“Very good, a few issues, but would still highly recommend”
Review of PUBLIC Chicago

PUBLIC Chicago
Ranked #91 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Toronto, Canada
“Very good, a few issues, but would still highly recommend”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Have read the reviews and most are pretty accurate.

Common spaces: Common spaces are amazing. Don't under estimate the feeling of being in a cool and laid back public space at a hotel. It impacts your stay. The library room, the computer area were so beautiful and cool.

Resto: The inhouse resto, the Pump Room is stunning and we had breakfast, lunch and drinks there - each top notch. We also had coffee and pastries in the LIbrary room which were excellent. Yes. It does get supper hopping on Fri/Sat night but we loved coming back to our hotel for a drink before bed.

Rooms: We stayed in a Loft King, which is one of the higher end rooms. The space was great. It felt new and clean. I liked the open airy feel - so different from a mainstream hotels. Bedding was so soft. Bed firm. Pillows excellent. Temperature easy to control. The bathroom was little tight - agree with other reviews, but it didn't bother us at all. What did bother us was the noise. You can hear people in the room beside you and we didn't appreciate being woken up at 6am by them. My husband is a heavy sleeper so he didn't notice. Having said that, I would 100% stay there again in spite of that. It wasn't a big deal and frankly have experienced it at many hotels. So don't let that stop you - just get some earplugs.

Service: We had great service from Christopher the concierge. He helped with a spa booking and dinner. We didn't like all his choices for dinner, but should have researched a bit more on our own and trusted our instincts.

Location: We loved being outside of the noise and chaos of the Mag Mile. Quieter hood. It was a bit of walk to get right downtown, but we liked that (work off the food). It's close to the water if you like to run, bike or wake.

Bikes: Careful with the Public bikes, they are first come first served. But there is a bike rental place about 15 walk away along the water.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. We were on the 11th floor and didn't hear a beep from the bar. We did...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your great review! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Peter Walterspiel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed two nights(7/12, 7/13) Greeted warmly by the staff outside that provided direction on where to check in. The lobby with white accents, linens, set a comfort of coolness, airness about the place. Prompt, efficient check-in. Room was available, which was nice, since I arrived early. Elevators were prompt. Room was done in white textures again, from the bed linens, to the drapes, very nice, very restful. Bed were comfortable and rooms appeared to be sound proof.
When i walked up a short flight of stairs, I knew this was going to be a very exciting place. The Pump Room, to your left as you walked in, was cool and classy. The lowlight really made the ambiance of settling in for a cocktail or two.
This hotel is in a GREAT location... 4 blocks south of some of the best shopping in the city along with a variety of excellent restaurants. 4 blocks to the West was Old Town. this area is definitely young and hip crowd. BTW, you are just 2 blocks from Lake Michigan where you can sunbath at either Oak St. Beach or North Ave Beach. To the North, you have Lincoln Park with a vast array of walking trails, and if you decide, you can even visit the zoo.
The service was great from the porters, front desk, and staff. The concierage, Chris, was very helpful with directions, and suggestions to eat.
Had a great time, great place.. will be back!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the great review you wrote following your recent stay. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Busling Ian S hotel with great cocktails and magnicent food at the Pump Room. The rooms look a but worn for being so new... But super clean and comfortable. The public spaces are great for connecting, checking emails and relaxing. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Lucianaramsey
Thank you for taking the time to write your review after your recent stay with us. We are working hard on keeping PUBLIC in tip top shape and look forward to your next visit.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Nearly everything about this hotel is what I love about staying in hotels. Superb customer service (becky at the front desk, I'm talking about you), hip, but approachable vibe, fabulous bar area stocked with gorgeous, friendly, efficient servers, adorably dressed doormen, comfortable bed with divine sheets and great pillows.

Only two minor negatives kep this from being the perfect place. first, when did four star hotels start using airport grade toilet paper? A small thing, but I noticed and surely others have too. Second, the AC unit is under the window such that if you close the window to keep out light, you also close off the only available way for the cold air to get into the room. I've been in other hotels where they cut the fabric so the air flow was not impeded.

Other than those two small things I couldn't have been happier with the location or the decor or everything else regarding this great hotel! The fact that I got a great deal through an Internet travel site didn't hurt!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for writing such a wonderful review, Becky in particular was thrilled to have been mentioned by name. Please let us know when the time is right for you to return so that we can address any particular needs you may have.

Washington DC
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during the work week. The rooms are very modern. Clean white walls, modern accent pieces. Very comfortable bed, clean, up-to-date bathrooms, quiet stay. The one thing I would have liked is more outlets in the room. That's probably because I was traveling with lots of electronics that needed to be charged.

Our meeting space was on the top floor of the building. Very comfortable, great food and service.

Overall a wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lauren P
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you very much for the kind review of your recent stay with. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us along with the meeting space you were in and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I've stayed at Public Chicago at least 4 times and it had become my go-to hotel for business, as I'm in Chicago frequently. Up until my last stay, I had loved it. Trendy hotel, great library bar, and phenomenal restaurant. Up until my current stay, my only suggestion would have been to improve the toiletry products. They are very cheap and not up to the standards of the hotel.

Unfortunately, my last stay last week (for 5 nights) was ruined by spotty customer service, and I may not be back. First, I arrived with large pieces of luggage, and as I struggled to get them out of the taxi, the outside personnel completely ignored me. Not even a, "can I help you?" And the door wasn't even opened as I struggled to get my three pieces of luggage through the door. However, one bout of spotty customer service was not enough to color my entire experience. Missing my wake up call later during my stay and the reception's response, however, was.

On the last night of my stay, I made a routine wake up call request for 2 wake up calls and was greeted with attitude out of nowhere. I'm pretty sure I did nothing to warrant it. Out of an abundance of caution, I set another alarm as well. Fortunately, I did, as my wake up call was completely missed. I've never had that happen before at any hotel. I understand that mistakes happened, but given the random attitude I received when making the request, I cannot help but think this was no mistake. On checking out, the reception offered me a free coffee. I'm sorry but missing a wake-up call is a very big deal for a hotel. Many people rely on them entirely. I was surprised the manager was not alerted and found the reception's cavalier response to be troubling. Chicago has many great 4-star hotels to offer, and I'm about 50/50 to return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. As you know from the previous visits to PUBLIC we treat our guests right. I am very sorry that we missed the mark on your last visit and really hope that you will come and stay with us again the next time you are in Chicago. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Melbourne
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great hotel. Loved the quirky touches in the room. Pump Bar was a great way to drink away 4 hours after flight delayed. Great service, never had to wait for a drink. Will stay next time for sure.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at PUBLIC Chicago, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for the great review! We hope to welcome you back soon! Warm Regards, Peter Walterspiel, General Manager