Ambassador Chicago
$519
$490
$428
  • Room Service
The Talbott Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$679
$1,049
$975
The Peninsula
  • Pool
Hotel Versey - Days Inn Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$289
$254
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$399
  • Breakfast included
$618
  • Pool
Kimpton Hotel Allegro(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$515
getaroom.com
  • Bar/Lounge
$594
getaroom.com
1,732 results
All reviewspump roompublic hotellibrary barthe gold coastian schragergreat neighborhoodboutique hotelrush streetcommon areasguest roomslincoln parkfew blocksupon checklake michiganmag milethe magnificent milelobby
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I booked this hotel after weeks of searching for a place to relax with my beau after we returned from deployment. I was super pumped when the day finally came for our first visit to Chicago. So we are finally at the hotel:
PROS: the location was nice and quaint; the ocean was literally two blocks away from the hotel & viewable from the street....there were several blocks of various restaurants to choose from....the movie theater was about a 15min walk, which we did not mind...the farthest walk was to the Navy Pier, which was pretty cool, but not so exciting to go a second time. The lobby area of the hotel did LOOK as seen online. The hotel staff was very courteous and the concierge was very knowledgeable. The bed was comfy and my beau loved the pillows.

CONS: The lobby/bar/restaurant area LOOKED extremely nice & luxurious to sight, but lacked quality!! We dined for breakfast (eggs benedict was awesome) the first morning, however, my second visit was terrible. It seemed as though preparing a fully cooked pancake stack was like asking to make a new creation, never done before. The cooks kept drenching the pancakes in butter/oil, whatever they used and the pancakes were just soggy...TWICE! We restocked our fridge with locally bought items for a fraction of the cost.
Now for the most disappointing part... THE ROOM (superior king). Comparing this room to my living situation in Afghanistan, then yes, this room would have been incredible. UNFORTUNATELY, this room....did NOT meet my expectations in any area besides having cable. -Entering the room, the closet was on the left and was so old and squeaky -the bathroom was very small with dim lighting -usually bathrooms would be stocked with complimentary soaps, lotions, etc and would be replaced daily...NOT HERE! They did not even offer a complimentary razor, so I just bought a pack from a local store for a fraction of what the hotel wanted for a single one; the tiles and vanity were so basic it was annoying to look at -the furnishing were so freaking cheap...I think IKEA could have done a better job. -the off-white carpet had a huge orange stain near the bed in plain sight! -the carpet throughout the room was not fully installed, which I thought was just ridiculous! They really had cows for artwork on display. -"complimentary" wifi for ONE device...in what world does that make sense. The overall quality of the room was POOR! We requested additional towels be brought up to the room...the housekeeper brought two wash clothes and did not ask if more/different ones were needed. The AC unit face covering was falling off and rattled at moments.

PRO/CON:
Saturday night after dining in the pump room (lamb chops were good, but not impressive), we made our way back downstairs to enjoy the lobby/club scene. I think, just being dressed up set the mood for me; I really enjoyed myself and no one seemed to be making trouble! What I did NOT like was that the partying was right in the middle of everything. So for guests simply wanting to use the computer "lab", they would be surrounded by loud noise and too many people, etc. The hotel should try to separate this "night scene" in order for guest to still have their privacy, relax, etc.

BOTTOM LINE...I would NOT stay here again. For the price of the room and what you actually got...very disappointed. It seems as though all the costs went to the first floor lobby area!

Room Tip: See if you can see the room BEFORE your stay! ;-)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Denise L
Viviana R, Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for your candid feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the location and some aspects of the hotel but not all of them. I'd love to know what room you were in so I can ensure we get the AC unit fixed and carpets replaced. I will also address your concerns with our culinary team to identify how to better expedite pancakes.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The positives:
- The neighborhood is gorgeous
- The location is an easy jumping off point for Chicago, cabs were plentiful and always available
- The hotel staff are fantastic, everyone I interacted with was knowledgable and courteous
- Public areas are well designed with interesting architecture

The issues:
- The bathroom light was out, it wasn't replaced after a request was made
- The bathroom was tiny, my knees bumped the wall while when using the restroom
- Most importantly, on weekend evenings this hotel's lobby is populated by some of the most obnoxious people you can imagine. The public spaces are filled with leering men and drunk women, all posing while EuroDance pounds away in the background.
- These patrons leave the hotel very loudly, making it difficult to sleep before 2 am if you have a street facing room.

If you're into this scene you'd likely find this place interesting, but I prefer a hotel where I don't want to run immediately to my room to avoid this mess upon returning from a night out.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Viviana R, Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thanks for your note about your stay. We couldn't agree more about the location, staff and architecture. I'm sorry to hear about the bathroom lighting...we will get right on that for the next guest. As for the weekend, I'm sure you are aware that it was Lollapalooza and that could certainly be why our lobby was such a hot spot. We hope to see you back sometime in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Wasn't sure initially whether it would be better booking a hotel on the Magnificent Mile, but was so pleased we didn't as I hated that part of the city - too much like Oxford Street. The Public is in a quiet, upmarket area with the beach one end of the street (albeit over a very busy road) and the shops about 20 mins walk away.

We loved the vibe of the hotel; if you're looking for something grown-up, this is the place for you. We ate in the hotel bar one night and the restaurant another and loved both, though must admit it bites into your wallet, it's not cheap!

Nice touch to have free use of hotel bikes for cycling along the lake or around Chicago.

Our room was one of the larger ones, bright, and quiet. My only gripe would be the stinginess of the bathroom goodies - the shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser that was left in the room every day was barely enough for one person and pretty unappealing. Another strange thing about the room was that the safe, in the hallway cupboard, was so high up only my husband could reach it.

Would definitely return to the hotel, thinking about a repeat visit next year!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a larger one and ask for a high up floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Viviana R, Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thanks for the great feedback on PUBLIC. We truly appreciate you candor and are happy that you will be back for a future stay. Make sure to dine in the PUMP ROOM on your next visit as our menu is seasonal!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Pluses:
- Gold Coast location: nice feel of a (very) exclusive neighborhood; there are not too many hotels in this area. We enjoyed taking walks in the area and admiring the beautiful and stately homes. There are shops, upscale small markets, etc. several blocks away
- The Pump Room restaurant: Our dinner there one evening was quite good, with a chilled pea soup nicely spiced with a bit of heat from jalapeno, and a very tasty kale salad with mint and a light creamy vinaigrette. We were very, very pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the food preparation. The waitstaff was also very sweet, helpful, and efficient.
- The public spaces: the juxtaposition of old-world style (high ceiling, stately columns, inviting corners with big leather chairs, etc.) with modern whimsical touches (spoofs of old Dutch masters paintings, exuberant chandeliers) is interesting.

Minuses, and these are considerable:
- Guest rooms: Our "superior" king is spacious, but the furnishings are so cheap it's ludicrous and ridiculous! We are fine with the clean lines and unfussiness of "minimalism", but everything in our room -- the flimsy work area including the uncomfortable chairs, the very plain carpet, the basic bathroom tiles & vanity, etc., were just simply cheap, flimsy, and tacky! A few photographs on the wall of cows wearing different hats cannot redeem this cheapness. For how much they charge per room (> 400/night), this is appalling.
- Service: Very uneven. Our check-in was smooth and well-done; our check-out was not, with a long wait and no additional staff coming on to help the next guest(s) in line --at all. We were also told that their "complimentary" wifi was only for one device per room! When we explained that we always selected the no-additional fee option whenever we logged in, the check-out staff then told us that she would "waive" the extra fees for us this time, but that we should keep this one-device-per-room policy in mind for "the next time". First of all, for a hotel that tries to promote such a hip and trendy aura about itself to appeal to the totally connected crowd, it's simply laughable to think their guests will come with one device/gadget per room! Secondly, there will be no "next time" for us at the Public Hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback on the hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the Gold Coast location and the PUMP ROOM. I'm sorry to learn that you didn't like some of the features in the guestroom. Please do let me know if we can win you back for your next stay in Chicago.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I got a great deal on Priceline ($118) and had a great stay! Everyone was very friendly, from the front desk to the valets, bartender, and housekeeping staff. Yes, it is an old renovated hotel, but it worked fine for us. We figured out the privacy shades on our second night, and that helped us sleep in. We loved the Gold Coast neighborhood and the hotel was fairly convenient to the subway. We also walked to Michigan Avenue without much trouble. We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

THANKS so much for the review. We couldn't agree with you more - from the service to the neighborhood - we think PUBLIC is a great hotel in a great location. We look forward to seeing you back soon!