 rooms), my husband checked in with 2 different reservations numbers, and the second reservation could not be found. Luckily there was availability and they honored the fare for the second room. When we went to the front desk later in the night, we gave the name in which the second room was under and they found the reservation right away and subsequently canceled it. I'm still baffled as why they couldn't find it with their hotel confirmation number, but could with the name. Staff apologized. Upgraded both rooms to a king suite which was a pleasant surprise.
Had a nightcap in the Library bar, $28 without tip for 2 drinks, considering the area probably close to the norm.
We choose a rate that for $5 more included the Public Express Breakfast~ highly recommended, and a delicious breakfast delivered to the room (knock & drop) in 10 mins or less. We received a phone call from the restaurant when ours would be a few minutes late. Final bill included the cost of the Public Express breakfast (in error) and was promptly removed when my husband pointed it out.
Will definitely consider staying again, when looking for a hotel in the neighborhood!

Dear MIcalobeco,

Please accept my sincerest apologies with regards to the confusion upon your check-in. I have addressed the issues with my Front Desk team to ensure such issues don't occur for you or other guests. I am extremely happy you enjoyed our PUBLIC express option for breakfast, and I am glad we were able to resolve the billing issue at departure. Please contact me directly when you do plan to return so I can personally assist with your arrangements. I can be contacted at 3122296700, or kday@publichotels.com.

Best regards.

Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

It is so rare that one will find a trendy and hip hotel with a staff that is friendly and helpful - For those of you who have not discovered The Public Chicago, you'll want to give it a try when next visiting "The Windy City".

Once you meet Kathryn Day, general manager, you will understand why this place operates the way it does. I have stayed at many less stylish hotels throughout my former career as a photographer and many times just felt disappointed with the lack of friendly service - a cold experience.

The rooms are large, comfortable, and stylish. The Pump room is second to none for dining and cocktails. Do yourself a favor and stay in the hotel one night for dinner. During the afternoon check out the Library and Coffee Bar for a beverage and snack and then again prior to dinner for excellent cocktails.

Oh - forgot to mention the great location of The Public. Close to Lincoln Park, right in the middle of The Gold Coast, and just a few blocks from the restaurants and shops of Oak Street and Michigan Avenue. I guess you can tell that I'm a huge fan.

1 Thank Lou S
Dear Lou S,

Thank you for your review of your stay at PUBLIC Chicago. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel and the service my team provide to our guests. I am extremely proud of them and their passion for what they do. I am so glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the Pump Room and the amazing food and cocktails available there, as well as our cozy, yet vibrant Library Bar. I am super excited you are a fan of my hotel and can’t wait to personally welcome you back.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

---was made perfect by staying at this hotel --spotless ,courteous friendly helpful staff,--I will be back..THe Pump room served exceptional food ,and service second to none ,very helpful when checking out---even printed our boarding passes for us.

Room Tip: FIrst time staying so no comparison Maybe go higher
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AWK1950
Dear AWK1950,

I am thrilled you enjoyed the service of my exceptional team of staff. I am so proud of the service they deliver as well as our Michelin Bib awarded Pump Room team partner. On behalf of my team and myself look forward to welcome you again to the PUBLIC Chicago and the Pump room.

New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed in early December 2013 for a two day business meeting. The location is good, the lobby is reasonably cool, and the room was fine. For a business meeting though, I want a room with good desk space (and pen and paper readily available).

Room was clean but I had trouble getting the heater to get above 65 degrees. Not the end of the world, but I expect better when traveling.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear David M,

I appreciate the time you have taken to review your experience with us at PUBLIC Chicago. Thank your or your feedback with regards to the room. Our hotel has a range of room options available that are fitted with large working desks. Please accept my apologies with regards to the heating unit in your room; as you noted this should not be a concern when travelling. I encourage you to contact me directly when you return to this area so I can personally ensure on your next visit that he room is equipped with a supply of paper and pens to assist you to be able to work efficiently. I can be contacted at 312 229 6700 or at kday@publichotels.com to assist with your arrangements.