“Sexy Hotel...”
Review of Ambassador Chicago

Ambassador Chicago
Ranked #100 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at the Public Hotel in December and loved it! Usually get a standard room but decided to upgrade to a celebrity suite. The suite is awesome! Very large with 2 full bathrooms, a separate living room with decent size TV and a separate/standard bedroom. Highly recommended for entertaining a small group. The hotel bar is nice and trendy. Pump Room is always good for dinner (definitely want to try brunch one of these days). Hotel also has a decent (quick) 24-hour room service menu which is always nice....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank VIPTraining
Philip D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Thank you for your 5 Star review.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed one of our Celebrity Suites, the Pump Room and our game changing PUBLIC Express room service. Our brunch in the Pump Room is amazing and I hope you do try it. It is very popular so please call and make a reservation!

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Regards,
Philip Dailey

Write a ReviewReviews (1,698)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I thought this hotel's concept was really cool and most of what Ian touches is amazing. I was a little underwhelmed to be honest, however, upon staying. The rooms were quite bare - I know they were going for minimalist but the toilet and bathroom was not even updated from apartment furnishings (no backing on toilet). The lobby area is where they spent all the money and it shows - lots of smoke and mirrors. Location is ok - not ideal but would be workable if the hotel offered more for the money. Overall, there are much better options in Chicago... try a Kimpton

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Philip D, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit.

Perhaps you will give us another opportunity in the not too distant future. I am sure you will find something to like about the Pump Room, The Library, one of our Celebrity Suites, etc.

We hope to welcome you back!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Quickly becoming my Chicago favorite. Great rooms and incredible staff. I almost hate to give it a great review because I don't want it to be full when I come back next time. I was impressed by how quiet it was. Most hotels I have been in are so noisy. Not sure how they do it but great service and accommodations for a super value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased that we are one of your Chicago favorites and that you enjoyed our "great rooms and incredible staff."

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed at the Public on the recommendation of a friend and have to say it really was a mixed bag. Customer service as others have stated was great. The lobby decor was top notch. However once I got to my floor (the same floor the gym was on, don't remember the number) I began to realize this is just an old hotel with a new coat of paint. Literally. The whole floor smelled, especially near the elevator, was dimly lit (this always makes me seems like they are hiding something) and the paint looked really cheap. Once in the room, it was very trendy and very clean.

Bathroom was odd, definitely needs renovated...looks like the same bathroom from 1930. I want to stress it was not dirty or in disrepair, just very old school and utilitarian, and again, kind of dingey.

Anyway, if I had a choice I would stay at one of the big box hotels on the loop over the Public. There I know what I am getting and its a consistent experience. I would try the Public again, but only once they fixed the infrastructure side of things.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank nmiler84

Thank you for your comments on the design of the hotel.

I am very pleased that you considered our customer service to be great!

We hope that you do return to visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Public Chicago has some fantastic employees. Their heart of service and making sure we had what we needed was great and very accomodating. The room was great, small but very clean and comfortable. Really enjoyed our time we were able to socialize with family and friends in the lounge/library area. We enjoyed staying there. I will give a shout out to Butch McGuires Irish Pub, right around the corner for great wings and service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for recognizing that PUBLIC Chicago has some fantastic employees!

We love taking care of our guests and we hope that we will be able to extend our service to you again soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

"It's such a fine line between hip and kitsch" and PUBLIC Chicago manages not to cross that line. As a local it's my go-to property recommendation for visitors in their 20's - 30's seeking some place a little chic and edgy. There's some pretention here, but it's minimal.

VALUE
Best value in the city. Right now the Hotels Tonight app lists is at $95, and I've found this price online before. That's less than the cost of one night's parking at some Chicago properties. Our group room rates were in the low-$100's per night.

LOCATION
I love this location in the Gold Coast: 5 minutes to Lake Michigan and 10 minutes to premium shopping and restaurants, but nestled in a residential neighborhood offering some of the best home-viewing in Chicago. Walk North on State and back on Astor for a look at some seriously gorgeous abodes.

RESTAURANTS & BARS
Go no further than the bars off the lobby for excellent people-watching: you will see everything here. The Pump Room is classy, but not overly-expensive, with above-average food: it will impress your guests without putting you in debt. Flattering lighting.

LOBBY & COMMON AREAS
A tiny-bit over the top, but a nice enough place for whiling away time. Cozy coffee outlet. Don't miss the photos of stars who visited The Pump Room during its glory days, just downstairs off the lobby. Free, easy internet use.

ELEVATORS
Too few and too slow.

MEETING SPACE
I've attended and held meetings here. The space on the 17th floor offers a spectacular deck and view of Chicago. A private room on the first floor (used for the public on Friday and Saturday nights) feels more like hanging out in a sexy den than a meeting room. The spaces are good for smaller-to-medium sized groups. Food and beverage prices are high.

GUESTROOMS
Minimalist, lots of white, very typical Ian Schrager (think Delano) decor. Geared for those with contemporary tastes: people seeking luxe and plush may be unimpressed. Low beds, which made no difference to me, but some men in our group commented on them.

OVERALL
Staycation-worthy, for me.

If you're seeking an active, exciting hotel while you're in Chicago and your tastes are more trendy and modern, stay at PUBLIC Chicago.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Esme_Travels

Thank you for your positive review and 5 Stars.

We are pleased that we are "stay-cation worthy" for you and we hope to see you back at PUBLIC Chicago soon!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Contrary to other "super hip" boutique hotels this one makes you feel like you are part of the scene and feels genuinely welcoming. The design is really wonderful and not in your face. Starting with the installation of dozens of crystal chandeliers on entry, all the common areas are a fantastic balance of restraint and visual delight. That's why Schrager gets the big bucks, I guess.
Guest rooms might be a little too minimal but they are cool as well. No complaints. Best thing about the hotel is the staff. Everyone acts like a non-intrusive friend. Intuitive and responsive, it is they who really make this an easy and fun place to stay at a reasonable price. Because of this, the bar and delicious Pump Room are a busy place!! (Still can't get over the lighting installation and the silver leaf bar- just fantastic!) Staff succeeds at keeping up but it's a challenge. We brought a big crowd and they completely handled it. We live in the Chicago area and will come back again and again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review and positive comments!

We are pleased that you like the design of the hotel but it is the hotel staff that will inspire you to return.

We look forward to welcoming you back!